2024 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why you try to work out a trade this week and see if Dak will waive the no-trade clause. You roll with Lance and see what he has. If the talent is there, you keep him. If it isn’t, then you draft a QB next year.
I mean absolutely what I would do if I was made their GM today. But it's not at all what they will do.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I disagree. Having our asses handed to us by teams with above .500 records proves that out. He plays like dog shit against teams with winning records, with stats eerily similar to those of playoff teams.

I would say it's more top defenses he struggles against. He's been very good against the eagles, lions, and other playoff caliber teams. It hasn't been across the board.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That's been our calling since Aikman has left. I was happy with Gilmore and Cooks but let's not pretend like they went all in during the offseason. They flipped a couple late picks for cheap players.
I think you can make an argument that last year was "all in" if we're grading on the Jerry/Stephen curve.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I would say it's more top defenses he struggles against. He's been very good against the eagles, lions, and other playoff caliber teams. It hasn't been across the board.
Yeah, he has a lot of moments where he plays like one of the top 7 or 8 QBs in the game. The problem is when the playoffs roll around his level of play drops off the cliff.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
His contract literally is up after this season. He won't even get a chance before he is free to leave in free agency. What sense is that?
They will play him a lot during preseason, hoping he does well, then trade him to a QB needy team before trade deadline. Maybe they'll get a 3 if everything goes perfect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They will play him a lot during preseason, hoping he does well, then trade him to a QB needy team before trade deadline. Maybe they'll get a 3 if everything goes perfect.
They won't. When is the last time the Cowboys traded away a player for a draft pick that was higher than a fifth? Walker? Walsh?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, he has a lot of moments where he plays like one of the top 7 or 8 QBs in the game. The problem is when the playoffs roll around his level of play drops off the cliff.
I have been saying that many times about him in the past but was rebuffed each time. It has been so obvious I can’t understand why others cannot see it.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
This is why you try to work out a trade this week and see if Dak will waive the no-trade clause. You roll with Lance and see what he has. If the talent is there, you keep him. If it isn’t, then you draft a QB next year.
What?? Why in God's name would he waive the no-trade clause? This week? Oh, yeah. That happens all the time.

The no-trade clause is his leverage. He's got the Clampett's by the balls. Pay me this year, assholes, no matter what our record is, and then watch me play the free-agent game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What?? Why in God's name would he waive the no-trade clause? This week? Oh, yeah. That happens all the time.

The no-trade clause is his leverage. He's got the Clampett's by the balls. Pay me this year, assholes, no matter what our record is, and then watch me play the free-agent game.
Because someone else is willing to give him a new deal at 60 mil? Right now, not a bag of magic beans that might grow next year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Players drop the no trade clause frequently. It just keeps teams from trading them to a bad situation like Arizona for example.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
And now time for a sad flashback to the 2016 draft when the Cowboys spent a top 4 pick on a RB.

If that wasn't sad enough, that RB didn't even turn out to be best in class.

And if THAT wasn't sad enough, they caved after 2 years and gave said RB a new huge contract.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Because someone else is willing to give him a new deal at 60 mil? Right now, not a bag of magic beans that might grow next year.

The lack of moves in FA is bound to depreciate his value between now and the beginning of the next league year. He might be more inclined to drop it in light of that.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

Because having a down year massively depreciates his value. Waiving the clause would allow him to get a massive extension in that $60M a year range that he wants, where if he struggles this year, he gives the Clampett’s a lot of leverage back because they can then justify refusing to pay him.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
I'm not sure which would be worse. Losing Dak for a third round pick and having no plan to rebuild or keeping Dak and having no ability or idea how to build around him. Feels like damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Losing Dak to FA with nothing in return would be the worst possible scenario. Ironically he is our #1 asset for trade value. Sadly Jones blew it when he allowed Dak to sign a no trade clause. Dak is running circles around Jerry thus far. And Jerry has done little to nothing to bring in competition or leverage with Dak.

You either have to trade Dak and get him to agree to it THIS year or you have to bite the bullet, give him big money for another two or 3 years only if he agrees to keep out the no trade clause. Under that scenario you can then trade him at any time during the next 3 years.

I see Jerry bumbling it all again with Dak.

Top Bottom