Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Beat Kansas by 29!!!

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Not trying to hate on her or anything but I think an argument can be made that her record deserves some sort of asterisk because of the change in rules over the years.

Prior to 1972 freshmen weren't allowed to play on varsity teams. Therefore Maravich only had 3 years to accumulate his stats. Also, when Maravich played in college only 16 teams made the tournament and tournament stats didn't count towards your career numbers like they do now. So not only do modern players get an extra year, they also have the opportunity to add 8-10 games of stats to their resume via their conference and NCAA tournaments.

I said the same thing last year when some player from an obscure small university was close to breaking Maravich's record.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not trying to hate on her or anything but I think an argument can be made that her record deserves some sort of asterisk because of the change in rules over the years.

Pior to 1972 freshmen weren't allowed to play on varsity teams. Therefore Maravich only had 3 years to accumulate his stats. Also, when Maravich played in college only 16 teams made the tournament and tournament stats didn't count towards your career numbers like they do now. So not only do modern players get an extra year, they also have the opportunity to add 8-10 games of stats to their resume via their conference and NCAA tournaments.

I said the same thing last year when some player from an obscure small university was close to breaking Maravich's record.
She's also a cocky little heifer.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Pior to 1972 freshmen weren't allowed to play on varsity teams. Therefore Maravich only had 3 years to accumulate his stats. Also, when Maravich played in college only 16 teams made the tournament and tournament stats didn't count towards your career numbers like they do now. So not only do modern players get an extra year, they also have the opportunity to add 8-10 games of stats to their resume via their conference and NCAA tournaments.

Wouldn't you have to have asterisks on every record then? At one point there were more games played then previously as well as other changes.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Wouldn't you have to have asterisks on every record then? At one point there were more games played then previously as well as other changes.
I think they do sort of put asterisks on most modern records in every sport. They may not put a literal asterisk next to the record but I've noticed that they usually add qualifiers when discussing a record in order to acknowledges changes made through the eras. Like in MLB, I think they still make a point to highlight records set when the regular season was only 154 games.

1bigfan13

Staff member
She's also a cocky little heifer.
I'm fine with that. I like a little spice in my athlete. It adds to the entertainment value of the game, IMO.

Michael Irvin was cocky. Did you have a problem with him back in the 90s?

Top Bottom