Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ernie is a product of the Jones era . A 30 year drought will do that.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Dude was so damn fast.
Especially for a back his size.

Back in the 80s there was a picture of him running track at UGA in SI or something with the caption "Would you tackle this man?" before he went to the USFL. He looked like a weight lifter in track gear.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Back in the 80s there was a picture of him running track at UGA in SI or something with the caption "Would you tackle this man?" before he went to the USFL. He looked like a weight lifter in track gear.
This is where I CSB you with my story of seeing him at the Dallas Times Herald indoor track meet. I wasn't there this year -- it must have been either 84 or 85 -- because when I went he was already in the USFL and ran in the Pro Football 60m dash with Doug Donley, IIRC Phillip Epps, and a few other NFL names. He won, of course. The term "freak of nature" is overused now, but he really was. Hard to believe a guy that big could move that fast.

This is a pic from the same meet in 1983, when Carl Lewis is setting a 60m indoor best of 6.02, and barely beating Herschel.

gettyimages herschel carl lewis times herald 60m sm.jpg

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Herschel was so damn good. Rushing for 1500+ on that shitshow we called a team then? He was literally the only thing defenses had to worry about when playing us. And he still dominated.

Just think about what he could have done in his first 4-5 years if he actually had a team around him. Unbelievable. This is why I feel he should be mentioned more in the all time greats conversation.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Herschel was so damn good. Rushing for 1500+ on that shitshow we called a team then? He was literally the only thing defenses had to worry about when playing us. And he still dominated.
And that was after years of being beat up playing 18 game seasons in the USFL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Especially for a back his size.

I remember that article thinking there was no way the Cowboys could ever draft him

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Butch Johnson could be entertaining.
View attachment 693501
Great TD celebration that he only got to do 28 times in his ten seasons.

He kind of got too big for his britches and ended up getting traded for Mike Renfro.

What is funny that the Oilers (Hugh Campbell) grew tired of him within a single preseason and traded him to Dan Reeves in Denver for a third.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Great TD celebration that he only got to do 28 times in his ten seasons.

He kind of got too big for his britches and ended up getting traded for Mike Renfro.

What is funny that the Oilers (Hugh Campbell) grew tired of him within a single preseason and traded him to Dan Reeves in Denver for a third.
the TD catch in the SB vs Denver was a thing of beauty.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Irvin does pull him with his right hand as Lake gained interior position. It’s real subtle but he grabs and pulls him away from the path of the ball or it’s an interception. Lake falls down on his own.

Irvin admitted in a postgame interview regarding that play that part of his job is to prevent Troy from being intercepted.

I’m kind of respect-angry that Lake had such good coverage. He wasn’t buying the flag Irvin was selling, and cut post perfectly.

Top Bottom