Cowboys Free Agency Thread

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
How many posts do you commit to during Thursday Night football games?

Boozeman has been really shitting the bed in this regard.
Yep, him hitting the scotch early and passing out before halftime was a real problem this season

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something about a rumor of Rivers to the Cowboys??
If he wants to be a backup and mentor I'm in. I loved him coming out in the draft. But he will either start somewhere or retire. He doesn't have it in him to backup.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Here's our predictions for the Dallas Cowboys free agents

lostxn

DCC 4Life
and it came to pass that Jason Garrett was summarily dismissed from the Cowboys organization. At such great news, there was much joy and elation spread throughout the land. People dancing in the streets, dogs and cats living in harmony.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys need to beef up the interior of their defensive line. Here are some options.

By John Owning

Even though most of the attention surrounding NFL free agency surrounds the top available players receiving market-setting contracts, the best value often comes from the under-the-radar free agents who can help round out a roster.

In recent history, the Dallas Cowboys have opted to dip their toes in the latter rather than the former. This was especially evident last year, as the Cowboys signed Christian Covington, Kerry Hyder, Randall Cobb and George Iloka (who was cut before the regular season) within the first 10 days of free agency.

While a new coaching staff could usher in a more aggressive plan toward some of the top high-priced free agents, there’s no doubt that Dallas will still use free agency to fill holes, improve the depth and overall talent of the roster. And with 25 players scheduled to become unrestricted free agents, the Cowboys should have plenty of holes to fill when free agency begins.

With that in mind, let’s dive into a few under-the-radar free agents who the Cowboys should target when free agency begins on March 18:

Danny Shelton, NT

Vice president of player personnel Will McClay intimated that the Cowboys may be looking for more size inside this year because of the new coaching staff. Luckily for the Cowboys, this is one of the best years to add some beef to the interior defensive line, as the draft and free agency is chock-full with potential upgrades over Dallas’ current crop of defensive tackles.

If more size is the name of the game, then Danny Shelton is an affordable option at the nose tackle (1-technique defensive tackle) position. Shelton signed a one-year deal worth a little bit more than $1 million last offseason to join the Patriots, so it shouldn’t cost much more to steal him away to Dallas during free agency this year.

Listed at 6-foot-2 and 345 pounds, Shelton is more an immovable object than unstoppable force, though he does have some athletic ability to make plays outside his gap. Most importantly, Shelton is as strong as an ox at the point-of-attack.

One problem the Cowboys had last year was that their nose tackles didn’t demand double teams. The effectiveness of Dallas’ 4-3 under defense is partially predicated on the nose tackle demanding a double team as a means of keeping the LBs clean to pursue the ball carrier without being immediately faced with a blocker. If an offense is comfortable single blocking the nose tackle, it enables them to get an OL to the second level extremely quickly.

Shelton is the type of nose tackle who not only demands a double team, as 345 pounds is simply too hard to move with just one OL, but has the capability of splitting double teams as well.

As a pass-rusher, Shelton is mostly just a pocket pusher who can help take away the space a QB needs to step up in the pocket. Moreover, Shelton lacks the lateral quickness to be very effective on stunts.

Shelton’s skill set is best utilized as a two-down run plugger who takes a breather in passing down-and-distances. It would be nice to find a nose tackle who could contribute more as a pass rusher (cough Javon Hargrave and DJ Reader cough), but that kind of skill set costs a pretty penny, much more than it would take to sign run-plugger and pocket pusher such as Shelton.

Gerald McCoy, DT

In case you’ve been living under a rock, the Cowboys need help at defensive tackle, and even if they sign a big-bodied run plugger at the nose tackle position (like Danny Shelton above), they will still need to find a starting-caliber under tackle (three-technique defensive tackle), especially with the current starting under tackle, Maliek Collins, scheduled to become a free agent.

One of the better options is Gerald McCoy — who, after spending his entire career with the Buccaneers, took his talents to the Panthers, where he received a one-year, $8 million deal in 2019.

If McCoy is willing to sign a similar deal in free agency this year, he could be this year’s aging veteran to target at a position of need, much like Robert Quinn in 2019 (though Quinn was acquired through trade).

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, McCoy isn’t the same game-wrecking defensive tackle he was in his prime, but he still has more than enough juice to be effective. In 2019, McCoy still finished with 42 total pressures — 14th-most among defensive tackles, per PFF.

His first step and upfield burst have taken a step back with age, but McCoy still possesses fine-tuned hands that enable him to be disruptive in the backfield, both against the run and pass. McCoy has also developed more power to help as his athleticism deteriorates, which has helped him remain effective against the run.

Ultimately, McCoy would be a great and relatively cheap short-term fix at the under tackle position in Dallas’ defense. Moreover, who better to mentor a young, athletic defensive tackle like Trysten Hill than the man who was the best athletic defensive tackle (excluding Aaron Donald) of his era?

Jayron Kearse, S

Interestingly enough, the Cowboys interviewed former Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards for an undisclosed coaching position on defense. If hired (or even if not), the Cowboys could opt to target one of Jayron Kearse, who was drafted by the Vikings while Edwards was defensive coordinator in 2016.

The Vikings had an embarrassment of riches at safety in 2019, as starters Anthony Harris (tied for league lead in interceptions) and Harrison Smith were among the best at their position while their backup, Kearse, provided impactful snaps as a safety and big nickel defender.

Standing at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, Kearse is a giant safety who does his best work in and around the box. Kearse’s size makes him a mismatch whenever blocked by a wide receiver, which enables Kearse to be extremely effective in run support. He’s a reliable tackler (just four career missed tackles, per PFF) and possesses the quickness to knife into the backfield to make splash plays behind the line of scrimmage.

While it would be unwise to trust him in coverage against small, nimble slot receivers, Kearse has proven capable in subduing the “big slot” receiver that’s become en vogue in the NFL recently. Kearse is physical through the contact window, bordering on too physical while using his length to affect the ball at the catch point.

Kearse’s impressive size-speed ratio and coverage ability also make him a good option to shadow opposing No. 1 tight ends if need be, a role the Cowboys have used Byron Jones in previously. While Kearse isn’t nearly the same caliber of athlete as Jones, his size and strength prevent him from getting bullied at the catch point, one of the few areas where Jones has struggled when asked to cover tight ends.

Much like Shaq Barrett last year, Kearse is the year’s best low-risk, high-reward option in free agency. Both players came into the NFL with little acclaim, as Barrett was an undrafted free agent while Kearse fell to the seventh round, were stuck behind elite players at their position on the depth chart (Barrett was stuck behind Von Miller and rookie first-round pick Bradley Chubb in his last season in Denver), but were also productive and effective in the snaps they do receive.

While it would be wrong to expect Kearse to be named an All-Pro while producing the equivalent of leading the NFL in sacks as Barrett did, it wouldn’t be too much to believe he could provide a great complement to Xavier Woods and an upgrade over Jeff Heath without dipping into the high-priced free-agent waters.

Low risk with a potentially high reward, the Cowboys would be wise target Kearse in free agency.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I thought Shelton was a bust. Not sure what the issues have been but I think I'd rather just draft a guy than pay anything to shelton.

Also not sure why we need another box safety.

I'd be open to McCoy under the right circumstances. I might prefer Collins though if the money is the same.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys Free Agent Targets || Tyrone Crawford Return? || DT Draft Rankings || 2019 Draft a Bust?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A name who intrigues me is Vernon Butler. Former first round pick who I really liked at the time. Finally started 10 games this year and produced 6 sacks with limited playing time. He is a legit 6'4" 325 pound type big man who can get to the QB too. Takes these guys a few years in the NFL sometimes and I think he is ready to break out with the right chance.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
At 1T draft a guy and get Shelton too.

At 3T, McCoy would need to be part of a rotation at this point in his career, and that’s not worth paying top dollar for. If they legit think Hill could be part of it then sure, go for it. But realistically they need to start over and treat anything from Hill as a bonus.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At 1T draft a guy and get Shelton too.

At 3T, McCoy would need to be part of a rotation at this point in his career, and that’s not worth paying top dollar for. If they legit think Hill could be part of it then sure, go for it. But realistically they need to start over and treat anything from Hill as a bonus.
I'm cool with drafting a 1 tech and signing one. Shelton doesn't do much for me but he is better than what we usually sign so I guess that's something.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
A name who intrigues me is Vernon Butler. Former first round pick who I really liked at the time. Finally started 10 games this year and produced 6 sacks with limited playing time. He is a legit 6'4" 325 pound type big man who can get to the QB too. Takes these guys a few years in the NFL sometimes and I think he is ready to break out with the right chance.
I think Butler would be a good addition. Michael Pierce and Reader are available as well. I know these two would be expensive, but they're young and at the top of their game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Butler would be a good addition. Michael Pierce and Reader are available as well. I know these two would be expensive, but they're young and at the top of their game.
I just remember really loving Butler in the draft. I thought he would go second round and he ended up going in the first. This was the first year where he really played well in the NFL but it's his fourth year so on the plus side of it he is still really young. I feel a lot better about investing in a 25 year old who still seems to be getting better. And maybe he won't be that expensive since he hasn't really been a full time starter up to this point.

I just think he could be cheaper than the other guys and provide more upside as a pass rusher.

Top Bottom