2nd Round Pick: Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I do think the Witten comparison to Schoon -- just in style, not greatness or overall quality -- makes some sense because even a younger Witten didn't run like a maniac after the catch like a Kittle or even a Kelce of today. Or like a Kincaid did in college.

But that kind of shows that you don't have to run like a RB after the catch to be a great TE. If he could learn to read and set up LBs and safeties like Witten was so great at doing, that would be amazing.

Also, Schoon did admit in that interview above that he was mostly a shorter-range, safety valve kind of TE at Michigan, and thought he could do much more down the field. He just wasn't asked to do that much in college.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, but what you said was "a way more athletic Witten." So Witten, and all that entails, but way more athletic. That's actually a heck of a compliment (although it feels like you meant it in a derogatory way).

I do agree that generally being athletic doesn't mean much on its own.
I didn't mean it as either really. Just that he is a good all around TE. Guy who catches well, blocks well and probably isn't making many guys miss. Stylistically he is similar to Witten.

But will he ever get open as well as Witten did? No idea. Their college stats were similar but that's really just a statement that not all colleges utilize a TE as a real weapon.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am impressed none of you Witten-marks got really offended by Schoonerpooner’s arrogance.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wasn't top 10 for me but my response wasn't a dig at Witten. Just that we have had several years of stationary targets (which Witten was for the last years of his career).

shoop

Semi-contributing member
One of my favorite Cowboys of all time. I'd say top 10 at least, maybe top 5.
Absolutely top 10. I don’t think he cracks top five for me. I never got To see Roger play so I can’t really put him. No order
Troy, Emmit, Irvin, Ware, Dorsett, Woodson.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Schoonmun or BoozeSchoon? Which shall it be? I will abide by the results of this poll.

Top Bottom