2024 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yates latest. Trade down with the Niners. Netting us a third.

31. Dallas Cowboys (via mock trade with SF)
Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona

The Cowboys figure to be locked in on a tackle following Tyron Smith's departure in free agency, especially if they intend to keep Tyler Smith at left guard. No other team has been more passive in free agency, but after the trade back, the Cowboys can fill holes and build depth through the draft. Morgan can be a starting left tackle, but he also can kick inside to left guard if Dallas ultimately prefers to move Tyler Smith to tackle full time. Morgan would make it eight offensive tackles in Round 1, which would tie the 2008 common draft era record (since 1967), per ESPN Stats & Information.
I mean I like the idea of trading down and adding a third round pick. I go back and fourth on Morgan. I think his lack of arm length shows. But I like him better at LT than LG. He has the feet for LT. I don't think he has the power for LG. I like interior guys to be powerful. I don't think Morgan is that powerful. Sure I think he would do really well on the pulling and second level stuff but in terms of driving a 340 pound DT out of the inside, I don't think he has it.

At LT I think he can stay with anyone. I just worry that a longer armed defender could give him trouble. It's not just his lack of arm length, it's that he doesn't extend what arm length he does have. To me he is kind of a lower upside but lower downside Oline prospect.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean I like the idea of trading down and adding a third round pick. I go back and fourth on Morgan. I think his lack of arm length shows. But I like him better at LT than LG. He has the feet for LT. I don't think he has the power for LG. I like interior guys to be powerful. I don't think Morgan is that powerful. Sure I think he would do really well on the pulling and second level stuff but in terms of driving a 340 pound DT out of the inside, I don't think he has it.

At LT I think he can stay with anyone. I just worry that a longer armed defender could give him trouble. It's not just his lack of arm length, it's that he doesn't extend what arm length he does have. To me he is kind of a lower upside but lower downside Oline prospect.
I think his lack of length is what makes it look like he has questionable power at LT, because defenders have so much more time and space before first contact. On the interior that would be mitigated, so I think I'd rather have him at LG, although I see the theoretical argument for LT.

I'm not really that enthused about taking him in the first either way, I could somewhat get onboard if it's after a trade down like that, but I think there's a number of guys I'd rather take ahead of him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

There are times I love him and then other times, not so much.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What's not to like? I'm guessing inconsistency, bad hands, etc?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He is fun to watch on some plays. Big receiver, physical, hard to bring down and really fast long speed. The guy could be dynamic as a kick returner/Punt returner/WR. Probably play special teams if you need him to.

The down side is he really has one year of production at WR and is still raw as a route runner. Slants, goes, things like that he will be great for right away. But he is going to need work to become a nuanced route runner if you want him to sort of go to that next level.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know nothing about his character or hands, but I see he's 220+ and runs a sub-4.4 with a 40 inch vertical and think that's exactly what we need. We don't have anyone with a big body like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know nothing about his character or hands, but I see he's 220+ and runs a sub-4.4 with a 40 inch vertical and think that's exactly what we need. We don't have anyone with a big body like that.
He is great at contested catches, fights for the ball. I'm not worried about his hands. Any issues with hands are probably more like Dez, in that sometimes you may get concentration drops. Hell happens with Lamb too.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He is great at contested catches, fights for the ball. I'm not worried about his hands. Any issues with hands are probably more like Dez, in that sometimes you may get concentration drops. Hell happens with Lamb too.
So the only negative is inexperience? Sign me up.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, in the first that would worry me. But I don't think he makes it to the third. Probably a second round pick.
I'm thinking high second then. I get a little AJ Brown vibe from him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking high second then. I get a little AJ Brown vibe from him.
That's sort of what I think. Of course this WR class is just jam packed. I wouldn't be shocked if there is a guy in the third available who I look at and go "how the hell is that guy still available" but it's also possible that a team may prefer one type of receiver over another. Especially when you get into the McConkey types. I could see that dude going as high as the late first. But I could see him dropping to the early third. It's just going to depend on if a team wants the route runner, the speed demon, the dude who is big and physical.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's sort of what I think. Of course this WR class is just jam packed. I wouldn't be shocked if there is a guy in the third available who I look at and go "how the hell is that guy still available" but it's also possible that a team may prefer one type of receiver over another. Especially when you get into the McConkey types.
I can't comprehend taking McConkey over this guy. Yes, McConkey could be better at some things the first day of camp, but he's 186 lbs! Legette is 35 lbs heavier and ran the same 40 and had a better vertical. '

Yes, there's more to football than just weight and speed, etc.. but give me the big fast physical guy every time.

Top Bottom