Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
BOTTOM LINE
In this day and age of "tweeners" being labeled "hybrid" players, Smith is the rare commodity who is truly hybrid in the sense that he has the athleticism, speed and physical makeup to play any linebacker spot in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. Smith was productive but slightly miscast in the middle of the Notre Dame defense and is better suited to play in space as a 4-3 outside linebacker. However, his length and upfield burst could draw the attention of a 3-4 team looking to transition him into a rush linebacker while utilizing his rare cover skills. News regarding Smith's injury and potential issues surrounding recovery have created doubt regarding his draft stock and his final landing spot will be determined by a team's medicals. Without the injury issues, he's one of the top player's in this draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jaylon Smith is listed at 245. So really 250 isn't that unrealistic.

James Harrison was 240 pounds and a great 3-4 OLBer. Kevin Greene played it in the 240s as well. You're not asking these guy to hold up OTs, you're asking them to fly past them in most situations. And you'd be free to not rush both OLBers on every play because Jaylon isn't a liability in coverage.

Shoot even guys like Clay Matthews is more of a LBer than a DE. I know he is over that 250 pound threshold but not by much. Anyway, I don't think it's as crazy one might think.
Kevin Greene played 30+ years ago and I'm pretty sure Clay Matthews played quite a bit on the edge/as an edge-rusher at USC. Either way, throwing out a few anomalies in the last 20+ years in comparison to the overall group of 3-4 OLB types isn't especially convincing, especially when you consider that Smith has always been an off-ball LB, has never really asked to be a pure edge rusher, and as far as a guy like James Harrison goes, lacks the bulk that he did to hold his own against the run.

I'm not saying a guy has to be a DE or that it's just about weight, it's about being an edge rusher and having those traits (bend, hand usage, strength at the POA, pass rush technique) and Smith has almost none of that. Maybe you could argue some of that can be taught but often times it takes edge rushers a few years to really refine and perfect their technique and pass rush plan. Asking Smith to do that at this point would just be stubbornly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

It would be much more efficient to actually bring in someone who more fits that prototype and use Smith as n off-ball LB and a complementary blitzer in support of Lawrence and the newly acquired edge rusher.

With all that said, I think we could be fine if we just add an interior pass-rusher and run-stuffing NT with Lawrence as our only true edge threat, assuming we don't go to a full-fledged 3-4 and just toggle between the fronts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With all that said, I think we could be fine if we just add an interior pass-rusher and run-stuffing NT with Lawrence as our only true edge threat, assuming we don't go to a full-fledged 3-4 and just toggle between the fronts.
Ultimately we will run a nickle most of the time I'm sure anyway. Just kicking around some ideas. Jaylon may not be the ideal outside guy in a 3-4 but I think he would be better at it then some are giving credit.

Your nickle defense is probably a 4-2 front or a 3-3 if you want to get crazy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ultimately we will run a nickle most of the time I'm sure anyway. Just kicking around some ideas. Jaylon may not be the ideal outside guy in a 3-4 but I think he would be better at it then some are giving credit.

Your nickle defense is probably a 4-2 front or a 3-3 if you want to get crazy.
True, and what do you envision Jaylon being in those instances?

To me I don't want to see him with his hand down on the edge, ideally I'd like to see him as a LB in a 3-3 where he's moved around and blitzed from different angles.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Jaylon Smith is not a 3-4 OLB, he's not a real pass-rusher. He's a good blitzer from the LB position but he has no real pass rush technique or ability to bend around the corner, and against the run he has no shot at holding the POA vs. 320 lb. OT's.

I don't think 3-4 vs. 4-3 is going to matter too much, I'd imagine we're going to employ concepts from both and vary our alignments. The Saints did plenty of that this year and even had 275 lb. Cam Jordan standing up a decent amount.

It's more about what type of personnel the staff wants as opposed to simply 3-4 vs. 4-3, and it's possible they don't feel comfortable with Quinn standing up, Collins holding up vs. the run, etc.
Smith is too stiff to play in a 3-4 edge alignment.
Hell I'm starting to have doubts he will be more than just good in a 4-3. Granted, it’s a miracle the guy is on the field and he’s a good LB, but on a defense that lacks true playmakers we don’t need “good” we need more “really good” at some positions and LB is one them.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smith is too stiff to play in a 3-4 edge alignment.
Hell I'm starting to have doubts he will be more than just good in a 4-3. Granted, it’s a miracle the guy is on the field and he’s a good LB, but on a defense that lacks true playmakers we don’t need “good” we need more “really good” at some positions and LB is one them.
Agreed, it's his change of direction that's lacking that makes you think he's stiff, and I think a big part of that is due to the injury. He would never be able to consistently dip and bend around the edge if he was asked to give you pure edge rush with how stiff/straight-line he is.

With that said, there is definitely a place for him given his physicality and straight-line speed/explosiveness. The guy didn't just go from a legitimate Pro Bowl player in 2018 to what we saw this year. Put him behind a run-stuffing NT and playing under a coaching staff that demands accountability and focus and I think you'll see him back to his 2018 play in 2020.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, and what do you envision Jaylon being in those instances?

To me I don't want to see him with his hand down on the edge, ideally I'd like to see him as a LB in a 3-3 where he's moved around and blitzed from different angles.
I'd never have him put his hand down. So yeah, OLB regardless.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With that said, there is definitely a place for him given his physicality and straight-line speed/explosiveness. The guy didn't just go from a legitimate Pro Bowl player in 2018 to what we saw this year. Put him behind a run-stuffing NT and playing under a coaching staff that demands accountability and focus and I think you'll see him back to his 2018 play in 2020.
It's crazy because both Jaylon and LVE looked much worse this year. I'm not sure if the guys put on too much weight or what but both guys angles and change of direction just weren't the same this year. I have to think they are both capable of returning to form. I don't think his knee is the problem otherwise it would have been a problem in 2018 and it wasn't.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jaylon Smith is listed at 245. So really 250 isn't that unrealistic.

James Harrison was 240 pounds and a great 3-4 OLBer. Kevin Greene played it in the 240s as well. You're not asking these guy to hold up OTs, you're asking them to fly past them in most situations. And you'd be free to not rush both OLBers on every play because Jaylon isn't a liability in coverage.

Shoot even guys like Clay Matthews is more of a LBer than a DE. I know he is over that 250 pound threshold but not by much. Anyway, I don't think it's as crazy one might think.
I don't think the weight is the problem for Jaylon. The problem is he's just not an edge rusher.

He can blitz as a linebacker and be effective, but there's a difference between that and being an edge rusher.

Maybe he has that in his toolbelt, but he hasn't really shown it in the pros.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The other thing is as great a guy as he is, I just don't see Jaylon as having the mean or want to for a 3-4 OLB. I could be wrong, but what I've seen of him since he's been healthy just doesn't fit it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Both LBs will look miraculously better with a dominant nose tackle in front of them
Wait..I thought you said MM was a Jerry puppet?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
With regards to Kellen Moore, probably

What does that have to do with getting a NT
So, he's a puppet but not when it comes to something you approve of....got it

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom