Cowboys Free Agency Thread

p1_

DCC 4Life
But what sense does it make to forfeit about $30 million for a season and play on a rookie contract pay? How much more does he think he can get to overcome that king of forfeiture.
Don’t forget how his numerous endorsements might effect his patience

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But all the QBs making that much money have won Super Bowls. That is what bothers me. The other thing that bothers me is this FO being able to assemble a team after paying Dak that much when he requires 'steak' at every position in order to be good. Maybe this staff will be what he needs to take the next step but if it's not, I'd sure hate to be tethered to a cap-crippling deal.
The QB market will continue to be disproportionate due to the nature of the position and the scarcity of new blood coming in and the coaching assigned to develop them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But all the QBs making that much money have won Super Bowls. That is what bothers me. The other thing that bothers me is this FO being able to assemble a team after paying Dak that much when he requires 'steak' at every position in order to be good. Maybe this staff will be what he needs to take the next step but if it's not, I'd sure hate to be tethered to a cap-crippling deal.
Of the top 10 paid QBs in the league, let's check out how many have won SBs...

• 1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million (Yep)
  • 2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million (Yep)
  • 3.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million (Yep)
  • 3. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million (Nope)
  • 5. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million (Nope)
  • 6. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million (Nope)
  • 7. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million (Nope)
  • 8. Colts QB Jacoby Brissett: $27.98 million (Nope)
  • 9. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million (Nope)
  • 10. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million (Nope)
Your point doesn't hold. Dak deserves what at least half of the guys on that list are making, and it's dumb to even insinuate otherwise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Witten might be the most rotten steak I have ever eaten. Frankly this massively talented Oline hasn't been playing like it either. I don't buy that he needs steak at every position. He also turned a third round pick WR into a 1100 yard receiver and a scrap heap Cobb into a stud slot guy again.

Basically Dal needs a #1 reciever but I'm not convinced he needs a ton more anymore. Hell even Tom Brady needs weapons.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life

Your point doesn't hold. Dak deserves what at least half of the guys on that list are making, and it's dumb to even insinuate otherwise.
I understand the QB salary situation is inflating by the year. But Dak wants more than any of these guys. He will be demanding more than Big Ben, who has two rings. Nobody works harder and has a better attitude than Dak. But after four seasons he still struggles with accuracy. That's my only hang up with him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand the QB salary situation is inflating by the year. But Dak wants more than any of these guys. He will be demanding more than Big Ben, who has two rings. Nobody works harder and has a better attitude than Dak. But after four seasons he still struggles with accuracy. That's my only hang up with him.
If Big Ben signed a contract today he'd get over 35 mil. Plus the dude is old and those Superbowls were years ago. What he did years ago doesn't really tell you what he is capable of today.

data

Forbes #1
The Broncos played hardball with Brock Osweiler and have been in turmoil since. They’ve done everything that we’d do — trade up for a 1st round QB (Paxton Lynch), sign big dollars for non-QB while going mediocre at QB (Simien), reasonable grade for a Bus-driver (Case Keenum), and then signing a past-his-prime veteran (Flacco). All these moves preserved their salary cap distribution, Results have been disastrous.

Here’s the bottom line — overpay Dak for Top 5 money and, yeah, you lose ability to go after a top free agent, but at least you’ll still be a playoff contender with a chance.

Let Dak go and you’ll have a harder time succeeding with ass at QB surrounded by one or two additional free agents.

Scenario A - Dak Prescott and Xavier Woods
Scenario B - Joe Flacco and Earl Thomas

Cujo

DCC 4Life

He wants more than 33 right? How does my point not hold? Because of Goff? Ask the Rams if they're regretting that. I'd have zero problem with 30-32 which is the median number of that group.

Cotton

Staff member
He wants more than 33 right? How does my point not hold? Because of Goff? Ask the Rams if they're regretting that. I'd have zero problem with 30-32 which is the median number of that group.
It has been speculated that he wants more simply because he turned down the contact. There are many other reasons besides annual salary that could cause him to turn it down. Guarantees, number of years, offset language, front loaded versus back loaded, etc.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It has been speculated that he wants more simply because he turned down the contact. There are many other reasons besides annual salary that could cause him to turn it down. Guarantees, number of years, offset language, front loaded versus back loaded, etc.
1053 keeps saying the holdup is contract length, Dak wants around a 4year deal and we keep offering around 7years

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If QB contracts were stagnant that would make perfect sense. They aren't though. They go up every year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1053 keeps saying the holdup is contract length, Dak wants around a 4year deal and we keep offering around 7years
I want 7 too. But if Dak wins a Superbowl you know in 4 years he will get paid huge money as a QB in his prime so I can see why the other side wants that. The benefit of course is that its easier for us to get out of a 4 year deal if things don't progress in the right direction. They should compromise with a 5 or 6 year deal and just get the shit done. So what, you'll be back at this again a half a decade from now but the way players hold out for new deals all the time I'm not banking on him not wanting it ripped up early anyway.

Cotton

Staff member
That makes more sense to me.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I can do four years. At least it gives us an out if he underperforms. If he succeeds it's worth it to pay up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is all Goof Son wanting funny money flex.

Prescott's team probably wants more real money in a shorter time frame, for which I cannot blame them.

data

Forbes #1
7 year contract vs 4 year contract?

Well, 7 years ago, the 2012 salary cap was $120M (57% increase since 2012) and 3 years ago $155M (21% increase since 2016) while it sits at $188M today.

You want the extra 3 years, then you’ll have to up the guaranteed money accordingly.

$35M today is 19% of today’s salary cap. $56M is 19% of 2026’s salary cap, assuming the same 57% increase.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
7 year contract vs 4 year contract?

Well, 7 years ago, the 2012 salary cap was $120M (57% increase since 2012) and 3 years ago $155M (21% increase since 2016) while it sits at $188M today.

You want the extra 3 years, then you’ll have to up the guaranteed money accordingly.

$35M today is 19% of today’s salary cap. $56M is 19% of 2026’s salary cap, assuming the same 57% increase.
That's exactly why we want the longer contract. 35 mil right now seems like a lot. But 35 mil 5 years from now will be a bargain. So you pay more now to recoup savings later. You do a 4 year deal and you'll pay him now and in 4 years you'll be paying him 56 mil a season. Which is far more of a cap killer. If you save on the back end of the contract you can push some cap money now into future years and balance it all out. Making for an easy contract to handle under the cap.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
If the Cowboys are trying to get him to sign for 7 years this thing will never get done. No quarterback is signing a deal for that long. They know what "funny money" looks like far better than we do. And they also know better than we do that the salary cap is about to explode under the next CBA. And they want to be able to get at that even bigger money as soon as they can.

Did anyone see Goff and Wentz signing 7 year deals? No, and you won't see Dak sign one either.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dak has taken this thread over, too...

Top Bottom