Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And, like I said before, if the forced sell of the team doesn't hold up they will just kick the organization out of the league.
And I think that is actually the right way to do it.

Though then you are left with the issue of, Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are under contract with the Clippers, not the the NBA, and if Donald Sterling wants to be a real jerk, he can try to prevent them from playing for other teams in the NBA. He could try to get an injunction to order them to stop playing, or at the very least, he could come after them for millions of dollars in damages and sue the league as well for inducing Paul and Griffin to violate their contracts with him.

Down the line, might a judge decide that those contracts are void? Maybe. But that would be a new decision, there is not precedent to be able to predict that at this point. He could certainly be a fly in the ointment for a very, very long time, and that would be the equivalent of really throwing Paul and Griffin and all the Clippers' players under the bus, on the NBA's part.

They have to tread lightly. It's not open and shut "the league can do whatever it wants to Sterling."

D

Deuce

And, like I said before, if the forced sell of the team doesn't hold up they will just kick the organization out of the league.
It's stupid to keep saying this because that will never, ever happen.

D

Deuce

You're stupid.
At times, yes. But I'm not stupid enough to believe the NBA will contract a franchise because the owner made some racist comments. And they certainly won't do it to one that's the best team in a top 2 market.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
At times, yes. But I'm not stupid enough to believe the NBA will contract a franchise because the owner made some racist comments. And they certainly won't do it to one that's the best team in a top 2 market.
So, you think if they vote to force him to sell the team and he says no they will just go "Okay, you win, nevermind"?

D

Deuce

So, you think if they vote to force him to sell the team and he says no they will just go "Okay, you win, nevermind"?
I think if they decide that but can't legally force him to, they will make life extremely difficult for him and his team til he does. The league took control of Charlotte/New Orleans to assist in selling the team so I assume that will be the end game should he not be compliant. Either way, the league won't drop them. Good team, great market, and they don't want to drop down to an odd number of teams per division/conference again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Though then you are left with the issue of, Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are under contract with the Clippers, not the the NBA, and if Donald Sterling wants to be a real jerk, he can try to prevent them from playing for other teams in the NBA. He could try to get an injunction to order them to stop playing, or at the very least, he could come after them for millions of dollars in damages and sue the league as well for inducing Paul and Griffin to violate their contracts with him.

Down the line, might a judge decide that those contracts are void? Maybe. But that would be a new decision, there is not precedent to be able to predict that at this point. He could certainly be a fly in the ointment for a very, very long time, and that would be the equivalent of really throwing Paul and Griffin and all the Clippers' players under the bus, on the NBA's part.

They have to tread lightly. It's not open and shut "the league can do whatever it wants to Sterling."
Yep. It will be U.S. law administered through the judicial system that adjudicate s the final say so not the NBA constitution. My sense tells me that Sterling overstepped his boundaries when he ordered Sterling to divest himself of the team. I think Silver can administer punishments that are in the bylaws such as the fines but I am not sure the league can seize control of property and that is essentially what they did in the order to divest the team.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
'

He'd have to spend how much of his personal money to pay their salaries to do that? I think that's a pretty wild fantasy.

Cotton

Staff member
Vivek Ranadive expects 29-0 vote
Updated: April 30, 2014, 2:05 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive anticipates that his fellow NBA owners will vote unanimously to force Donald Sterling to sell the Los Angeles Clippers.

Commissioner Adam Silver wants Sterling to sell the franchise as part of the extremely stiff sanctions brought against the NBA's longest-tenured owner in response to racist comments the league determined he made in a recorded conversation.

Ranadive, who emphatically supported Silver's ruling Tuesday, reiterated his stance Wednesday morning on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike."

"I would be surprised if this was not a unanimous vote," Ranadive said during the interview. "The owners are amazing people -- they're color-blind -- and I fully expect a unanimous vote."

Silver banned Sterling for life, fined him $2.5 million and said he will press the other teams to support his desire to make Sterling sell.

"I fully expect to get the support I need from the other NBA owners to remove him,'' Silver said.

The NBA owners' advisory and finance committee will hold a meeting Thursday to discuss the next steps Sterling's removal.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor chairs the committee, which also includes Miami's Micky Arison, the Lakers' Jeanie Buss, Oklahoma City's Clay Bennett, New York's James Dolan, Boston's Wyc Grousbeck, San Antonio's Peter Holt, Phoenix's Robert Sarver, Indiana's Herb Simon, and Toronto's Larry Tanenbaum.

"There's still a process that the NBA has to go through," Ranadive said Wednesday. "I expect that they'll have a sub-committee that examines this issue and takes it to the entire board.

"The commissioner has shown that he can act quickly, so I expect him to continue acting quickly."

For Sterling to be forced to sell, 75 percent of the teams would have to vote in favor of such a move. That means if 29 teams vote, Silver would have to get 22 yes votes. If all 30 clubs have a vote, the number needed for passage rises to 23.

While only a handful of teams indicated publicly Tuesday that they would follow Silver's recommendation, a source close to the situation told Stein that the vote is expected to be 29-0 against Sterling.

As teams and owners issued statements or tweets after Silver's news conference Tuesday, most chose to say they supported the commissioner's ruling without addressing a potential vote. The Associated Press contacted 24 teams on the specific question of whether Sterling should be forced to sell, and 16 ownership groups said yes, while another eight declined to reveal their stance.

Ranadive, a native of India, said he was shocked and outraged by Sterling's comments, which were revealed over the weekend as part of an audio recording.

In the taped conversation with his girlfriend, Sterling specifically objected to photos that the woman posted of herself with Hall of Famer Magic Johnson.

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to?" Sterling asks the woman on the tape.

"I have had overwhelming support for this position," Ranadive said. "People were outraged by these comments. This is really a global game -- you have people from all parts of the world, all skin colors, all religions. The only thing we care about is if you have game.

"So these comments were insulting to everyone. One of my favorite quotes is from Ghandi, and he liked to say that, 'If you slight one person, you slight the whole world.' I feel that the whole world was slighted."

Ranadive said Tuesday in a phone interview with ESPN.com that he thought Silver's discipline against Sterling "sent a very clear, unequivocal and decisive message that we will have zero tolerance" for racist behavior in the NBA.

Ranadive also conducted an interview Wednesday with ABC's "Good Morning America," saying he would urge Sterling to "do the right thing" by selling the Clippers.

"What I would say to Mr. Sterling is, 'Mr. Sterling, do the right thing now,'" he said. "'Apologize to Magic Johnson. Apologize to the NBA, the fans, the black community, the world at large. And respect the wishes of the NBA -- put the team up for sale. Take some of the profits and donate them to a good cause.'"

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
So, I'm waiting to see what Silver does when one of the NBA players drops the N word during a lunch get together, or at another players house party.

Does that player get banned for life?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So, I'm waiting to see what Silver does when one of the NBA players drops the N word during a lunch get together, or at another players house party.

Does that player get banned for life?
I'm guessing probably not.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I seem to remember a time when this entire board left because an owner said some racially insensitive remarks. That same person was an asshole like Sterling was...and was basically forced out. Everyone felt pretty good about that, but now some have bleeding hearts for Sterling. Good times.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I see a key difference in that EZ actually gave up his own ownership, and was willing to walk away himself, in order to get away from the racist as opposed to forcing the racist the give up his share. That was at least principled on the offended party's part.

And that's exactly what I'm saying.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I see a key difference in that EZ actually gave up his own ownership, and was willing to walk away himself, in order to get away from the racist as opposed to forcing the racist the give up his share. That was at least principled on the offended party's part.

And that's exactly what I'm saying.
You were the one sticking around, so your take means jack shit.

Cotton

Staff member
It's being reported now that Sterling has been fighting cancer for a while now. Doesn't change my opinion of him, just figured I would throw that out there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I seem to remember a time when this entire board left because an owner said some racially insensitive remarks. That same person was an asshole like Sterling was...and was basically forced out. Everyone felt pretty good about that, but now some have bleeding hearts for Sterling. Good times.
For clarity, if you are including people who questioned the possibility of the legality of some of the NBAs actions then I will just say this. I don't side with Sterling's views nor do I think questioning the NBA actions defaults me to siding with Sterling.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

I don't see anyone defending Sterling for being racist. I know I'm not.

But the guy is being crucified for things he said in his own home. Its more about that than anything else.

And honestly, if people here want to stick their head in the sand and act like that same conversation doesn't happen in other homes across America every single day then they are not living in the real world.

Does it make it OK? Hell no it doesn't. Racism in any form shouldn't be tolerated.

But when we stop defending the basic freedoms we have, this country is fucked.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't see anyone defending Sterling for being racist. I know I'm not.

But the guy is being crucified for things he said in his own home. Its more about that than anything else.

And honestly, if people here want to stick their head in the sand and act like that same conversation doesn't happen in other homes across America every single day then they are not living in the real world.

Does it make it OK? Hell no it doesn't. Racism in any form shouldn't be tolerated.

But when we stop defending the basic freedoms we have, this country is fucked.
Yea, but you as a successful business owner know this probably better than all of us - people will not want to be publicly associated with you when something of this magnitude becomes public knowledge, regardless of how it came to be known.

So whether it was you or a potential business partner of yours, if word got out in the local news about either party making comments like this, I would imagine that you would hesitate to conduct business with that person/company and vice versa......am I right? Because you don't need the negative reputation hit on your business and neither do they.

Whether it's landscaping, construction, insurance, or something as huge as a professional sporting league, business is business and perception in the business world matters as does public opinion in the uber-politically correct era that we live in. So because of that, I don't really see the point of defending his right to basic freedom. Sucks for him that this side of him was exposed in the manner that it was, but it still warrants removing him from his position as owner of the team.

Top Bottom