BBQ Thread

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The smoked turkeys were a hit.

Cut the backbone out and smashed the breast plate.

I made a brine and rub from scratch. Brined for 36 hours.

Cooked them on cherry and applewood at 225 to a temp of 165 in the breast.

The smaller birds were all ready in under 3 hours, but two 25#ers cooked nearly 7 hours.

These were the tastiest and juiciest turkeys I've ever cooked.

FWIW, my brother cooked the ham at his house and it was kinda dry.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
22688~2.jpeg

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Plus it's always fun to say.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sharing this with the BBQ thread, since I just discovered the best way to prepare wings.

With the fry temp at 370 initially, fry the wings for 12 minutes or so.

Toss them in whatever sauce you're using, then thrown them on a hot grill for 3 -5 minutes...turning a time or two.

Holy shit, not sure what magic the grill imparts but the results are consistently great...crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and good af.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sharing this with the BBQ thread, since I just discovered the best way to prepare wings.

With the fry temp at 370 initially, fry the wings for 12 minutes or so.

Toss them in whatever sauce you're using, then thrown them on a hot grill for 3 -5 minutes...turning a time or two.

Holy shit, not sure what magic the grill imparts but the results are consistently great...crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and good af.
May have to try this.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Leftover wings are usually not that great, but these were fanfuckingtastical warmed up in a microwave the next day.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I made 3 racks of pork ribs yesterday, and I have to say is that all of you need to go to Hutchins BBQ’s website and order their basting glaze. I lightly basted the ribs about 30 minutes before I pulled them off the smoker and once again before I let them rest. They were amazing.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I made 3 racks of pork ribs yesterday, and I have to say is that all of you need to go to Hutchins BBQ’s website and order their basting glaze. I lightly basted the ribs about 30 minutes before I pulled them off the smoker and once again before I let them rest. They were amazing.
What is your set-up. I’m a baby back fanatic and roll with BGE using Car Wash Mike’s method.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
What is your set-up. I’m a baby back fanatic and roll with BGE using Car Wash Mike’s method.
I prefer to smoke St. Louis cut or spareribs because they tend to cook more evenly in my smoker. My smoker cooks really slowly, so I have to fast cook baby backs, which often leaves them a bit tough. If I smoke them normally, they get too much bark and taste overly smoked, and I don’t like the way they typically turn out.

Method:
13 ingredient rub.
6’ long offset smoker at 250°. (Sometimes I’ll use the reverse flow on it if the weather is shitty and I need better temperature control.)
Huge water pan directly in front of the fire from the fire box.
Mix of (well seasoned) oak and pecan wood w/ the last 30 minutes using red oak bark.

Spray the ribs with apple juice every 30 minutes after the bark starts to set and the ribs have a nice deep pink-red exterior color. (My smoker cooks at ~2 hours per pound, so I see that after about ~90-120 minutes on the smoker.)

Lightly coat the ribs with the basting glaze for the last 30 minutes (and again during the rest a few minutes before serving). This is not to have a thick, heavy coat. It should be pretty light.

Pull the ribs when the rack is “bendy” as my son calls it. (Basically, the rack bends in an upside down u shape and bounces like a spring when moved up and down)

Note: I used to wrap the ribs in foil with butter and brown sugar for the last hour of the smoke, but the ribs got too sticky for my liking, so I stopped doing that.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Damn it, man.

I stopped at the grocery store at lunch to grab some chicken wings to grill this evening.

Got them marinating in Italian dressing, Dr. Pepper, and Buffalo sauce...I know they're gonna be good as hell, but.......

20 drums + 20 flats = $40

This might be the last time we eat wings for awhile.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Damn it, man.

I stopped at the grocery store at lunch to grab some chicken wings to grill this evening.

Got them marinating in Italian dressing, Dr. Pepper, and Buffalo sauce...I know they're gonna be good as hell, but.......

Jesus. That's ridiculous.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Damn it, man.

I will never stop eating wings. Being a thousandaire allows for these things.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Damn it, man.

Sorry, bird flu took out all the chickens. Eggs are of course also going up.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Damn it, man.

Jesus Christ, that’s really fucking expensive.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The chicken industry is at a line with the gas peddlers.
No shit.

On a side note, I had an amazing sandwich earlier today. It was a smoked short rib grilled cheese. A shit ton of short ribs, lots of cheddar cheese, bacon, onion straws, on double parmesan crusted sourdough bread with hickory sauce on the side. It was the best sandwich that I’ve had in years. Stupid delicious.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Taught my wife how to grill chicken breasts last night.

She wants to learn how to smoke bbq next.

That shit's not gonna happen though.

I have no doubt she could do it, she just doesn't need to be infringing on my smoking methods.

She's the type who can't handle downtime...there's laundry or dishes to do, or sweeping, mopping, dusting...and I need to be focused on the smoke.

Top Bottom