Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think he worked hard at all. Maybe at selected times the last couple of years to try to save himself, but he was a notorious partier. It's pretty bad when Urban Meyer threatens to kick you off the team for drinking too much, and he kept it up in Dallas.

Not everyone has Michael Irvin's constitution. And Irvin wasn't getting a thousand touches his first few years.

data

Forbes #1
Interesting how certain things are part of the identity. Slight change that throws off the whole. Probably Aikman is the only one that changed face masks that didn’t seem off

Without his floppy sleeves, Irvin is a bit less recognizable. He did keep his baby pacifier mouth guard till the end, though.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

Not a single second of hesitation.

That says a lot that Campo, who has a lot of admiration for Jerry Jones, makes it very clear how Jerry had nothing to do with it.

Not that most of us didn't already know that, but it's great to see an inside guy who has a relationship with both men come out and just leave no doubt as to who was responsible for that trade.

Atta boy, Dave.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol

Not a single second of hesitation.

That says a lot that Campo, who has a lot of admiration for Jerry Jones, makes it very clear how Jerry had nothing to do with it.

Not that most of us didn't already know that, but it's great to see an inside guy who has a relationship with both men come out and just leave no doubt as to who was responsible for that trade.

Atta boy, Dave.
Absolutely.

Also, we've seen over the last 34 years how Jerry's mind operates. He places a ton of value on marketability and name brand. Too much to be honest.

So I can easily see Jerry not being 100% on board with trading away the Cowboys' biggest star.

Herschel was still kind of viewed in that Bo Jackson light in the late 80s. I don't think Jerry pulls that trigger if it were up to him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Absolutely.

Also, we've seen over the last 34 years how Jerry's mind operates. He places a ton of value on marketability and name brand. Too much to be honest.

So I can easily see Jerry not being 100% on board with trading away the Cowboys' biggest star.

Herschel was still kind of viewed in that Bo Jackson light in the late 80s. I don't think Jerry pulls that trigger if it were up to him.
I recall Jerry was also openly concerned about Herschel's longterm viability at the time, though I don't know how much of that was incepted by Jimmy. Prolly all of it.

It was clear for any intelligent fan to see.

The parameters of the trade were set by the Eric Dickerson trade a couple of years earlier, so Vikings GM Mike Lynn understood the market price.

Colts --> Cornelius Bennett --> Bills
Bills --> 1988 1st, 1989 1st and 2nd, and RB Greg Bell --> Colts
Colts --> RB's Greg Bell and Owen Gill, 1988 Bills 1st + Colts 1st and 2nd, 1989 Bills 1st and 2nd and Colts' 2nd --> Rams
Rams --> RB Eric Dickerson --> Colts

So with the market set so ridiculously high as Herschel was considered to be a player in Dickerson's class, Jimmy got an avalanche of picks and players. Mike Lynn thought he got over on Johnson because he thought he'd just keep the players, but Jimmy was thinking ahead because he had the luxury of a ten year coaching contract to lean on and could think like a coach-GM.

Vikings --> 1990 1st, 2nd, and 6th, LB Jesse Solomon (conditional 1991 Vikings 1st), LB David Howard (conditional 1991 Vikings 2nd ), CB Ike Holt (conditional 1992 Vikings 1st), DE Alex Stewart (conditional 1992 Vikings 3rd), RB Darren Nelson (conditional 1992 Vikings 2nd) --> Dallas

Dallas --> RB Herschel Walker, Cowboys 1990 3rd and 10th, 1991 3rd (turned into WR Jake Reed!), Chargers 5th --> Vikings

What was ridiculous was how Lynn overvalued his own players (who were damned good in their own right, but not worth 1st and 2nd round picks)

data

Forbes #1
Interesting tidbits in this 1991 NFL Draft recap:

It started with "Oh, Canada" and it proceeded to "Oh, brother." By the end of the longest day, the rest of the National Football League was saying this: "Oh, are the Dallas Cowboys finished yet?" In a dizzying, fire-sale display of NFL draft-day dealing, the Cowboys claimed Sunday afternoon as their own. From the outset, it seemed that almost every selection had Dallas ramifications in one way or the other.
The Cowboy Shuffle, which started with University of Miami defensive tackle Russell Maryland as the first selection, was the highlight to one of the most unusual draft days in memory, a day so unusual that the Toronto Argonauts made the first selection.

Ismail had thrown a kink into the day's proceedings hours before they began. Early Sunday morning he signed a four-year contract with the Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.
That knocked the Cowboys for an initial loop or did it?
Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson said that Dallas had made the trade for the No. 1 pick for the purpose of getting Maryland, not Ismail. Had Dallas taken Ismail, he said, it would have been to trade him _ possibly to Atlanta for the No. 3 pick plus change _ and then take Maryland.

"We 100 percent traded up to get Russell Maryland," Johnson said. "We had every intention of doing what we had to do to get Russell. I was afraid we might lose him, and I heard teams were trying to move to the second spot to take him. I had a chance in 100 to lose him; I didn't want to risk it. I didn't want to be feeling sick on Sunday night. We needed to bolster our run defense, and we did."
When Ismail took the money and ran, the Cowboys decided not to risk a trade. Ismail's defection not only affected Dallas, but every team in the draft. Already, this group of players had been called the weakest in years; his departure further watered down things and shook the pecking order that ensued. As a result, the first round lasted 4 hours and 55 minutes, breaking the old record by 39 minutes.
It was the start of a day of scrambling for the Cowboys, who made several adjustments on the run. They had targeted Southern Cal tackle Pat Harlow with their No. 12 selection, but he went one selection earlier to New England. That meant Dallas instead took Tennessee's Alvin Harper, their top-rated wide receiver.
After that, the Cowboys began to move backward. They bypassed Florida linebacker Huey Richardson to move back from No. 14 to No. 17, then moved back to No. 20 and took defensive end Kelvin Pritchett. They dealt Pritchett to Detroit so they could get into the second round and take Michigan State linebacker Dixon Edwards, a player that Johnson said his team wanted all along.

By the end of the day, the Cowboys had parlayed three No. 1 draft picks into defensive tackle Maryland, wide receiver Harper, linebacker Edwards, a third-round pick, two fourths and a fifth.
"Everyone understands now why we kept trading down," Johnson said. "We had identified Dixon Edwards as a player we would like. We felt he would really fit into our scheme of defense, and we felt he would go somewhere in the second round. We kept trading and kept trading. Once we got a second-round pick, we felt Dixon should fall to there."

In all, six consecutive defensive players went before Tampa Bay _ declining a Dallas trade offer _ took Tennessee tackle Charles McRae.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I recall Jerry was also openly concerned about Herschel's longterm viability at the time, though I don't know how much of that was incepted by Jimmy. Prolly all of it.

It was clear for any intelligent fan to see.

The parameters of the trade were set by the Eric Dickerson trade a couple of years earlier, so Vikings GM Mike Lynn understood the market price.

Colts --> Cornelius Bennett --> Bills
Bills --> 1988 1st, 1989 1st and 2nd, and RB Greg Bell --> Colts
Colts --> RB's Greg Bell and Owen Gill, 1988 Bills 1st + Colts 1st and 2nd, 1989 Bills 1st and 2nd and Colts' 2nd --> Rams
Rams --> RB Eric Dickerson --> Colts

So with the market set so ridiculously high as Herschel was considered to be a player in Dickerson's class, Jimmy got an avalanche of picks and players. Mike Lynn thought he got over on Johnson because he thought he'd just keep the players, but Jimmy was thinking ahead because he had the luxury of a ten year coaching contract to lean on and could think like a coach-GM.

Vikings --> 1990 1st, 2nd, and 6th, LB Jesse Solomon (conditional 1991 Vikings 1st), LB David Howard (conditional 1991 Vikings 2nd ), CB Ike Holt (conditional 1992 Vikings 1st), DE Alex Stewart (conditional 1992 Vikings 3rd), RB Darren Nelson (conditional 1992 Vikings 2nd) --> Dallas

Dallas --> RB Herschel Walker, Cowboys 1990 3rd and 10th, 1991 3rd (turned into WR Jake Reed!), Chargers 5th --> Vikings

What was ridiculous was how Lynn overvalued his own players (who were damned good in their own right, but not worth 1st and 2nd round picks)
Ike Holt and Jesse Solomon the only players worth a shit.

data

Forbes #1
All-time non-HOF, non-ROH Dallas Cowboys team:

DT: Jethro Pugh, Jay Ratliff
DE: Harvey Martin, George Andrie
ILB: Bob Breunig
OLB: Dexter Coakley, DD Lewis
CB: Everson Walls, Cornell Green, Dennis Thurman
S: Charlie Waters, Michael Downs

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Ezekiel Elliott
FB: Daryl Johnston
WR: Tony Hill, Dez Bryant (if Cole Beasley gets in)
TE: Jay Novacek (Witten will be in)
T: Tyron Smith (Tuinei if Tyron in), Erik Williams
G: Nate Newton, John Niland (Martin will be in)
C: Mark Stepnoski

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All-time non-HOF, non-ROH Dallas Cowboys team:

DT: Jethro Pugh, Jay Ratliff
DE: Harvey Martin, George Andrie
ILB: Bob Breunig
OLB: Dexter Coakley, DD Lewis
CB: Everson Walls, Cornell Green, Dennis Thurman
S: Charlie Waters, Michael Downs

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Ezekiel Elliott
FB: Daryl Johnston
WR: Tony Hill, Dez Bryant (if Cole Beasley gets in)
TE: Jay Novacek (Witten will be in)
T: Tyron Smith (Tuinei if Tyron in), Erik Williams
G: Nate Newton, John Niland (Martin will be in)
C: Mark Stepnoski
Herschel over Elliott ten days out of ten. Better runner, just as good of a blocker, better receiver, and far better special teamer. Herschel got 1500 yards running behind one of the weakest OLs ever… I can only imagine what he’d have done with the all-timer OL Zeke fell into in 2016. I also take Fred over Stepnoski every day and especially on Sunday.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ike Holt and Jesse Solomon the only players worth a shit.
Well God we couldn’t totally rape them. Darrin Nelson was also thrown in and at that time he had value, so they flipped him when he didn’t want to play in Dallas.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well God we couldn’t totally rape them. Darrin Nelson was also thrown in and at that time he had value, so they flipped him when he didn’t want to play in Dallas.
Damned Darrin Nelson.

Top Bottom