Brugler's Top 50

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah with Kirk it's more that we just don't know because of what Texas AM asked him to do. If the guy looks great at workouts running the full route tree I may consider him in the first if I were the Cowboys. The guy reminds me a ton of Tyreek Hill. Who again is one of those super productive guys given the amount of targets that went his way.
If the coaches know how to use him. Do our coaches know how to adjust their scheme to fit the players? I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him because of that. I just see a couple of years lost if Garrett and his merry band of idiots don't go soon.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If the coaches know how to use him. Do our coaches know how to adjust their scheme to fit the players? I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him because of that. I just see a couple of years lost if Garrett and his merry band of idiots don't go soon.
Well Dak did mention Kansas City as an offense to watch.....

Cotton

Staff member
Well Dak did mention Kansas City as an offense to watch.....
And, since Garrett can't come up with a winning scheme on his own, I guess that's our only hope.

vince

Not So New Member
I ask this in all seriousness, what HC was able to be successful with different franchise QBs? I can't think of any. And I believe Garrett's "success" with Romo will not carry over to Dak. We need a new HC.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that's a whole different problem. But at least guys like Kirk and Hill are able to create big plays on their own. If the ball is in their hands they could go the distance at any moment. We really don't have any guys like that right now except maybe Zeke. Everyone else is pretty much catch the ball and get down.

Part of it too is that I don't view Garrett as the long term solution. So I want the offensive pieces in place for the next guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ask this in all seriousness, what HC was able to be successful with different franchise QBs? I can't think of any. And I believe Garrett's "success" with Romo will not carry over to Dak. We need a new HC.
Yeah I don't know that I'd say what he did with Romo was a success.

I am a little excited to see more Cooper Rush in preseason. I hope he doesn't regress after a year in our system.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Romo was at his best when he went off script and got away from Garretts offensive plan ...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don’t even think my preference would be to address WR in the second or third. I’d probably go after a guy like John Brown or Taylor Gabriel in FA and call it a day.

My ideal three rounds would be like....

Derwin James/Trevon Edmunds
Harrison Phillips
Best remaining OL

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Is Harold Landry capable of playing OLB in a 4-3? Or is he more just an edge rusher?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t even think my preference would be to address WR in the second or third. I’d probably go after a guy like John Brown or Taylor Gabriel in FA and call it a day.

Harrison Phillips
Best remaining OL
If I'm signing a 5'8" 165 pound receiver who had 378 yards receiving last year and was cut by the Browns earlier in his career and calling it quits than you have zero intentions of giving Dak any type of help. I mean that's a joke really.

Or hey lets go with John Brown who is coming off 21 catches and 299 yards and injury plagued.

I mean if signing one of those guys is your solution to our lack of talent at WR, then you either hate Dak or are delusional. Shit at least give me Paul Richardson. Your solution is to basically throw out the same shit plus a JAG and tell Dak to suck it up and do better. And when we get even worse (Witten and Dez a year older and a year slower) I'm sure you'll point at Dak blame him but in fairness you set him up for total failure.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In an ideal world for me we cut Dez. I'd use the money to sign Star Lotulelei and Richardson (Resign Hitchens).

I'd take Derwin James in the first and be set on defense. From there it's time to take on the offense. I'd be happy going TE/WR/OL in the second round. Just sort of depends who drops to us at that point. And then keep loading up on those 3 positions as the draft.

I love defense as much as the next guy but our last 2 NFL drafts have been heavy on the defensive side. It's time to give this offense some much needed attention.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Romo was at his best when he went off script and got away from Garretts offensive plan ...

Romo is the only goddamn reason Garrett has had a career. Without him, he would've been fired years ago.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If I'm signing a 5'8" 165 pound receiver who had 378 yards receiving last year and was cut by the Browns earlier in his career and calling it quits than you have zero intentions of giving Dak any type of help. I mean that's a joke really.

Or hey lets go with John Brown who is coming off 21 catches and 299 yards and injury plagued.

I mean if signing one of those guys is your solution to our lack of talent at WR, then you either hate Dak or are delusional. Shit at least give me Paul Richardson. Your solution is to basically throw out the same shit plus a JAG and tell Dak to suck it up and do better. And when we get even worse (Witten and Dez a year older and a year slower) I'm sure you'll point at Dak blame him but in fairness you set him up for total failure.
Paul Richardson is just as much of a risk, just because you like him doesn't erase the fact that he didn't do shit for 3 years until he got into a contract year. I like Richardson plenty but let's not act like he'd be some slam dunk blue chipper, he had about 400 yards and 2 TD's combined his first 3 seasons before having a good but not great 2017 with 44/703/6.

I don't know what John Brown's injury situation is but I do know he put up 1000 yards and 7 TD's two years ago and he's had to put up with a terrible QB situation while Richardson is playing with an MVP candidate. His per game yardage production the last 2 years isn't even that far off of Richardson in 2017 (44 YPG vs. 32.6).

If the choice is Richardson at 8 a year or Brown at 3 a year I'm going Brown all day.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo is the only goddamn reason Garrett has had a career. Without him, he would've been fired years ago.
Probably. I think if Garrett had lobbied to bring Romo back to join the team for the playoffs after his injury the Cowboys would be wearing Super Bowl rings. Guess he wasn’t savvy enough to know the the team needed Romos experience at that level of play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Paul Richardson is just as much of a risk, just because you like him doesn't erase the fact that he didn't do shit for 3 years until he got into a contract year. I like Richardson plenty but let's not act like he'd be some slam dunk blue chipper, he had about 400 yards and 2 TD's combined his first 3 seasons before having a good but not great 2017 with 44/703/6.

I don't know what John Brown's injury situation is but I do know he put up 1000 yards and 7 TD's two years ago and he's had to put up with a terrible QB situation while Richardson is playing with an MVP candidate. His per game yardage production the last 2 years isn't even that far off of Richardson in 2017 (44 YPG vs. 32.6).

If the choice is Richardson at 8 a year or Brown at 3 a year I'm going Brown all day.
The difference is I'm not signing Richardson and calling it quits. I'm hoping to draft 2 receivers as well.

But if I'm spending 8 a year on a WR in free agency I better be getting Sammy Watkins or Landry. If Richardson is that pricey I'd probably prefer John Brown as well even though he is coming off a terrible season and some serious medical questions. And again still draft 2 receivers and a TE hopefully.

Actually looked up John Browns injury history and I definitely do not want him. Beyond just the fact that he has the sickle cell trait, he had a cyst on his spine, concussions, quadriceps injuries, hamstring injuries, back injuries and toe injuries. And that injury list is just over the last two years. At one point John Brown admitted that he couldn't run past anyone or even play with his kids because of the injuries. I want nothing to do with that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the guy retires.

Last edited:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Gibbs won SB's with 3 different QB's... Does that count?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Probably. I think if Garrett had lobbied to bring Romo back to join the team for the playoffs after his injury the Cowboys would be wearing Super Bowl rings. Guess he wasn’t savvy enough to know the the team needed Romos experience at that level of play.
Nah Romo was a choker, he definitely was no Aikman

Cotton

Staff member

Harrison Phillips
Best remaining OL
Who?

Cotton

Staff member
The difference is I'm not signing Richardson and calling it quits. I'm hoping to draft 2 receivers as well.

But if I'm spending 8 a year on a WR in free agency I better be getting Sammy Watkins or Landry. If Richardson is that pricey I'd probably prefer John Brown as well even though he is coming off a terrible season and some serious medical questions. And again still draft 2 receivers and a TE hopefully.

Actually looked up John Browns injury history and I definitely do not want him. Beyond just the fact that he has the sickle cell trait, he had a cyst on his spine, concussions, quadriceps injuries, hamstring injuries, back injuries and toe injuries. And that injury list is just over the last two years. At one point John Brown admitted that he couldn't run past anyone or even play with his kids because of the injuries. I want nothing to do with that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the guy doesn't retire.
There is no way Richardson is going to pull 8 a year. No damn way.

Top Bottom