2024 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mother****er!

And even worse he's a Packer now. Our poor excuse for a RB room is going to insanely pale next to theirs
That is okay. They will end up cutting Dillon, who if you remember was a free agent target they thought could get for $2M precious dollars. Now they just have to wait. It is genius but you just don’t understand.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess they didn't like him enough over a "special Teamer who really tries hard"

As well as we did in this draft, it can never be a clean win. I am highly skeptical of Liufau.
I mean I think the team views him as their future starting MLBer a year from now. He does have some fun qualities. But I think he was more of a 4th/fifth round guy as opposed to a third.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is okay. They will end up cutting Dillon, who if you remember was a free agent target they thought could get for $2M precious dollars. Now they just have to wait. It is genius but you just don’t understand.
That 2 mil has now been spent on Zeke.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So their problem is that they rated Liafau over the running backs available at 87.
Yeah, he shouldn't have had a third round grade. I actually like the player but not that much. I hope I'm wrong and he is a great middle linebacker. A year from now if he is starting in the middle at a good level it could be the media and fans didn't know his real value. I'm all for trusting your board. But you also have to rank RBs correctly. I don't know that we did if Lloyd and Wright didn't at least have similar grades.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Yeah, he shouldn't have had a third round grade. I actually like the player but not that much. I hope I'm wrong and he is a great middle linebacker. A year from now if he is starting in the middle at a good level it could be the media and fans didn't know his real value. I'm all for trusting your board. But you also have to rank RBs correctly. I don't know that we did if Lloyd and Wright didn't at least have similar grades.
Our resident Domer experts can weigh in, but as I understand it, he was routinely featured in A-gap blitzes, which is a Zimmer calling card.

This pick is all Zimmer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Our resident Domer experts can weigh in, but as I understand it, he was routinely featured in A-gap blitzes, which is a Zimmer calling card.

This pick is all Zimmer.
He wanted a mini-Kendricks. This was Zimmer’s bone and when our defense is replaced next year when he is gone we are stuck with this guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I call bullshit on that anyway.

They earmark slots for things. We know this for a fact.

They had to let Zimmer have his pick at some point. Everyone gets a turn.
A turn at a slightly flawed board.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is why we need a strong independent GM.

McClay isn't a trainwreck. We could be worse off than him. But it's exceedingly hard to build a Super Bowl team. McClay lets everyone have their pet cats and and he pidgeonholes resources for needs. That's no way to build a team. You can't be drafting a need LB or need special teamer over taking the BPAs and it is truly hard to believe they simply felt Marist Liafau was the BPA there.

This is why "filling out the team," ends up being a horrible draft strategy, because you are making a four year or longer decision on the basis of what is needed next year only.

Free agency should be need filler. If Zimmer needed another special teams and depth linebacker for next year they should have signed one.

And if Dak Prescott's contract is preventing them from doing that, guess what, he's not good enough, take a fucking hike you albatross.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This pick is all Zimmer.
From what I saw they had the dude doing all kinds of stuff. They had him line up as a pass rusher at times, they had him line up as a corner on a freaking play I saw. And then he was obviously their LBer as well in their scheme. I think they run a base nickel defense from what I saw. For reference this is a pretty honest take on the guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I doubt it, they specifically said that Liafu was a Zimmer/Guenther guy, I think someone even said specifically that Guenther "found him".

Kneeland fits what Zimmer wants, but the way McClay kept referring to the Lawrence similarities it tells me he wasn't a coach's pet type.
Kneeland was the Lawrence replacement. The Greggy Weggy Special.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt it, they specifically said that Liafu was a Zimmer/Guenther guy, I think someone even said specifically that Guenther "found him".

Kneeland fits what Zimmer wants, but the way McClay kept referring to the Lawrence similarities it tells me he wasn't a coach's pet type.
I think Kneeland was just the best player available. I don't think they expected for him to be available then. This draft felt less earmarked than ones in the past. I could be wrong but the way we were looking at players, if this thing was earmarked it sure feels like a RB would have been taken. And a LBer would have been taken sooner than the late third. I think they took Beebe when they did probably because they had a second round grade on him and were thrilled he was available in the third.

I doubt the team looked at RB's as hard as the did with no intention to take one. I just honestly think Jerry and Stephen didn't put the priority on it on draft day. And ultimately McClay might build the board, he might even fight for a certain player, but Jerry and Stephen are the ones deciding based on that board who they will take or if they will trade picks.

Last years draft was the opposite. They certainly had positions they wanted in certain rounds. And honestly you see how that turned out.

Top Bottom