Archer: Cowboys now in must-have mode at cornerback in the draft

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This just isn't true. I can show you multiple examples of really good pass defenses last year that had worse pass rushes than ours. Hell look no further then the New York Giants in our own division. They had a far superior pass defense but had fewer sacks than Dallas.

Ultimately I do agree that pass rushers are more important than your DBs. But even more importantly I look at the talent in this draft and frankly I just think you're better off with a first round pass rush and a second round DB as opposed to a first round DB and a second round pass rusher. I just think there is a big drop off in terms of pass rushers after Carl Lawson there is a drop off at DE.
See this makes way too much sense and spits in the face of the hyperbolic argument that CBs are "bit players" who are less important than punters.

You need talent at every level of defense, and the draft is about talent first.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Everything I've heard said Charlton is possibly a better 3-4 OLB.

Odd.
I haven't heard a single expert / draft scout say that Charlton is a fit at all as a 3-4 OLB. He runs a 4.9 40, he doesn't have the speed to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme. I have heard some that think he's a better fit as a 3-4 DE, though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't heard a single expert / draft scout say that Charlton is a fit at all as a 3-4 OLB. He runs a 4.9 40, he doesn't have the speed to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme. I have heard some that think he's a better fit as a 3-4 DE, though.
Which is equally retarded and a waste of his skills.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have a feeling Charlton has low SPARQ score and probably we won't pick him as a result.

Just as well, since ii get a bust vibe from him.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
As this forum's resident Michigan man, Charlton is a fine pro prospect. He has a lot of areas to improve on, but I feel that he's a much better prospect than a guy like Harris.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It seems like every year Mizzou sends a couple of highly touted pass rushers to the draft, but I don't recall any of them really setting the league on fire...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shane Ray is pretty good.
Markus Golden is not bad either. Harris may be more in line with him. A bunch of draftniks are very negative on him, but the comparisons to Michael Sam are just wrong.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The two rushers I am warming up to the most at the moment are T.J. Watt and Derek Rivers. Barnett is the one I hope makes it down to us, which is doubtful.

Pretty much convinced unless some highly regarded rusher "drops" to us and makes our decision harder, we are unfortunately going to take a corner and then end up with a dice roll like Demarcus Lawrence.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
The two rushers I am warming up to the most at the moment are T.J. Watt and Derek Rivers. Barnett is the one I hope makes it down to us, which is doubtful.

Pretty much convinced unless some highly regarded rusher "drops" to us and makes our decision harder, we are unfortunately going to take a corner and then end up with a dice roll like Demarcus Lawrence.
Heaven forbid

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Could be a safety instead of a CB, which I'd fine more palatable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Could be a safety instead of a CB, which I'd fine more palatable.
I would happily take Peppers or Budda Baker at 28. I bet you we wouldn't though. Aside from Lynch, Marinelli has never valued safeties.

townsend

Banned
This guy needs to stay out of the draft room.

I can't stand the way he undervalues talent because it supposedly doesn't fit his overrated model.
We got good value on Collins and Brown last year. Jury's out on Tapper and Smith. But I don't want to change very much from our 2016 draft strategy.

The worst thing we have going in the draft with defensive players is we keep taking high risk players who keep getting hurt or suspended or both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would happily take Peppers or Budda Baker at 28. I bet you we wouldn't though. Aside from Lynch, Marinelli has never valued safeties.
We took Byron Jones in the first. And I agree with you on those two players in the first.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The worst thing we have going in the draft with defensive players is we keep taking high risk players who keep getting hurt or suspended or both.
We are stubborn when it comes to drafting the non "quick-twitch" player in early rounds, so we take risks or waste draft picks trading up.

Michael Brockers, Bobby Wagner, Kony Ealy, Trai Turner, and anyone-- fucking *anyone*-- besides Randy Gregory would have made for a damned fine roster. Even Jack over Jaylon.

We never learn.

Sure sign of a loser is the guy who consistently passes over a sure thing for even a minuscule chance for a huge strike.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Peppers doesn't do it for me. At least, not to the level that people are fawning over him for. He's a great athlete, sure. And plays all over. Good for him. But where is the production? 3 sacks 1 INT, 0 FR 0 FF. For his entire college career. There are maybe 5-6 guys I'd prefer at safety over him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Peppers doesn't do it for me. At least, not to the level that people are fawning over him for. He's a great athlete, sure. And plays all over. Good for him. But where is the production? 3 sacks 1 INT, 0 FR 0 FF. For his entire college career. There are maybe 5-6 guys I'd prefer at safety over him.
I very much agree.

Top Bottom