Archer: Cowboys now in must-have mode at cornerback in the draft

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hey, have you guys heard of that DE from Michigan? Vidauntae Charlton. I really like him with our first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When in reality if you listen to some sources, he could very easily go in the second round. I'm not sold on him for a base 4-3 team.

I think Harris is a better fit for us.
First of all, anyone who has a chance at being available at pick 28 has a chance of going in the second round. But I can't even think of a recent mock draft that had Taco not going in the first round. So I'm not sure what "sources" you're listening too.

And what position do you think he is a fit for? If he isn't a 4-3 DE what do you think he is? I mean Taco is actually a perfect fit for a 4-3. A guy like Charles Harris who I also really like is debatably a better fit for a 3-4 OLBer spot. Same thing with McKinnley. I don't think there is much of a legitimate debate that Taco is a better fit for a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Now if you like Harris better, I don't have a problem with that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder to an extent with these DEs. They all have different talents and ways of getting to the QB. Frankly I don't have any good arguments against any of the group of DE's we have been discussing. It's more just a matter of preference.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
BTW, I think Brandon Flowers would be a solid replacement for Carr and he's still out there.

Much like Carr, he's solid if not spectacular and we'd at least be in a position where we wouldn't have to force our hand.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't care about sack totals. I care about letting Aaron Rodgers kill us at the end of games when he has all the time in the world for his receivers to get open because we can't even get hurry ups much less sacks. We may not be the worst pass rushing team but we're certainly not where we need to be either. We need that one guy teams have to fear every down and those guys are easiest to find in the first round.

I just don't want us to panic and go DB too early in a fit of desperation and miss out on possibly a really good pass rusher. As you rightly point out the good ones are going to start getting really scarce right around where we pick in the first whereas quality DB's should be available well into the 3rd round this draft. For the first time in a long time on defense the strength of this draft matches up well with what we need if Jerry and company don't blow it.
How quickly some people forget.

I read post after post here of how the pass rush, although it was weak, would get the job done in the playoffs.

Aaron Rodgers had all fucking DAY to throw against the Dallas D. Outside of a few designed blitzes and stunts that got to Rodgers in the beginning, the Packers adjusted and had their way.

This team needs pass rushers, and when they think they have drafted enough, they need to draft one more to be safe. And CB's? Jesus lets not even pretend there's a shot in hell at finding a difference maker with the current staff in place.

Bottom line is the drafting success with CB's and DE's in this organization has been putrid outside of DeMarcus Ware.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW, I think Brandon Flowers would be a solid replacement for Carr and he's still out there.

Much like Carr, he's solid if not spectacular and we'd at least be in a position where we wouldn't have to force our hand.
I'd be ok with him as well. Just sort of another solid option if he can stay healthy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd be ok with him as well. Just sort of another solid option if he can stay healthy.
That's the only issue with him, but even then, he's not a guy who misses 5 games a year or anything.

He'll usually miss a game or two and I can live with that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aaron Rodgers had all fucking DAY to throw against the Dallas D. Outside of a few designed blitzes and stunts that got to Rodgers in the beginning, the Packers adjusted and had their way.
Hopefully we find some guys that know how to break through holds.

Of course they will have all day when you rush 3 guys and the O-line is doing this.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
First of all, anyone who has a chance at being available at pick 28 has a chance of going in the second round. But I can't even think of a recent mock draft that had Taco not going in the first round. So I'm not sure what "sources" you're listening too.

And what position do you think he is a fit for? If he isn't a 4-3 DE what do you think he is? I mean Taco is actually a perfect fit for a 4-3. A guy like Charles Harris who I also really like is debatably a better fit for a 3-4 OLBer spot. Same thing with McKinnley. I don't think there is much of a legitimate debate that Taco is a better fit for a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Now if you like Harris better, I don't have a problem with that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder to an extent with these DEs. They all have different talents and ways of getting to the QB. Frankly I don't have any good arguments against any of the group of DE's we have been discussing. It's more just a matter of preference.
Everything I've heard said Charlton is possibly a better 3-4 OLB.

Odd.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Hopefully we find some guys that know how to break through holds.

Of course they will have all day when you rush 3 guys and the O-line is doing this.
Point taken. that still fuckin pisses me off.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything I've heard said Charlton is possibly a better 3-4 OLB.

Odd.
That's odd to me because of his bigger frame. Charlton isn't a 6'3" 260 pound dude. He has the body and build of a 3 down 4-3 DE. He is a physical guy, which usually pegs someone as a 4-3 DE.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's odd to me because of his bigger frame. Charlton isn't a 6'3" 260 pound dude. He has the body and build of a 3 down 4-3 DE. He is a physical guy, which usually pegs someone as a 4-3 DE.
He's 6-6, 280, that's certainly no 3-4 OLB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Point taken. that still fuckin pisses me off.
Yeah that Packers game still pisses me off a ton. And it's sad because the other part you'll notice on Irving is that not only is he being horribly held but he is essentially being triple teamed. How in the hell do you not have someone else get pressure in a situation like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's 6-6, 280, that's certainly no 3-4 OLB.
Don't get me wrong, he looks nothing like that weight. Some guys carry weight better then others. Even at 280 pounds Charleton looks like he is in great shape.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah that Packers game still pisses me off a ton. And it's sad because the other part you'll notice on Irving is that not only is he being horribly held but he is essentially being triple teamed. How in the hell do you not have someone else get pressure in a situation like that.
Because our "pass rushers" are shit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's pretty close to the size Ellis was at when he played OLB in 06 and 07.
Great and we all know Ellis wasn't an ideal 3-4 OLB either, and was more or less shoehorned into it.

Someone that size could play the position but it's not the ideal fit.

Clowney for instance is 6-5 270, he can play 3-4 OLB but most recognize that he'd probably be a better fit as a 4-3 DE.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Charlton's size is why I prefer him slightly over guys like Harris in that 6'2 250ish range. Well that and more important factors like his nickname.
Absolutely, I mean Charles is more of an OG name...:art

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Not calling you stupid, just saying this cult of personality that has developed around Charlton because of his name is stupid.

I'm no expert on the draft this year either, haven't watched much college football, but I can definitely tell this guy is reaching cult hero status around here because his name sounds cool.

When in reality if you listen to some sources, he could very easily go in the second round. I'm not sold on him for a base 4-3 team.

I think Harris is a better fit for us.

Also... way to reach back with that Hambrick reference... topical, I like it. And criticizing me for "supporting" the coach of the year (when in reality I've said he's average and would replace him with a top tier coach)... also smart.
As a Tuna disciple shouldn't you adhere to his "Planet Theory" and pick [STRIKE]Taco[/STRIKE] Charlton over Harris?

Top Bottom