Cowboys sign Prescott to a 4 year contract

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How Dak Prescott’s contract came together and where the Cowboys QB is in his ankle rehab
By Jon Machota Mar 10, 2021

FRISCO, Texas — Stephen Jones doesn’t agree on everything with his father when it comes to contract negotiations. There was that time in September 1995 when things got so heated between the two over Deion Sanders’ record-breaking deal that Jerry Jones found himself pushed up against a wall, asking his son if he was about to hit him.

It never got physical between the Cowboys’ owner and executive vice president while negotiating Dak Prescott’s contract, a four-year, $160 million deal that was signed Wednesday.

Jerry Jones joked that his son now has more of a physical advantage than he did 25 years ago.

“We didn’t have any of that shoving up against the wall,” he added during a Wednesday news conference at The Star to discuss the largest contract in franchise history. “We really knew that this thing was going to get done. We knew that at all times, which was an assumption that it was totally in our control to get it done. Surely, with my gift of gab and a checkbook, I could talk him into signing something.”

Stephen Jones agreed that there was never a contentious moment with his father because they knew all along that something would get done.

“We all know how important these quarterback deals are,” Stephen Jones said. “There’s so much unknown out there in the quarterback market right now, and you want to get this right. And we’re so convinced that we got this right. And you have to get this right or it really sets you back. We knew it was going to be the biggest deal ever done in the history of the organization, and we had to get it right. I’m convinced we did. We did it with the right guy. And I know we’re going to be successful.”

There were initial reports that the contract came together in roughly a day of negotiations between Stephen Jones and Prescott’s agent, Todd France, last weekend. Both shared Wednesday that the negotiations were much longer than that. Stephen Jones estimated about three to four weeks, adding that France “beat me to the punch, picking up the phone and calling me.” That was a significant moment for a negotiation that at different times went several months without much communication, if any.

France said it just reached a point a couple of months ago when he decided there’s no reason to play games. That first call then led to a period of consistent progress. He noted that an underrated part of the negotiation was Prescott’s patience. Most expected a contract extension two years ago when Jerry Jones said a new deal for their franchise quarterback was “imminent.”

Throughout the past two years, there wasn’t much information about the negotiations coming from Prescott’s side. The reported updates mostly came from the Joneses.

“My whole theory is just I would rather be in the background and try not to make it a media circus, more than it already was without me speaking,” France said. “I had to bite my tongue for two years. I do have a list of some people I want to call, and I will do that because some of the things that were said were just so out of line and not accurate. It’s frustrating because what am I going to do, come out and win the battle and lose the war? ‘Jerry said this, but that’s not true.’ There’s no value in that to me. At the end of the day, I’m not trying to win a media battle, I’m trying to negotiate a contract the best I can for the player and get him what he deserves. And that’s ultimately what we did.”

Prescott shared Wednesday that he knew things were getting close about a week ago when France told him that he and Stephen Jones were on the same page. On Monday, he asked France to send him a text whenever he had an update. A couple of hours later, France called.

“It was done at that point,” Prescott said. “It’s behind me. If anything, that’s what it’s more about, free headspace. Get that behind me. I don’t have to dodge y’all’s questions or hide from y’all on that point. I can just move forward and worry about winning, and winning a Super Bowl.”

Prescott is 150 days removed from suffering a severe ankle injury that ended his season in Week 5. He has since had two surgeries on that ankle. He’s not ready to fully return but says he’s getting close. His responses Wednesday suggested that he’ll, at the very least, be ready for the start of the season.

“I thought about jogging out here and jumping up on stage,” he joked. “But I don’t know if you all are ready for that. But I’m healthy. … I’ll control what I can control. I’ll follow the doctor’s orders the whole time. Put my own work ethic into it. I’m healthy, I’m getting close. I’ll be ready when it matters.

“I can do a lot of things I couldn’t do weeks ago or even days ago that I am doing today. So it’s hard to say I will be ready at this time or that time. I will be ready when it matters. I will be more than healthy and better than I was before.”

As difficult as it might be to believe, Prescott said multiple times Wednesday that he never doubted a deal would eventually get done and he would fulfill his dream of being a Cowboy for life. Cowboys executive vice president Charlotte Jones told him Monday that when he signs the contract, he’s a “Cowboy forever” and he “can’t get out.”

“I’m excited for that,” Prescott said. “I’m excited to be here, to never leave, and excited for what this organization, what this team, what the fans are going to get. I’m excited just to go do it and just to know that this is my home, I’m not leaving. I’m a Cowboy, and this is only the beginning. Just so much excitement for everybody that is involved and invested.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
“My whole theory is just I would rather be in the background and try not to make it a media circus, more than it already was without me speaking,” France said. “I had to bite my tongue for two years. I do have a list of some people I want to call, and I will do that because some of the things that were said were just so out of line and not accurate. It’s frustrating because what am I going to do, come out and win the battle and lose the war? ‘Jerry said this, but that’s not true.’ There’s no value in that to me. At the end of the day, I’m not trying to win a media battle, I’m trying to negotiate a contract the best I can for the player and get him what he deserves. And that’s ultimately what we did.”
I don't think he is very fond of the Jones's or the way they do business.

Cotton

Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think he is very fond of the Jones's or the way they do business.
Well I think in this one case with the sheer amount of money and cap commitment though their being deliberate was to be expected.

The Joneses eventually got the five years they wanted all along (1y 31m + 4y 160m) which averages to 38.2 million a year and 126m guaranteed.

If you factor that they got solid starting QB performance for 4 yr(s) and a total of $2,723,393 before that, Dak has been a steal at 9 years $194,132,393 for a total average of $21,570,265 per year.

A one in a hundred shot in the 4th round landed this franchise a huge payoff, starting QB locked in at 2013 prices on average.

Unfortunately we suck at taking advantage of our own good luck, never getting past the divisional round in Dak's first five years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Unfortunately we suck at taking advantage of our own good luck, never getting past the divisional round in Dak's first five years.
What makes you think the rest of the team was good enough in that half decade to get past the divisional round?

It is like a carbon copy of Romo, unfolding before our eyes.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That 13-3 team was good enough to beat a Packers team that got absolutely demolished the next week in Atlanta.

They just didn't do it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What makes you think the rest of the team was good enough in that half decade to get past the divisional round?

I actually think Dak is more steady than Romo. Romo was awesome at times but every few games it was like he was bound to have a real stinker.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

What do you think ‘unfortunately we suck at taking advantage’ means?

There’s a track record here

Cotton

Staff member

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom