Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Irvin does pull him with his right hand as Lake gained interior position. It’s real subtle but he grabs and pulls him away from the path of the ball or it’s an interception. Lake falls down on his own.

Irvin admitted in a postgame interview regarding that play that part of his job is to prevent Troy from being intercepted.

I’m kind of respect-angry that Lake had such good coverage. He wasn’t buying the flag Irvin was selling, and cut post perfectly.
Y’all can quit yer bitching. Refs tried to steal it but we won anyways.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Eh, I don't believe him...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Eh, I don't believe him...
I think he wanted to light a fire under Aikman and also hedge his bets just in case.

Everyone knew Walsh was not cut out for the NFL, but thankfully there are still suckers out there who got swept up in Johnson’s sway.

Walsh must have been worth a lot because Johnson said he was. I can’t imagine otherwise a single play of his college career led anyone to believe he was worth a 1,2,and 3.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Everyone must not have known then...

And Jimmy sure as shit didn't throw a first round pick at a guy who he didn't think was cut out for the NFL.
How’d that end up there, 11 year career backup, one year above 60% completion percentage (barely), purely on the reputation of his pedigree which was set by Johnson when he drafted him in the 1989 supplemental draft.

Jimmy was partial to his Miami guys, that’s for sure, and gambled on his own ability to trade Walsh later after Aikman won the job. Jimmy also gambled on his own ability to win right away, which he didn’t of course.

Walsh milked the Cowboys’ single win in 1989 like no QB has before or since. Total noodle arm, but somehow people kept believing he was an actual NFL thing.

Ironically, no way in Hell does Jimmy pick him if he thinks he’s trading away the 1990 #1 pick overall (which it ended up being).

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jimmy with some revisionist history there to make himself look better. It was pretty well talked about at the time that Jimmy wasn't sure Aikman had "it", wasn't sure he was the guy who walks in the pool room and sinks the 8 ball. Jimmy considered Walsh a winner from the Miami days, so he wanted him as a hedge.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Man, we were just so damn good back then at winning those slugfests.

Yeah, we had all the elite talent in the world but we had the heart and grit to match too.

1:53:30 -- :cool:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Wow, I didn't remember how full of castoffs that Eagles team was. Ken O'Brien, Herschel (sadface), Bavaro, and James Lofton?

Actually 8-8 was probably pretty good for playing a backup QB most of the year. Kotite > Garrett

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Yeah, we had all the elite talent in the world but we had the heart and grit to match too.

That field looks like a high school field.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That field looks like a high school field.
Welcome to 1980s/1990s astroturf fields.

Also, listen to all those Cowboys fans when Emmitt seals the game late.

Could you imagine that many visiting fans in Philly today?

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

Staff member
Welcome to 1980s/1990s astroturf fields.

Also, listen to all those Cowboys fans when Emmitt seals the game late.

Could you imagine that many visiting fans in Philly today?
Yeah, they were loud.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

They showed a graphic of Harper after he caught a ten yard pass. 16 catches for over 400 yards. 😳 Holy shit, he was such a weapon.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom