Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would re-sign Quinn. The man beasted this last year. Now, everyone else on the DL... see ya.
Yeah I like Quinn although I wouldn't want to pay big money for him because he isn't really a long term solution. I also don't think he is as consistently impactful as I would like. But 10 sack guys are hard to find and if we got any consistent push from the middle I think Quinn is more than enough at RE.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm open to pretty much anything on the DL, the new staff has a blank slate to build it how they see fit. The only guy who is locked in is Lawrence, the rest are either FA's or on very cheap rookie deals.

If the new staff wants to keep Collins and Quinn, so be it, it's not what I prefer but I wouldn't lose my mind over it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm open to pretty much anything on the DL, the new staff has a blank slate to build it how they see fit. The only guy who is locked in is Lawrence, the rest are either FA's or on very cheap rookie deals.

If the new staff wants to keep Collins and Quinn, so be it, it's not what I prefer but I wouldn't lose my mind over it.
Nice thing is we won't bring those guys back simply because we are comfortable with them. The new coach staff won't view these guys any differently than they will the rest of the free agents in the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A'Shawn Robinson, Reader, Michael Pierce. I say any two of these guys and that's a hell of an instant upgrade.
Drafting Kinlaw, or Robinson from Bama, would have us set at DT for once.
Robinson has some character risks. Pierce is a fat ass who needs his weight monitored like he was some obese kid. Reader, yes please.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We’re all gonna so happy when we finally get a big MF spacehog DT or 2

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robinson has some character risks. Pierce is a fat ass who needs his weight monitored like he was some obese kid. Reader, yes please.
Give me Vernon Butler and Jordan Phillips. Thank you very much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feh to both. If those are the choices, I draft a guy.
Well then I'd call you crazy. Jordan Phillips is a 320 pound, 6'6" DT who had 9.5 sacks last year on one of the best defenses in the NFL. He is 27 years old.

Vernon Butler is a 6'4" 330 pound dude who register 6 sacks last year as a part time player. 25 years old and a former first round pick.

Give me two giant men at the peak of their careers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well then I'd call you crazy. Jordan Phillips is a 320 pound, 6'6" DT who had 9.5 sacks last year on one of the best defenses in the NFL. He is 27 years old.

Vernon Butler is a 6'4" 330 pound dude who register 6 sacks last year as a part time player. 25 years old and a former first round pick.

Give me two giant men at the peak of their careers.
They are both career underachievers that suddenly got better (drastically) in their contract years.

In other words, they fit the poster child profile of what a free agent bust looks like.

Have fun.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are both career underachievers that suddenly got better in their contract years.

Have fun.
You're right give me the 2 sack turds instead. Who wants big boys who can rush the passer and clog lanes with their length.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You're right give me the 2 sack turds instead. Who wants big boys who can rush the passer and clog lanes with their length.
I am just warning you. You are looking a lot at recent production and getting excited.

A lot of these players are malingerers with injuries. They step it up when the shit hits the fan.

I am not at all disagreeing with you about wanting an upgrade.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I live in Houston, most Texans fans I talk to are livid that they gave Merciless the money that should have gone to Reader.

Even if we were to pick up Reader, I still want Kinlaw. But Reader is my top choice at DT in terms of FA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in Houston, most Texans fans I talk to are livid that they gave Merciless the money that should have gone to Reader.

Even if we were to pick up Reader, I still want Kinlaw. But Reader is my top choice at DT in terms of FA.
Yeah Reader is a pure NT type. You'll need a real pass rusher next to him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am just warning you. You are looking a lot at recent production and getting excited.

A lot of these players are malingerers with injuries. They step it up when the shit hits the fan.

Yeah I get it there is some risk. Ideally you can get them on short term deals that keep them motivated. I'd probably sign one of those two but not both. Pair that guy with a pure NT and still feel free to draft a DT.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life

Im still smarting over DLaw.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea but we want a fat ass at DT. Pierce is strictly a 2 down player but he's damn good at stuffing the run and we may be able to get him at a bit of a discount just because he doesn't offer much pass rush.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So with reports I'm now seeing that Dak turned down $33 mil and wants more, I want to be done with him. I don't want to let a mid range QB hold us hostage for top tier money and take up nearly 20% of the cap. That's insane. I'd rather they tag him and trade him if possible and either sign a workable FA or draft someone. Seriously

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So with reports I'm now seeing that Dak turned down $33 mil and wants more, I want to be done with him. I don't want to let a mid range QB hold us hostage for top tier money and take up nearly 20% of the cap. That's insane. I'd rather they tag him and trade him if possible and either sign a workable FA or draft someone. Seriously
1. He’s not a middle of the road QB

2. He is going to get a top 5-10 QB contact here or somewhere else.

3. You pay to the level of the market, not the level you view the player. That’s just the way the NFL business works.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

3. You pay to the level of the market, not the level you view the player. That’s just the way the NFL business works.
But what sense does it make to forfeit about $30 million for a season and play on a rookie contract pay? How much more does he think he can get to overcome that king of forfeiture.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

But all the QBs making that much money have won Super Bowls. That is what bothers me. The other thing that bothers me is this FO being able to assemble a team after paying Dak that much when he requires 'steak' at every position in order to be good. Maybe this staff will be what he needs to take the next step but if it's not, I'd sure hate to be tethered to a cap-crippling deal.

Top Bottom