2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not buying the LT FA talk, but FWIW, the tackles that have been mentioned are:

Mekhi Becton - Jets
Jonah Williams - Bengals
Michael Onwenu - Patriots
Becton is a nightmare. Williams thinks he is a left tackle. Onwenu is far more versatile.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Right now he definitely is trash. I think most rookies at least deserve a year to get their feet under them. But Mazi was beyond disappointing. Not just like, oh hey, he wasn't great. He was just totally useless. I struggle with that one because he seems like such a slam dunk to at least be able to hold the point of attack. But he couldn't do that. He was off balance far too much.
I don't think DQ was a "teacher" but rather a "schemer", which is why a lot of our young guys excelled b/c of their talent and athleticism, but were often exposed as a result of their lack of sound technique. I think they more or less threw Mazi into the deep end and figured he would swim just based on his physical abilities...

hopefully Zimmer will correct this.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think they more or less threw Mazi into the deep end and figured he would swim just based on his physical abilities...
I do not buy that at all. He had limited snaps. That means (I hope for a "schemer") Quinn had packages for him.

The guy might have made anything positive on perhaps 30% of those limited snaps.

That is not the definition of throwing someone off the deep end.

This is a player problem. Not a coaching problem.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I do not buy that at all. He had limited snaps. That means (I hope for a "schemer") Quinn had packages for him.

The guy might have made anything positive on perhaps 30% of those limited snaps.

That is not the definition of throwing someone off the deep end.

This is a player problem. Not a coaching problem.
All DT's (except Osa) averaged 30% of the snaps... and what I meant by "deep end of the pool" was the NFL as a whole. He had the measurables, but he was unprepared to play at this level, but we knew this when he was drafted. Is it not the coach's responsibility to make sure a player is ready?

What if he's not (or you're not sure), why play him? (Other than to gain "on the job training"). If he does struggle, do accept it with a grain of salt and allow him to continue?

IMO, after one year, it's a coach problem, if after 2-3 years, then, yeah, it's a player problem.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
We all watched most the games I'm guessing. Mazi fucking sucked balls. Nothing redeemable or giving the slightest bit of hope for his future. Along with the mysterious weight loss, I'm betting he's out of the league in about 4 or 5 years. And he'll only hold on that long due to draft pedigree.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Someone more familiar with the rest of the league tell me a first round DT that has been as bad in the last decade.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All DT's (except Osa) averaged 30% of the snaps... and what I meant by "deep end of the pool" was the NFL as a whole. He had the measurables, but he was unprepared to play at this level, but we knew this when he was drafted. Is it not the coach's responsibility to make sure a player is ready?

What if he's not (or you're not sure), why play him? (Other than to gain "on the job training"). If he does struggle, do accept it with a grain of salt and allow him to continue?

IMO, after one year, it's a coach problem, if after 2-3 years, then, yeah, it's a player problem.
You completely missed my point.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah, if you're going to sign something you sign a guard. Much cheaper and easier to find. You found a legit LT who is on a rookie deal in the first round. Why would you go sign a shitty LT in free agency? Would make zero sense.
Zero sense is playing Chuma there and they did that. Im still not convinced that they are going to move Tyler.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Henry is 30 yrs old, and probably wants one last pay day. If he'd come in at a reasonable price, I'd consider it. But I doubt he would, so I'd rather take a guy in the 2nd-4th.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Henry is 30 yrs old, and probably wants one last pay day. If he'd come in at a reasonable price, I'd consider it. But I doubt he would, so I'd rather take a guy in the 2nd-4th.
Yeah, am I the only one who thinks he's fallen off too much? He's not what he was a couple of years ago, and I'm afraid he's going to disappoint unless it's a relatively cheap deal.

Yeah, am I the only one who thinks he's fallen off too much? He's not what he was a couple of years ago, and I'm afraid he's going to disappoint unless it's a relatively cheap deal.
Again, with a QB like Will Levis .. don’t ya think the box was stacked ??? I’m sure that is a key contributor to this years slip up . FYI the whole team sucked hence why Vrabrel is on the unemployment line .

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Mazi is trash too. At least Wright tries, I guess.

Still can't believe no reporter, media guy, etc. has told us the real story with Mazi. We aren't the only ones who wonder - people around the team know and talk. They just don't want to tell us, probably because the news is so bad.
But Mazi can jump up big stairs or some shit like that in a single bound!!! WTFE…while this FO has done better in recent drafts, they still have a big problem of really fucking up genuine need picks that put us further and further behind the 8 ball.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I want nothing to do with Henry. I didn’t realize he was 30 years old.
We can find what we need in the draft most likely. But if they go the FA route there are a ton that are a better choice than Henry.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I wonder what the market will be for him though. He might want to break the bank, but what team would do it given his age and the position in general?

Top Bottom