Cowboys Coaching Carousel 2024

p1_

DCC 4Life
And we wonder why the defense wasn't prepared at all. This is why I fucking hate this stuff going on during the playoffs. Quinn was busy preparing for like 5 interviews instead of preparing to advance in the playoffs. I wish we had a head coach with the balls to tell his assistants to fuck off with interviewing during the season.
or that his gameplan was shit, and that it was unacceptable.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
or that his gameplan was shit, and that it was unacceptable.
Yeah, I don't think it was a lack of preparation.

I think the gameplan was just awful coupled with him stubbornly refusing to make adjustments to his system.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Someone at the zzone who listens to the DC.com podcasts said Stanback or one of the more intelligent ones claimed that Dan had to play zone because Gilmore's shoulder meant he couldn't press.

I don't buy that at all. You can play man off or not bump and still play man. If that's what Dan really was doing, that's pretty sad reasoning IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think the gameplan was just awful coupled with him stubbornly refusing to make adjustments to his system.
Um doesn't preparation create your game plan? Like you watch the film, see tendencies and then tailor your game plan to stop what the other team does? So if your game plan blows, isn't it sort of fair to say you weren't properly prepared for the game? It's not like the Packers came out and did anything unexpected.

His head was clearly not in it. And I blame that on the interviews. Quinn last year was focused on the defense and they played really well in the 49ers loss.

This time around no amount of great offense was overcoming that defensive game plan.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target

Best LBer is getting mauled trying rush passer 90% of the time so you're stuck with one unproven LB in Clark and a bunch of DBs. So you are basically stuck in a dime defense full time. It is ludicrous when you think about it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't buy that at all. You can play man off or not bump and still play man. If that's what Dan really was doing, that's pretty sad reasoning IMO.
Yeah I don't buy that at all. If that's the case you just can't play Gilmore then. You don't change your scheme entirely just because one player has a questionable shoulder. That would be insane. And clearly our defensive guys have no idea how to run a zone properly. That's why half our defenders are covering no one while Packers were running wide open.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This time around no amount of great offense was overcoming that defensive game plan.
Yep, Dan had to have been distracted. Or just knew he was out and didn't care that much. That's hard to believe with a true pro like him, but that's what it looked like.

I still think the players got wind of it and pouted or felt sorry for themselves that he was leaving. No matter the gameplan, there's no excuse for that kind of soft, gutless performance. Covering and tackling and getting off blocks is in even the worst game plan.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's idiotic, Werder. Truly idiotic.

Where's CowboyChris when you need him? :unsure

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Let's fuck the fans and the team to teach Mike a lesson! :picard

That cripples the team. Don't expect any assistant coach worth their salt to coach here so then you hope Quinn stays.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, we know.

I expect it. I'm not even sure I'm upset about it. But I also don't think you can sit on the fence and make him a lame duck head coach. No good assistants will want to come to Dallas. And if we keep McCarthy we need some serious upgrades at DC (Yes I said it) and O-line coach. And with a new defensive coordinator means new defensive position staff as well.

If you keep McCarthy on the last year of his contract, you're just setting the whole situation up for failure. If that's the case then yeah, I'll be a little pissed because we need to move on. McCarthy has been here 4 years. You either have faith that the guy can get this team over the hump or you have faith that he can't. Don't fucking sit on the fence at this point and lose a year "evaluating" if you like the guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garrett coached his last year without an extension. If fatso gets one, it'll be one year at most.
This is where the real penny pinching comes in with Jerry. There is no salary cap on head coaches. You could give the guy a 5 year extension and make him look like a made man. You can then pick almost any assistant you want. And next year cut his ass. You have the money to do it. And there is no salary cap implications.

But ole Jerry hates paying coaches. So the thought of giving a guy a five year deal and not having him coach the full 5 years just kills him. So he won't do it. Because he is pinching pennies. He also won't pay top dollar for a coach. Because he is a cheap ass. So the thought of him going out and getting a Vrabel, or Bill or whoever. It's not going to happen unless those guys want to take less money to have an owner who will try to walk over over them.

Again, when it comes down to it, Jerry is a cheap ass. He will play it off like he is willing to throw any money at this thing to win a superbowl. But he won't. He uses the salary cap as an excuse to not have to throw that kind of money at players. He won't do it with coaches. The whole concept that Jerry will spend whatever it takes to win a Superbowl is just an invention of Jerry Jones to market to fans.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think we saw that coming at this point. Hopefully Quinn goes but they're not likely to fire him until after HC hirings are done.

Top Bottom