Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Those contracts aren't personal services contracts made between Sterling and those players outside the purview of the NBA. I doubt they would be enforceable if the league owners voted to declare them invalid under the circumstances.

They signed those contracts to play basketball, I don't think Sterling can hold them hostage because I would bet you can't force players to sit at home and ride out their deals any more in the NBA than you could in the NFL.
Doesn't the NFL do that all the time? Pays players not to play. I've seen players dismissed from teams before.

I don't know if the contract says "Void if the team gets kicked out of the league" though because I doubt that was ever contemplated.

Also, how is Sterling going to PAY them if the league folds the Clippers. Does he have so much cash on hand that he could actually pay their salaries and not breach their contracts with no revenue?
Well, that's up to him. If he can't pay, he breaches, they are free to move on.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
OMG...even the Bulls were not going to play tonight. Nope, no backlash at all. :lol

LOS ANGELES -- The Warriors players were prepared to boycott Game 5 of their first-round series against the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday had they been dissatisfied by sanctions announced by NBA commissioner Adam Silver.

Guard Stephen Curry said that had Silver merely announced an indefinite suspension and fine, every Warriors player planned to walk off the court as the jump ball was tossed for the opening tipoff.

"It would have been our only chance to make a statement in front of the biggest audience that we weren't going to accept anything but the maximum punishment," Curry said. "We would deal with the consequences later but we were not going to play."

NBA players association vice president Roger Mason Jr. said outside Staples Center that he spoke with Warriors center Jermaine O'Neal about a possible boycott.

"He said specifically that if they don't make that man sell his team or their recommendation isn't that, that they would be prepared to boycott the game and not play," Mason Jr. said.

Silver announced that Sterling would be banned for life from any association with the Clippers or the NBA while also that he would urge the league's Board of Governors to exercise its authority to force a sale.

"If the league didn't come down as harsh as it did, I think you would have seen not only the Golden State Warriors, but players leaguewide do something about it," Mason Jr. said.

Warriors coach Mark Jackson, who had said the previous day it was best for his team to play, acknowledged that a boycott was possible had Silver not acted.

"It was a real discussion amongst the players, and I think they were sitting, listening very closely to the tone and the words that came out of the mouth of the commissioner," Jackson said. "And so it was a real option."

With the NBA authorizing closed locker rooms for both teams before the game, citing an overwhelming amount of media requests, Warriors guard Stephen Curry released a statement before the game.

"I was pleased in the matter in which the NBA and Commissioner Silver handled this unfortunate situation -- promptly and decisively," Curry said. "There is no place for such hatred in the world or in the workplace. I think the message delivered today sends a strong but fair statement that such behavior will not be tolerated in our society, regardless of your stature. I hope we can put this behind us and move forward."

For more on the Warriors, see the Inside the Warriors blog at ibabuzz.com/warriors. Follow Diamond Leung on Twitter at twitter.com/diamond83.
-----------
Did the bold, historic punishment NBA Commissioner Adam Silver meted out to Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling avert a players’ boycott of Tuesday night playoff games?

Roger Mason Jr., the first vice-president of the National Basketball Players Association, said it did. Players were so outraged by Sterling’s racist comments that they were prepared to stage a walkout if Sterling’s punishment didn’t measure up.

“I heard from our players and all of our players felt like boycotting the games tonight,” Mason said. “We’re talking about all NBA players. We’re talking about the playoff games tonight.”

In a late-afternoon press conference in Los Angeles, Mason said he spoke to player representatives from every playoff team and there was no dissent. Games between the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards, the Memphis Grizzlies and Oklahoma City Thunder and the Golden State Warriors and Clippers would have been affected.

“I reached out to other players around the league and made it clear the players were ready to boycott the games if this type of action was not something that Adam Silver felt was necessary,” Mason said. “I’m happy to come here today and say that, as players, we’re very happy with the decision, but we’re not content yet. We want immediate action. We want a timetable from the owners as far as when this vote is going to happen. We feel confident that with Adam Silver’s urging and obviously we’ve heard from a lot of the owners around the league, we think this is something that can be handled quickly.”

Over the weekend, players had been buoyed by strong comments from several of their leaders, past and present: Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan (also an owner), LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. The Clippers protested before Game 4 Sunday afternoon, removing their shooting shirts with the big Clippers logo and leaving them at midcourt. Instead, they wore inside-out shirts with the smallest of logos on their warmup pants. During the game, they wore black armbands. On Monday, players in two playoff games wore black socks in a gesture of solidarity. No doubt that got the owners’ attention.

“We were prepared in the event that this decision [to ban and remove Sterling] didn’t come down to move forward that way. We didn’t think this was just a Clippers issue, so we didn’t want to put the pressure on Chris Paul and Blake Griffin and that team. We wanted to band behind our brothers to do the right thing and that would have been to communicate with the other teams in our league and let them know what we were going to do.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Interesting. Still don't think the league's reputation would have been irreparably harmed, though. There are so many other ways to act in unison to condemn the guy and put pressure on him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Doesn't the NFL do that all the time? Pays players not to play. I've seen players dismissed from teams before.
The last time a team got away with that was when the Bucs sent Keyshawn Johnson home for the rest of the year, in 2003. There is now an upper limit to how many games a player can be suspended by the team. It came up when the Eagles suspended T.O. in 2005.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Get real folks. Questioning a legal due process does not equate to supporting racism. If you can make that leap then I can only question that logic as knee jerk. I have questions as well about whether Silver's actions can be challenged from a legal standpoint so does that make me a racist? The very heart of the judicial system is predicated on presenting legal points of view.
How about this. Some folks on the board support the legalization of marijuana. Does that mean they support the Mexican drug cartel?

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Get real folks. Questioning a legal due process does not equate to supporting racism. If you can make that leap then I can only question that logic as knee jerk. I have questions as well about whether Silver's actions can be challenged from a legal standpoint so does that make me a racist? The very heart of the judicial system is predicated on presenting legal points of view.
How about this. Some folks on the board support the legalization of marijuana. Does that mean they support the Mexican drug cartel?
Nobody is calling you or Schmitty a racist. I hope it does go through a legal process so there is a resolution everyone is comfortable with.

D

Deuce

Nobody is calling you or Schmitty a racist. I hope it does go through a legal process so there is a resolution everyone is comfortable with.
That won't happen. Silver acted quickly which made me think he did what was in his power. If he overstepped those bounds, there's going to be a lot of angry people who feel cheated from justice just because they were teased with such huge penalties to begin with.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That won't happen. Silver acted quickly which made me think he did what was in his power. If he overstepped those bounds, there's going to be a lot of angry people who feel cheated from justice just because they were teased with such huge penalties to begin with.
I was listening to Lester Munson and he said that there is basically no due process in the NBA constitution...so they didn't do anything out of line per the parameters that owners agreed to when they bought an NBA franchise.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was listening to Lester Munson and he said that there is basically no due process in the NBA constitution...so they didn't do anything out of line per the parameters that owners agreed to when they bought an NBA franchise.
That has been my point all along. They did what was within their contractual and NBA constitutional rights. And, if they vote him out, they will still be well within their rights.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
ESPN is reporting that the Clippers are worth around 650-700 million dollars. What happens if the best offer that comes in for the Clippers is 250 million. Is he forced to take it?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Cuban tweeted his full support. Apparently he changed his mind...you can too.
Cuban also said this:

"But regardless of your background, regardless of the history they have, if we're taking something somebody said in their home and we're trying to turn it into something that leads to you being forced to divest property in any way, shape or form, that's not the United States of America. I don't want to be part of that."

Carp

DCC 4Life
ESPN is reporting that the Clippers are worth around 650-700 million dollars. What happens if the best offer that comes in for the Clippers is 250 million. Is he forced to take it?
No idea...if the Board of Governors vote him out I am sure he and the league will have a timetable to change ownership. Let's not act like he won't get a fair price...this is a highly popular team that plays in LA....in the Staples Center...he'll get plenty of bids.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That has been my point all along. They did what was within their contractual and NBA constitutional rights. And, if they vote him out, they will still be well within their rights.
Those contracts were written by the NBA and now the NBA is saying they are enforceable. The league is going to say they have the power to do what they did? What a shock!

You know, the NFL once said it had the power to fine Jerry Jones for stepping out of line and signing a marketing contract with Pepsi when the league had an agreement with Coke. The Commissioner said they had the power and all the league's multitude of attorneys backed the Commissioner up.

Until a Judge told them they were wrong.

That's my point, the NBA "Constitution" can say whatever it wants. There will be litigation over that Constitution now. The NBA Constitution does not trump other US law, necesssarily. We don't know if it will hold up, until it's been tested.

I don't think it's gonna hold up.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cuban also said this:

"But regardless of your background, regardless of the history they have, if we're taking something somebody said in their home and we're trying to turn it into something that leads to you being forced to divest property in any way, shape or form, that's not the United States of America. I don't want to be part of that."
Right...he did say that, then he Tweeted he fully supported Silver's decision. He'll have his chance to vote against them forcing a sale. Besides, this has nothing to do about America and everything to do with the NBA constitution.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I bet Sterling just walks away, so this will all be moot.

Again, props to Adam Silver...great move IMO. Now he just has to finish.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cuban also said this:

And regardless of whether Cuban "changed his mind" (as if he can't see the writing on the wall and wants to curry favor with his own players), that statement is the truth.

I have a very hard time believing the NBA is going to be successful at this.

Like I said, it's going to be litigated for years and it will end with a settlement.

Cotton

Staff member
Those contracts were written by the NBA and now the NBA is saying they are enforceable. The league is going to say they have the power to do what they did? What a shock!

You know, the NFL once said it had the power to fine Jerry Jones for stepping out of line and signing a marketing contract with Pepsi when the league had an agreement with Coke. The Commissioner said they had the power and all the league's multitude of attorneys backed the Commissioner up.

Until a Judge told them they were wrong.

That's my point, the NBA "Constitution" can say whatever it wants. There will be litigation over that Constitution now. The NBA Constitution does not trump other US law, necesssarily. We don't know if it will hold up, until it's been tested.

I don't think it's gonna hold up.
And, like I said before, if the forced sell of the team doesn't hold up they will just kick the organization out of the league.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No idea...if the Board of Governors vote him out I am sure he and the league will have a timetable to change ownership. Let's not act like he won't get a fair price...this is a highly popular team that plays in LA....in the Staples Center...he'll get plenty of bids.
I'm not acting like anything. Just asking if the best offer is below fair market value if he'd be forced to take it.

Cotton

Staff member
I bet Sterling just walks away, so this will all be moot.

Again, props to Adam Silver...great move IMO. Now he just has to finish.
This would be my guess as well. Sterling already openly admitted it was him on the recording, so he has admitted his guilt and my guess is he will just walk off.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm not acting like anything. Just asking if the best offer is below fair market value if he'd be forced to take it.
No idea. That'll be left to the league and Sterling's team.

Top Bottom