Cowboys may sign Brian Waters

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Moore retires, so Cowboys pursue OL Waters

MIKE FISHER |

Published: Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 3:01pm

OXNARD, Calif. — Six-time Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters is "back on our radar,'' a Dallas Cowboys source tells FOXSportsSouthwest.com in the wake of veteran free-agent guard Brandon Moore's last-minute change of heart regarding joining the team.

On Tuesday night following a training camp practice in Oxnard, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, "Stay tuned. We're trying to do something there. We're trying to improve in the offensive line. …We'll have something on this here real quick.''

Shortly thereafter, Dallas had a verbal agreement with Moore on a one-year deal that could reportedly earn him $2 million.

But early Wednesday morning, Moore (who once played under Dallas assistant Bill Callahan and has a good relationship with him) contacted the Cowboys and declined the deal, opting at 33 to retire and spent time with his family, which includes two young children.

A Cowboys source told FOXSportsSouthwest.com even at the time of the tabbing of Moore than he and Waters were a "wash, talent-wise.'' And Dallas is now turning quickly to discussions with Waters, a six-time Pro Bowler who at 36 has been out of football for a year.

Waters, a native of Waxahachie, would in theory bolster an offensive line that has struggled at the guard spots. Ron Leary seems on the verge of winning one job there. But incumbents Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau have injury woes. If Dallas doesn't sign Waters, Bernadeau will likely remain at right guard. And even if Waters does come to camp, it's unknown how long it will take him to return to playing shape.

"We might have a good opportunity here and we should take,'' Jones said on Tuesday. "It's about that as well, getting a good opportunity.''
That opportunity was Moore's. Now it might be Waters'.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not really worried about Waters getting into shape, he has a month until the season opener and would have 3 preseason games to round into some sort of form. It's not like he's a WR or something, he just has to sit in his little confined area and push.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not really worried about Waters getting into shape, he has a month until the season opener and would have 3 preseason games to round into some sort of form. It's not like he's a WR or something, he just has to sit in his little confined area and push.
I woulda felt better about Moore. The reviews of his 2012 performance were still very good, he hadn't been out of football in as long, and he made the Pro Bowl as recently as 2011.

Waters is older and more of a long shot. I'd still do it, for sure, but when we got Moore I actually started feeling good about the OL. This move would be wait and see.

Carl

RIP Brother
I woulda felt better about Moore. The reviews of his 2012 performance were still very good, he hadn't been out of football in as long, and he made the Pro Bowl as recently as 2011.

Waters is older and more of a long shot. I'd still do it, for sure, but when we got Moore I actually started feeling good about the OL. This move would be wait and see.
If they go after Waters, it might not be until after week one of regular season. Aren't veteran contracts signed prior to week one guaranteed for the whole season? Or did I just make that up.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If they go after Waters, it might not be until after week one of regular season. Aren't veteran contracts signed prior to week one guaranteed for the whole season? Or did I just make that up.
That's correct. Their full base salary becomes guaranteed.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If they are on the roster for the first week, a vested veteran's salary can become guaranteed for the year. That's why you see a lot of old guys signed before week two. Can, because they are only allowed to invoke the rule once in their career, to make their salary guaranteed.

As an aside, David Arkin will become a vested veteran next year. And he still hasn't played a down in the NFL. :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not like he's a WR or something, he just has to sit in his little confined area and push.
Not with what we want to do. That was part of the charm of Moore, he could block on the move so well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, that's true, but it's stupid.

He needs to be in here gelling with his teammates if he's going to be counted on as a starter.

If he's only supposed to be veteran insurance, then the idea to bring him in later makes sense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, that's true, but it's stupid.

He needs to be in here gelling with his teammates if he's going to be counted on as a starter.

If he's only supposed to be veteran insurance, then the idea to bring him in later makes sense.
Agreed. His missing the remainder of the offseason for fear of having to guarantee his salary would be seriously short-sighted.

Waters last played for the Patriots and they used a combination zone and man-blocking scheme, so I think he'd fit in fine with whatever Callahan wants. But Waters needs as much time as possible to get back into hitting shape. Missing out on a critical month of workouts and learning for money they'd almost certainly have to pay out anyways would be stupid.

Lotuseater

Banned

I don't think its a "wait and see" at all. Brian waters will NEVER get blown into the backfield. This is undeniable about him.

I say that's just fine with me, run and pass, after watching the guards we've had get thrown all over the field last few years.

This would be a huge upgrade at RG and I believe having a player that strong next to him will also help Free a bit.

Lotuseater

Banned
It was undeniable before he took a year off.
Doesn't matter really. Whatever he's got left is light years better than we've had for several years there, so I feel better if they get him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Doesn't matter really. Whatever he's got left is light years better than we've had for several years there, so I feel better if they get him.
Probably true. But with Moore it was almost certainly true unless he fell off dramatically from age 32 to age 33.

There's more uncertainty with Waters, is all. I still support getting him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Probably true. But with Moore it was almost certainly true unless he fell off dramatically from age 32 to age 33.

There's more uncertainty with Waters, is all. I still support getting him.
I would hope, not believe but hope, that Waters year off left him with fresher legs than he's had in a while and he'll be able to perform up to his 2011 skill level because of the rest. As long as he's kept his cardio up to a reasonable level.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It sucks that it took injuries to Bernadeau and Livings to force a move at guard, instead of actually going by the strength ~snicker~ of their game tapes from last season.

Top Bottom