Cowboys may sign Brian Waters

Smitty

DCC 4Life
“Any program that is worth its salt has an offensive line that is at least above average. That means you’ve got two and a half good players. Until you get two and a half players with some youth, I’m talking about 26, 27, 28, 29 years old that played together for more than two years, you will not have success. No success means your going to be winning nine or less games. That’s how it’s going to be.”
Well Frederick and Smith make two.

We need one more cornerstone young piece. First round next year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
First round next year.
That's a poor way to build. If you can only find passable OL in the 1st round you are going to have the entire position blown up in just a few years when contracts are due. Besides, the team needs that first rounder to be its marquee pass rusher and/or anchoring DL of the future.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leary could be that third young player. I like what I have seen from him so far.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's a poor way to build. If you can only find passable OL in the 1st round you are going to have the entire position blown up in just a few years when contracts are due. Besides, the team needs that first rounder to be its marquee pass rusher and/or anchoring DL of the future.
That would also be acceptable.

What isn't is taking another DB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sounds like the Cowboys have made an offer.

Cotton

Staff member
Based on what?
Brian Waters has contract offer from Dallas Cowboys

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Aug. 12, 2013 at 09:00 a.m. Updated: Aug. 12, 2013 at 09:20 a.m.

Guard Brian Waters should one day be considered for enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But he may not be ready to start his post-retirement clock just yet.

According to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, the Dallas Cowboys have made a contract offer to Waters. And NFL.com's Ian Rapoport passes along word that Waters has had a contract offer from the Cowboys since August 7.

Waters is trying to decide whether the Cowboys offer is enough to make him decide to get off his couch. Waters, who was last with the New England Patriots, sat out the 2012 season.

With nearly a month still left until the regular season, Waters may not be in a hurry to sign anytime soon. The Cowboys, who wanted to sign Brandon Moore before he decided to retire, know that there's one way to change Waters' mind. It sounds like the right offer will get him back on the field.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Even if he wants to play I figured that he'd sit on the offer until at least camp is over. It'd look bad if he signed the contract now and was just like, ehhh, I'll see you guys in a week.

There's no way he wants to fly to California for 4 practices so I'm thinking he's waiting until at least the team returns to Dallas to sign it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
One result or indication of the Waters love.....

Gosselin: The Cowboys clearly have no confidence in David Arkin

Why don't the Cowboys just play David Arkin. isn't the zone scheme about quickness and movement and not power? Tired of O-line retreads. Let the young guy play and develop. What do you think?

You're preaching to the choir on this one. Arkin has been on the roster for two seasons and has yet to play in a game. He was a fourth round pick -- and that certainly isn't a throwaway round. But instead the Cowboys are calling around trying to talk veteran guards out of retirement. They clearly have no confidence in Arkin. But he has never played so we'll never know.

Is the search for an aged guard indication of some serious writing on the wall for Arkin? Is this his last year as a Cowboy?

Yes and, very likely, yes. Why use a fourth-round draft pick on a player if aren't willing to put him on the field and find out about him? Why keep him for two years if you don't think he can play? Lots of whys surrounding David Arkin. But no answers from the Cowboys.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Arkin sucks and this was evident a long time ago.

As for Waters, I really hope he signs.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Brian Waters has contract offer from Dallas Cowboys

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Aug. 12, 2013 at 09:00 a.m. Updated: Aug. 12, 2013 at 09:20 a.m.

Guard Brian Waters should one day be considered for enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But he may not be ready to start his post-retirement clock just yet.

According to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, the Dallas Cowboys have made a contract offer to Waters. And NFL.com's Ian Rapoport passes along word that Waters has had a contract offer from the Cowboys since August 7.

Waters is trying to decide whether the Cowboys offer is enough to make him decide to get off his couch. Waters, who was last with the New England Patriots, sat out the 2012 season.

With nearly a month still left until the regular season, Waters may not be in a hurry to sign anytime soon. The Cowboys, who wanted to sign Brandon Moore before he decided to retire, know that there's one way to change Waters' mind. It sounds like the right offer will get him back on the field.
Any ideas as to the money involved? He's taking his time mulling it over, or is just waiting for camp to end maybe?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The final countdown to sign Waters!!!!

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Has anyone given consideration that another NFCE team paid off Waters to not sign with the team until late in the preseason?

Cotton

Staff member
Any ideas as to the money involved? He's taking his time mulling it over, or is just waiting for camp to end maybe?
From what I have read it is for a low amount with heavy incentives.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Has anyone given consideration that another NFCE team paid off Waters to not sign with the team until late in the preseason?
I was thinking that already, but didn't wanna say anything because I didn't think anyone else would believe it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One result or indication of the Waters love.....

Gosselin: The Cowboys clearly have no confidence in David Arkin

Why don't the Cowboys just play David Arkin. isn't the zone scheme about quickness and movement and not power? Tired of O-line retreads. Let the young guy play and develop. What do you think?

You're preaching to the choir on this one. Arkin has been on the roster for two seasons and has yet to play in a game. He was a fourth round pick -- and that certainly isn't a throwaway round. But instead the Cowboys are calling around trying to talk veteran guards out of retirement. They clearly have no confidence in Arkin. But he has never played so we'll never know.

Is the search for an aged guard indication of some serious writing on the wall for Arkin? Is this his last year as a Cowboy?

Yes and, very likely, yes. Why use a fourth-round draft pick on a player if aren't willing to put him on the field and find out about him? Why keep him for two years if you don't think he can play? Lots of whys surrounding David Arkin. But no answers from the Cowboys.

I hate this mentality. You should almost never play a guy just to find out about him. The first step in finding out about a guy is practice. If he's not showing up in practice it's retarded to count on him for a real game in any sort of way. And it shouldn't matter where he was drafted. It's stupid to just keep compounding your original mistake. Most of the time you can tell from practice.

Top Bottom