2024 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Feh.

The guy couldn't even dodge Robbie Gould in the open field. If the guy does that, things might have been different in SF in 2022.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was told once that when a person looks up in a conversation, he is trying to remember something. When he looks down he is making something up.

Stephen is looking down here, so....
I was always told if you don't look a man in the face, you're up to something. Most likely lying.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Dak walks we'll have about 80 in cap space and will probably have a rookie or something close to it starting in 2025, even with the dead money we'd probably be top 5-10 in the league in cap space.

The problem is we all know they won't actually do anything with it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We're about to find out who the real Micah Parsons is this season. I believe a lot of those late season disappearing acts are due to the Cowboys mismanaging him.

If Zimmer reduces his snaps as a DL/pass rusher, I think Parsons will be in a better position to be an impact player in those late season games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We're about to find out who the real Micah Parsons is this season. I believe a lot of those late season disappearing acts are due to the Cowboys mismanaging him.

If Zimmer reduces his snaps as a DL/pass rusher, I think Parsons will be in a better position to be an impact player in those late season games.
I think he also has been dog tired and beaten up.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I've asked about this before. We're not fully paid up on him if we let him play out his contract this year?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think he also has been dog tired and beaten up.
He doesn't really have the ideal height, weight or length needed to be a full-time edge rusher. His length in particular is especially marginal.

As the year goes on he definitely gets worn down and I think you can scheme around him to some extent given those limitations if you know where he's lining up. Combine that with the fact that our defense under Quinn seemingly played the pass, first, second and third, and the run fourth, and there are circumstances where you can easily take Parsons out of the game.

I don't have an issue with playing him as a pure edge rusher maybe 50-60% of the time, but he needs to be moved around more than he was last year. I think Quinn knew it to some extent but just got seduced by his skill as an edge rusher and ended up leaving him out there more than he should have.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've asked about this before. We're not fully paid up on him if we let him play out his contract this year?

These numbers frighten and confuse me, so I don't bother.

I do think there is a distinct flavor that is being brewed and it is not looking good.

A Prescott 10 win season gets him a fat contract elsewhere and we might get a third.

If that is the strategy, let me just call it risky.

All I know is that this a weird dynamic that will be in place for this season.

It seems that the "stars" are going to be considered "stars" and be expected to produce.

I am not certain how that will all work out though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He doesn't really have the ideal height, weight or length needed to be a full-time edge rusher. His length in particular is especially marginal.

As the year goes on he definitely gets worn down and I think you can scheme around him to some extent given those limitations if you know where he's lining up. Combine that with the fact that our defense under Quinn seemingly played the pass, first, second and third, and the run fourth, and there are circumstances where you can easily take Parsons out of the game.

I don't have an issue with playing him as a pure edge rusher maybe 50-60% of the time, but he needs to be moved around more than he was last year. I think Quinn knew it to some extent but just got seduced by his skill as an edge rusher and ended up leaving him out there more than he should have.
I really don't know what Zimmer will do with him. But I do think Quinn over-indexed him. And it worked early in seasons.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

No we're not fully paid up because of the dummy years on the end of his current contract.

The funny thing is I think both Shefter and Mosher are wrong.

Shefter said Dak would have $95 million left on the deal that they'd have to spread out. That's very wrong.

Mosher says it's 40 million (I believe Mosher is referring to the 2025 cap hit, but Shefter appears to be referring to total cap dollars unaccounted for, which is a different thing). I believe Mosher's wrong also.

According to over the cap they are on the hook for $40 million in 2025, $14 m in 26, $2 m in 27, and 1 million in 2028. So about $57 million spread out.

Still not great, but assuming a rookie or cheap QB in 2025 and beyond, manageable for one year and then negligible after that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
More interesting than the mystery coach's comments on Micah was the part about Belichick and the Cowboys' entire country club mentality.

I think a lot of Micah's issue is just that when we're ahead other teams are passing and that's obviously when he does his damage. We all know he's not a great run player at his size.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
"He's out there and he's more valuable than anybody else," Jones said on Tuesday. "But that valuable, to have to give up four or five players to have him, you have to get that reconciled. That's what I'm trying to say. It's a lot quicker and easier said than done."
Once the deal is done, the usage comes into play to get the value out of the deal. Coming off a season where Lamb set franchise records for receptions (135) and receiving yards (1,749), that usage is undeniable at the negotiation table.
"Whoever has CeeDee, and I hope it's us, they're going to use him," Jones said. "You have to. You just have to get that kind of mileage out of him. What has he shown us? That he's capable of carrying that load. We've gotta have focus."

Sounds like a fire sale.

Top Bottom