2nd Round Pick: Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My priorities were not on the late round guy.

I have watched as much as I can with Schpoonermaker and I just do not see it.
I don't see it either. He is fairly fast for a TE, but can't avoid/break a tackle to save his life.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't see it either. He is fairly fast for a TE, but can't avoid/break a tackle to save his life.
So we should be used to that after Witten and Schultz.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So we should be used to that after Witten and Schultz.
Yeah it's what I love about Ferguson and honestly I didn't realize it when we drafted him. But the guy can break tackles, make people miss and isn't afraid to leap over a dude. Maybe just more experience getting the ball in his hands will help Schoonmaker. The guy really didn't catch that many balls in college. But it's the big difference between what LaPorta does and what Schoonmaker does. LaPorta would make guys miss and gets you some yards after the catch.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
:towel

p1_

DCC 4Life
This seems faster than usual for draftees.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Until I got more into college football ten or so years ago, I never realized how a lot of assistant coaches are only there because they're good recruiters and aren't that good at actually coaching. I'm still surprised sometimes how a player from a big time program can be not that well coached on the fundamentals. but it happens.

===============================
Smith's Michigan teammate and fellow Cowboys rookie Luke Schoonmaker is excited to join an all-Big Ten tight end room that he thinks he can add an extra layer of versatility to.

"I just think as another key component to the tight end room," Schoonmaker said about what he can bring. "We're pretty loaded with guys that can do so many different things. I'll just be in there to do whatever is asked of me.
The early development is already being seen by the Cowboys second-round pick as he's already picked up on some knowledge by being in the building for just under two days.

"Being able to run different schemes, my footwork too, and just the understanding of the full picture," Schoonmaker said about the early conversations. "I'm only going to continue to learn more details. I've only been here two days and I've already learned so much about footwork, hand placement, vision and everything. It's gonna be pretty great.
=================================

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Until I got more into college football ten or so years ago, I never realized how a lot of assistant coaches are only there because they're good recruiters and aren't that good at actually coaching. I'm still surprised sometimes how a player from a big time program can be not that well coached on the fundamentals. but it happens.

===============================
Smith's Michigan teammate and fellow Cowboys rookie Luke Schoonmaker is excited to join an all-Big Ten tight end room that he thinks he can add an extra layer of versatility to.

"I just think as another key component to the tight end room," Schoonmaker said about what he can bring. "We're pretty loaded with guys that can do so many different things. I'll just be in there to do whatever is asked of me.
The early development is already being seen by the Cowboys second-round pick as he's already picked up on some knowledge by being in the building for just under two days.

"Being able to run different schemes, my footwork too, and just the understanding of the full picture," Schoonmaker said about the early conversations. "I'm only going to continue to learn more details. I've only been here two days and I've already learned so much about footwork, hand placement, vision and everything. It's gonna be pretty great.
=================================
Yea I mean there's a reason college coaches rarely translate to the NFL, half their job is managing all the bullshit that comes with recruiting so naturally their technical coaching ability and X's and O's will lag behind NFL coaches who are focused on that 90% of the time.

Lincoln Riley is looked at as some genius innovator but if he stepped foot in the NFL I'm fairly certain it'd look a lot like Spurrier's tenure.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
@booze

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Gehlken doesn't seem like a homer and hasn't been here long enough to be a Todd Archer or Slater Polyanna type, so this is kind of interesting.

For those who can't listen, after the draft he checks around the league with team sources to see what they think of the Cowboys picks, and he heard really good things about Schoon -- that he won't just be a good player, but should contribute early on

I'm getting more and more curious about this guy.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gehlken doesn't seem like a homer and hasn't been here long enough to be a Todd Archer or Slater Polyanna type, so this is kind of interesting.

For those who can't listen, after the draft he checks around the league with team sources to see what they think of the Cowboys picks, and he heard really good things about Schoon -- that he won't just be a good player, but should contribute early on

I'm getting more and more curious about this guy.

Heaven forbid they hit on the guy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Asking for much? How many George Kittles are out there running around? Jeez. :lol
I'm just saying I hope he turns into a top 3 TE in the league, I couldn't care less about being right, it's just not gonna happen. I'd be satisfied if he just turns into another Schultz.

Top Bottom