Cowboys may sign Brian Waters

Lotuseater

Banned
I am concerned about worse.

Hanging around like Bell is doing, "getting in shape", then suddenly after the season begins our crack staff realizes that holy shit, this guy can't play and we are on the hook for a couple million (or more).
Yeah, that's always a worry. Especially with 36 yr.old guards. I don't think that will be the case with Brian Waters. He is just such a natural football player. He isn't someone I see taking the job to f off.

We don't need him to be a pro bowler. Just need him to be solid and not get blown up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, that's always a worry. Especially with 36 yr.old guards. I don't think that will be the case with Brian Waters. He is just such a natural football player. He isn't someone I see taking the job to f off.

We don't need him to be a pro bowler. Just need him to be solid and not get blown up.
I can't sit here and pretend I know Waters just wouldn't take the job just to take it. There is more evidence he wants money just as anything else.

We have two guys...one in Moore who is like the game isn't that important to me to leave my family and another guy telling the Patriots to F off for more money to play outside of Texas and laying out a year just because.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So what's the holdup?

And if that was true, then why was Moore targeted first?
I just said on the previous page, I'm guessing he doesn't want to fly to California for 3-4 practices. I'm guessing money is still a bit of a hang up too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It would be insane to pay Waters what we offered Moore.

Bad thing is, that figure is already out there and we are desperate.
I have no problem offering Waters 1.7 million. I'd probably go as high as 2.5 to be honest.

Phil fucking Costa is making 1.7 this year. We can cut him if it makes people feel better.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have no problem offering Waters 1.7 million. I'd probably go as high as 2.5 to be honest.

Phil fucking Costa is making 1.7 this year. We can cut him if it makes people feel better.
Exactly. People point to contracts like Austin's and Ratliff's. But at least those guys actually help the team when healthy. Our biggest cap problems may actually be what we pay the scrubs on this team. Costa and McCray combine for over 3 million dollars, for instance. You could get a real player for that kind of money.

The commitment this team shows to absolute garbage players is really holding the team back.

Lotuseater

Banned
I can't sit here and pretend I know Waters just wouldn't take the job just to take it. There is more evidence he wants money just as anything else.

We have two guys...one in Moore who is like the game isn't that important to me to leave my family and another guy telling the Patriots to F off for more money to play outside of Texas and laying out a year just because.
Well I can. He's a stand up dude. He wants to play for the Cowboys. It's his favorite team. No way he'd come in here and shit on the star.

Lotuseater

Banned

Right on, schmid-tay. He's about 40 times better than Costa. Or Bernadeau. Pay him, run the ball.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

At 36, Waters would have nothing to play for but pride and money since a multi-year deal would be very unlikely. If he's in the picture I need him in camp yesterday just so I can see what kind of effort I'm going to get from the guy before the season's first game. If he's dogging it, you'll see it right away.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I just don't know what he has been doing the last year. If he has been working out and staying in shape I am all for bringing him in even if it is expensive. On the other hand if he has been sitting on his ass all off season doing nothing, I would rather save our money and not waste it on a player just trying to collect a pay check. You would think you could figure this out by giving him a workout but who knows. We seem to mess that type of shit up all the time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe he is just trying to avoid TC. Let's see if he has a change of heart in a couple of weeks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe he is just trying to avoid TC. Let's see if he has a change of heart in a couple of weeks.
That's what worries me though. A man who doesn't want to go to TC probably hasn't been working his ass off all offseason to stay in shape. It's easy to stay in shape when you have practice every day and teammates around you pushing you. When you don't have anything like that, it's easy to sit on the couch and play video games all day every day.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's what worries me though. A man who doesn't want to go to TC probably hasn't been working his ass off all offseason to stay in shape. It's easy to stay in shape when you have practice every day and teammates around you pushing you. When you don't have anything like that, it's easy to sit on the couch and play video games all day every day.
Dallas seems to get more than their share of these types. Get a deal then bring out the gold brick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Gather around children and let me tell you all a little story about Brian Waters.

It goes like this: he signed with the Patriots on September 4th, 2011, went to the Pro Bowl and played great during their Super Bowl run.

Cool story, right?

You could argue that maybe because he took a year off he couldn't do that again but then again maybe because of that year off he could. The deal with the Pats was 2 years, 5.5 million so we should definitely be able to get him for no more than 1 year, 3 million which I would give him yesterday.

I'm guessing he doesn't want anything to do with training camp, especially with it being in California and there only being a handful of practices left. I'm thinking he'll be a Cowboy sometime around August 26th.

Lotuseater

Banned
He would be worth every penny, simp. Even Waters out of shape is better than anyone else We have.

I'm mean, I don't see him having a pro bowl year at 36, but I would bet a lot of money that he gives us a very solid year at RG.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gather around children and let me tell you all a little story about Brian Waters.

It goes like this: he signed with the Patriots on September 4th, 2011, went to the Pro Bowl and played great during their Super Bowl run.

Cool story, right?

You could argue that maybe because he took a year off he couldn't do that again but then again maybe because of that year off he could. The deal with the Pats was 2 years, 5.5 million so we should definitely be able to get him for no more than 1 year, 3 million which I would give him yesterday.

I'm guessing he doesn't want anything to do with training camp, especially with it being in California and there only being a handful of practices left. I'm thinking he'll be a Cowboy sometime around August 26th.
With a line of Smith, Leary, Frederick, Waters, and Free I think we could actually be pretty good upfront. Especially if Free is really improved from last year as has been reported. Even if he isn't, we can deal with one weak link on an O-line.

gator

Brand New Member
With a line of Smith, Leary, Frederick, Waters, and Free I think we could actually be pretty good upfront. Especially if Free is really improved from last year as has been reported. Even if he isn't, we can deal with one weak link on an O-line.
I agree. When they're all healthy it'll be no worse than league average. I'd rather we build the line to be a strength, but it's encouraging we're willing to shit all over Livings' and Bernie's paths to starting jobs.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He would be worth every penny, simp. Even Waters out of shape is better than anyone else We have.

I'm mean, I don't see him having a pro bowl year at 36, but I would bet a lot of money that he gives us a very solid year at RG.

I agree, plus we have some depth with Livings and Bernardo to help us should someone go down.

I want Parnell to shove Free aside as well. Free seems to perform better under duress of competition. And we're better for it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Backhanded Doug Free props:

On if George Selvie will have a breakout season:

“He got his ass kicked by Doug Free yesterday pretty good. I think the thing with George Selvie is he played on the left defensive end yesterday, and it didn’t look like it went very well for him. When he was getting all his rushes, he was playing the right defensive end, the open side defensive end. Doug Free went after him pretty good yesterday. Only when George Selvie moved inside, they ran a double eagle or a bear front where they cover both guards and the center, and it was only then that one time that George Selvie got some pressure on the guard. But I thought overall, Doug Free did a nice job of playing run and pass against him. To me, George Selvie is one of those guys who shows up in practice. Again, he was playing the opposite side that he normally plays. I would say let’s get through these four games. If he is a guy that can be a rotational player, that can help them in that regard and he can make the 53-man roster then the pro guys did their job here.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Nate Newton: If Brian Waters can't come in and start, the Cowboys shouldn't waste their time

Former Cowboys offensive lineman Nate Newton joined Fitzsimmons and Durrett KESN-FM to talk about the team. Here are some highlights.

On if the Cowboys should bring in Brian Waters:

“I wonder if he’s going to start. If he’s going to walk in here and start and play on a percentage as far as how well he does, how many plays, how many games he starts, yes, I would bring him in here. But if I’ve got to give him a big fat 1-year contract and he falls off on me, I don’t even want to take that chance. I just don’t. This team has been doing that for the last two or three years, bringing in a veteran guy who falls off the map, who comes out off shape, they’re not ready. He worked out fine but when he gets here, he’s not in football shape. You sunk a lot of money into this guy, and you can’t get nobody else in here. If he’s in shape, ready to go and ready to start from Day 1, I’m for that. If not, don’t waste your time, man. You’ve been down this road a number of times. You can’t keep bringing in young guys, and we’re going to develop them, and it never happens. Every time you bring in a veteran guy, these young guys don’t get to play and don’t get a chance to develop. They just sit there stale, and your team don’t get any better. You just churn the some ole’ mud.”

On if the Cowboys can still be successful without a solid line:

“Any program that is worth its salt has an offensive line that is at least above average. That means you’ve got two and a half good players. Until you get two and a half players with some youth, I’m talking about 26, 27, 28, 29 years old that played together for more than two years, you will not have success. No success means your going to be winning nine or less games. That’s how it’s going to be.”

Top Bottom