Cowboys sign Jason Peters

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Here is my thing...they can pay anyone whatever they want on the PS now?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Here is my thing...they can pay anyone whatever they want on the PS now?

Here is a good article from a year ago on the new practice squad rules.

From the article:

Teams are more reluctant to add good free agents to the active roster because they have these extra practice squad spots to dangle. They know some players will take those offers because they might get activated on game days, which means one week's pay at an NFL salary.

The veterans minimum is $990,000 for players with 4-5 years of experience, with a sliding scale to $1.075 million for seven years or more. Those amounts are prorated based on number of weeks on the active roster.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It is not at the level of getting Whitworth, but it is worth a shot.
I'm about 100 or so pass rush reps in right now and I'm not sure he's that much worse than Whitworth. I watched Tampa, Vegas and the Steelers and he was left on an island pretty consistently with the likes of Shaquil Barrett, Ngakoue, Crosby and a young promising guy on the Steelers, Alex Highsmith, and he only got beaten cleanly maybe 4-5 times in about 110 snaps. Gave up one real sack against Ngakoue, a couple of pressures where he got walked back near the QB on a bull rush, but aside from that he was mostly clean.

I'll have to watch a little bit of Whitworth for comparison's sake but I saw Whitworth get whipped a few times last year and can't imagine he was significantly better than this.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that he's better than Terence Steele though, at least what I saw of him last year, and depending on how quickly Tyler gets up to speed he may in fact be our best OT on the roster if they end up signing him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Doesn’t look bad, but it helps the QB isn’t sitting back holding the ball forever like Dak is inclined to do.
That could be a problem.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd bet Tyron's "numbers" from last year are pretty similar.

But as Duke said, box score numbers don't mean shit and that's even more true with OL and even DL to an extent. For example, in the 100ish snaps I watched it was pretty apparent that Fields has terrible pocket presence and was often running himself into sacks by moving into guys who were generally blocked.

There was one play against Tampa where Peters had JPP easily blocked, totally out of the play, then Fields tried to run in that direction and basically ran right into JPP's arms. To me that's a rep Peters clearly won but the box score might have knocked Peters for giving up a sack.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Sometimes sacks are on the QB. Fields had horrible feel for the pocket.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think the Ticket said he's coming to town tomorrow, so I wouldn't think it would happen before then. But it sounds pretty good.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the Ticket said he's coming to town tomorrow, so I wouldn't think it would happen before then. But it sounds pretty good.
Gehlken, who is basically a team mouthpiece at this point, said he's visiting today. He's also alluded to the "PS being complete" after a "potential Peters signing" several times, which is seemingly his way of saying he's going to be signed since he's made similar vague but insinuating comments in the past prior to signing an FA.

It basically seems like they want to bring him in to make sure he's in decent shape before signing him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know this is already up. Only posted because it's the best highlight music I've ever heard.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We're getting hyped for Peters and watch they don't sign him. :lol
They are going to insult him with a low offer but include a coupon to the Golden Corral.

Top Bottom