2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be an attractive option depending on how much dead money we have moving forward. Otherwise, I let him play out his deal at 59 mill this year and let him walk. Assuming we can't trade him.
Why use him for one more year at a substantial salary? Why not save the money?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah I thought the only real viable option was to make him a June 1 cut and spread the cap hit.

I mean, it doesn't matter anyway because Jerry is going to pay him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought we were on the hook for it no matter what.
No, not really. That's why they can save this money by converting his 29 mil base salary into a bonus.

Now cutting Dak for example doesn't save us cap room in 2024. But it saves us a ton in 2025. You let Dak ride out his deal and while not on our roster in 2025 he still counts 36 mil on our cap. You press reset in 2024 by trading or releasing him and he is off the books in 2025.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
No, not really. That's why they can save this money by converting his 29 mil base salary into a bonus.

Now cutting Dak for example doesn't save us cap room in 2024. But it saves us a ton in 2025. You let Dak ride out his deal and while not on our roster in 2025 he still counts 36 mil on our cap. You press reset in 2024 by trading or releasing him and he is off the books in 2025.

Ah OK. Thank you.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If I had to guess they'll probably extend Dak and then restructure Diggs and maybe Martin to push money into the future, which would give us somewhere around 40-50 million in cap space.

What will they do with it?

Probably dick and shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had to guess they'll probably extend Dak and then restructure Diggs and maybe Martin to push money into the future, which would give us somewhere around 40-50 million in cap space.

What will they do with it?

Probably dick and shit.
We always seem to have a bunch of cap space at the end of the offseason but we never really seem to carry any over. Is it because of incentives or something?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We always seem to have a bunch of cap space at the end of the offseason but we never really seem to carry any over. Is it because of incentives or something?
They seem to carry over about 10 a year or so, that's about how much they did this year and that number sounds about right a few times over the last several years.

They usually seem to have about 15-20 left over after they make their piddly free agency signings, I assume about 10 of that gets eaten up by rookies, incentives/bonuses and other random shit, then they carry over the other 5-10.

On another note, a Lamb extension would probably save about 5-10 against the cap this year too since his cap hit is nearly 18 million, and we all know that's a foregone conclusion so I don't know why these idiots don't just get it over with. The price isn't going down anytime between now and this time next year, we all know they're never going to let him walk, and he doesn't really have anything left to prove in terms of his place as an elite WR in the game, but I'm sure Stephen feels real smart and prudent by sitting on his hands.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
On another note, a Lamb extension would probably save about 5-10 against the cap this year too since his cap hit is nearly 18 million, and we all know that's a foregone conclusion so I don't know why these idiots don't just get it over with.
I think it is a priority this offseason. It's been mentioned before. And even Parsons mentioned it recently. I think it's in the works like Diggs was last year. Daks the one that even though I think they want to get it done, I could see that breaking down. His contract was such a pain in the ass last time. I think it could become the same again.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think it is a priority this offseason. It's been mentioned before. And even Parsons mentioned it recently. I think it's in the works like Diggs was last year.
Yea but my point is that they should do it now and knock his cap hit down so they know exactly what they're working with in free agency.

I'm sure they can plan free agency around the assumption that Lamb's 2024 cap hit will likely be cut in half several months later, but there's literally no point to waiting, just pay the guy and be done with it.

The more years the better, I don't care if they give him 35/year if it's a 6-7 year deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It would also give a QB that wilts under the bright lights 60 mil per year.
It really does not matter. It is what you would pay any QB with his production. We paid Romo decently back in the day. The cap is an illusion that creates idiotic takes when people start acting like it is really their money. I do not give a shit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It really does not matter. It is what you would pay any QB with his production. We paid Romo decently back in the day. The cap is an illusion that creates idiotic takes when people start acting like it is really their money. I do not give a shit.

My only real issue with what they pay is because although I know it doesn't have to hold them back I know that it will.

Top Bottom