Archer: Cowboys now in must-have mode at cornerback in the draft

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Since when is the consensus that Taco Charlton is better than Charles Harris?

I do not think that is clear.... I think a lot of sources like Harris better... he is at least on near-equal footing.
Blasphemy!!

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
If the BPA is a DE I don't think we will pass them up just for the sake of a DB.

If Barnett or Charlton is there and we pass them up for Tre'Davious White or some such, I'll be quite pissed. But what if Charles Harris is the best DE on the board?

Would you be upset if we went with Budda Baker or Marlon Humphrey?

I wouldn't be.
If we take BPA you can't be too upset. But we have to keep in mind the best chances to improve our pass rush evaporate quickly after the first round. That isn't true for upgrading the secondary or another deep position in this draft like TE.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we take BPA you can't be too upset. But we have to keep in mind the best chances to improve our pass rush evaporate quickly after the first round. That isn't true for upgrading the secondary or another deep position in this draft like TE.
I don't think that's necessarily the case, a guy like Basham, Willis or Rivers in the 2nd would be perfectly fine, maybe even Lawson falls that far or we look to trade up if he gets to about 50-55. Or we could even get an interior pass-rusher like Brantley or Walker in the 2nd.

It's not DE or bust for me in the 1st, especially if Harris is the best DE available. The problem is that we'll probably end up dicking around in the 2nd and may ignore DE all together, which obviously would be an issue.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
God that was like a lifetime ago.

Its funny our secondary kind of sucked last year. If we resign Carr and Claiborne the word would be our corners suck and it's more of the same. We let them go and instead its a freak out that we have total suckage back there. If we want to get better on defense we have to make changes.
It is an odd situation because we did need to upgrade, but losing all four at the same time without knowing if their replacements are going to be better is a dilemma too.

I thought we might've been able to keep Mo and one of the safeties while letting the other two walk. But as it turned out all four got offers better than what we were willing to pay. I think we made the right decision because none of the four were worth overpaying to keep. It's just that as it turned out we are now having to replace all four, and at least 3 probably with rookies which will present challenges.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is an odd situation because we did need to upgrade, but losing all four at the same time without knowing if their replacements are going to be better is a dilemma too.

I thought we might've been able to keep Mo and one of the safeties while letting the other two walk. But as it turned out all four got offers better than what we were willing to pay. I think we made the right decision because none of the four were worth overpaying to keep. It's just that as it turned out we are now having to replace all four, and at least 3 probably with rookies which will present challenges.
Well one wasn't even a starter in Wilcox.

One was replaced by Carroll.

So yeah 4 defections in the offseason sounds like a lot but people overstate the impact. Claiborne only started half the season. Carr was essentially replaced with Carroll. We drafted Brown and Frazier last year who the coaches clearly like. Hell Brown started for much of last season.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If the BPA is a DE I don't think we will pass them up just for the sake of a DB.

If Barnett or Charlton is there and we pass them up for Tre'Davious White or some such, I'll be quite pissed. But what if Charles Harris is the best DE on the board?

Would you be upset if we went with Budda Baker or Marlon Humphrey?

I wouldn't be.
Right now both DE and secondary are about equal needs. I prefer DE in the first but wouldn't be opposed to a DB if most of the DE's are off the board and the DB is in fact the BPA. But I have a feeling we'll prioritize DB over all other areas. Whatever we do in the first we'll be relegated to having to fill the other need with a low 2nd or 3rd and thats if we don't go with another position like TE or LB or another flier on an injured prospect who fell out of the first.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hereby decree from this day forward Taco Charlton be referred to not as Charlton but rather as Taco. Carry on.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Harris looked good in the drills, didn't test well though, but his height/weight and workout numbers are almost identical to Lawrence's a few years ago.

I'd be fine with him at 28, and I think he could be the pick, but I wouldn't lose my shit if we passed him up like I would if Barnett were there.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This whole infatuation with Taco Charlton cause his name is Taco is just kinda stupid.
Who is infatuated with him because of his name?

I don't give a shit if his name was Bob Smith. I'd still like him just as much.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Who is infatuated with him because of his name?

I don't give a shit if his name was Bob Smith. I'd still like him just as much.
I will admit it's probably just me as I have never seen him play a down (just like most of the college football players). So in a way Smitty calling me stupid but that's ok. The guy that supported Hambrick and supports Garrett is calling me stupid. I can live with that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I will admit it's probably just me as I have never seen him play a down (just like most of the college football players). So in a way Smitty calling me stupid but that's ok. The guy that supported Hambrick and supports Garrett is calling me stupid. I can live with that.
Not calling you stupid, just saying this cult of personality that has developed around Charlton because of his name is stupid.

I'm no expert on the draft this year either, haven't watched much college football, but I can definitely tell this guy is reaching cult hero status around here because his name sounds cool.

When in reality if you listen to some sources, he could very easily go in the second round. I'm not sold on him for a base 4-3 team.

I think Harris is a better fit for us.

Also... way to reach back with that Hambrick reference... topical, I like it. And criticizing me for "supporting" the coach of the year (when in reality I've said he's average and would replace him with a top tier coach)... also smart.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not calling you stupid, just saying this cult of personality that has developed around Charlton because of his name is stupid.

I'm no expert on the draft this year either, haven't watched much college football, but I can definitely tell this guy is reaching cult hero status around here because his name sounds cool.

When in reality if you listen to some sources, he could very easily go in the second round. I'm not sold on him for a base 4-3 team.

I think Harris is a better fit for us.

Also... way to reach back with that Hambrick reference... topical, I like it. And criticizing me for "supporting" the coach of the year (when in reality I've said he's average and would replace him with a top tier coach)... also smart.
You think I like Charlton because of his name?

Heh.

Top Bottom