Cowboys sign Jason Peters

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Watched about 250 snaps in total of Peters in pass protection and my opinion hasn't changed, he'd likely be the best OT on the roster (pending how quickly Tyler develops) and there's little difference between him and Whitworth, at least in pass protection.

Watched him against the Steelers, Raiders, Bucs, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals and 49ers and he was left out on an island consistently against the likes of Shaquil Barrett, Chandler, Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, Myles Garrett, and so forth (Bosa and Watt almost never line up across from the LT). So basically some of the best edge rushers the league has to offer.

He gave up 1 clean sack to Ngakoue, 2 to Garrett (although one of them took about 4 seconds from snap to end of play, which some might consider a coverage sack) and 1 to Hendrickson, while giving up next to nothing against everybody else, to include top-level players like Barrett and Jones.

The only guy who really consistently beat him up was Myles Garrett, which is about what you'd expect from a top 3-4 edge rusher in the league. Even though Ngakoue and Hendrickson got him for a sack he was left on an island against them most of the time and held his own.

I cross-checked this against Whitworth against the Bengals, Packers, 49ers and Ravens and their level of play was more or less the same.

Whitworth got roughed up by Rashan Gary a bit for a sack and some holding calls, gave up a sack against Hendrickson, and gave up some critical plays against Ebukam on the 49ers who Peters routinely beat.

The biggest issue I see with Peters is his lateral agility picking up stunts/twists and blitzes, although it's hard to really blame him for missing pickups there since it often comes down to coordinating/communicating that with the other OL, the RB and even the QB. He's stiff and upright when attempting to change directions quickly, and struggles doing so, but that's a relatively minor issue when you can count on him to not embarrass himself on an island against top edge rushers.

The only concern is his age, you never know when someone that old will fall off a cliff, but if he could give us the same level of play as last year I honestly don't think we'd see a huge drop off even from Tyron.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watched about 250 snaps in total of Peters in pass protection and my opinion hasn't changed, he'd likely be the best OT on the roster (pending how quickly Tyler develops) and there's little difference between him and Whitworth, at least in pass protection.

Watched him against the Steelers, Raiders, Bucs, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals and 49ers and he was left out on an island consistently against the likes of Shaquil Barrett, Chandler, Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, Myles Garrett, and so forth (Bosa and Watt almost never line up across from the LT). So basically some of the best edge rushers the league has to offer.

He gave up 1 clean sack to Ngakoue, 2 to Garrett (although one of them took about 4 seconds from snap to end of play, which some might consider a coverage sack) and 1 to Hendrickson, while giving up next to nothing against everybody else, to include top-level players like Barrett and Jones.

The only guy who really consistently beat him up was Myles Garrett, which is about what you'd expect from a top 3-4 edge rusher in the league. Even though Ngakoue and Hendrickson got him for a sack he was left on an island against them most of the time and held his own.

I cross-checked this against Whitworth against the Bengals, Packers, 49ers and Ravens and their level of play was more or less the same.

Whitworth got roughed up by Rashan Gary a bit for a sack and some holding calls, gave up a sack against Hendrickson, and gave up some critical plays against Ebukam on the 49ers who Peters routinely beat.

The biggest issue I see with Peters is his lateral agility picking up stunts/twists and blitzes, although it's hard to really blame him for missing pickups there since it often comes down to coordinating/communicating that with the other OL, the RB and even the QB. He's stiff and upright when attempting to change directions quickly, and struggles doing so, but that's a relatively minor issue when you can count on him to not embarrass himself on an island against top edge rushers.

The only concern is his age, you never know when someone that old will fall off a cliff, but if he could give us the same level of play as last year I honestly don't think we'd see a huge drop off even from Tyron.
Props. But I am assuming you do not work?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He's said he's fine being a backup and not even playing LT.
If he can net more than he got last season from the Bears, I am sure he would be more than happy with it at age 40.

Now will Goof Son be willing to pay that for insurance?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I guess @Rev 's Golden Corral coupon wasn't enough.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If he can net more than he got last season from the Bears, I am sure he would be more than happy with it at age 40.

Now will Goof Son be willing to pay that for insurance?
Probably negotiating offset language or some obscure shit as we speak.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess @Rev 's Golden Corral coupon wasn't enough.
It sounds like they really didn't do shit today.

And it is only a 3 hour drive from Queen City, if that is where he was at.

The coupon will be whipped out tomorrow.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
"Jason, we would've signed you, but we don't have any XXXXXXXL pants."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At the end of it all, the longer this draws out, the more likely it will be that it comes down to contractual horseshit, which means we are now down to circumcising the mosquito.

That's what is so infuriating.

Yes, we get it you fucking retard. You are a cap wizard, not Cap Boy. You have all this space because you are smaht.

Now fucking sign the guy.

Top Bottom