2024 Cowboys Draft Chatter thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

This is fascinating to me because they could either use the extra pick to trade up for a QB (presumably McCarthy, although maybe the Patriots would prefer to pass completely on a QB), or they could sit tight at 23 and take Penix or Nix.

It's also interesting because it tells me the price if we wanted to trade up from the back end of the 2nd to maybe the 35-40 range. Depending on the board I'd definitely consider giving up my 2 in 2025 to move up to about 35-38.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

This is fascinating to me because they could either use the extra pick to trade up for a QB (presumably McCarthy, although maybe the Patriots would prefer to pass completely on a QB), or they could sit tight at 23 and take Penix or Nix.

It's also interesting because it tells me the price if we wanted to trade up from the back end of the 2nd to maybe the 35-40 range. Depending on the board I'd definitely consider giving up my 2 in 2025 to move up to about 35-38.

Wait what?

How the frick did they move up from the second to the 1st round by moving down from the sixth to the 7th?

Is Houston stupid or am I missing something?

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target

A 2025 second? Texans got fucking raped.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wait what?

How the frick did they move up from the second to the 1st round by moving down from the sixth to the 7th?

Is Houston stupid or am I missing something?
That tweet is misleading in hindsight, the Texans also get the Vikings 2025 2nd, but still a pretty light price.

If we could get a deal like that when the 36th or so pick is on the clock for our 2025 3rd I'd definitely do it, depending on the board of course.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
could be a high 2nd if they play a rookie qb most of the season
Yeah but about the time you bank on that they somehow limp to a 9-10 win season. It's hard to gamble on the other team stinking. Of course sometimes you hit gold with that, sort of the way the Bears did this year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
or they could sit tight at 23 and take Penix or Nix.
That was my first thought.

Would be funny if both went before they pick. I don't think Nix in particular is worth it, but it just takes one desperate team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean they certainly have interest but just because they wanted to look at the guy up close doesn't mean that he is the guy at 24. I'm sure we will look at a lot of these guys up close. Our O-line coach is probably going to be at a lot of these top prospects workouts. And some of them they will decide aren't worth the pick. Our WR coach will probably be at the top guys workouts. This is normal.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah I bet that's the only OL pro day Solari went to.

Stellar reporting there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He went to Guyton's as well I read.
I bet our Oline coach goes to Duke, Oregon, WV, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oregon State...

Our position coaches do this every year.

Now if Zimmer goes and works out a second/third round caliber player let me know. Those are the pet cats you have to watch out for.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That kid oozes upside. But I think he is a bit off.
The traits are there but I have no idea about the head. But that's often the unknown as fans with the draft. We just don't know much about the person. We only know about the athletic ability and physical talent.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That kid oozes upside. But I think he is a bit off.
Yea him and Mims are very similar although I think Mims is even more talented. I'd just go with the safe bet in Barton but there's no doubt both Guyton and Mims have higher ceilings.

If Mims had played all or even most of last season I think he'd be knocking on the door of the top 10.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea him and Mims are very similar although I think Mims is even more talented. I'd just go with the safe bet in Barton but there's no doubt both Guyton and Mims have higher ceilings.

If Mims had played all or even most of last season I think he'd be knocking on the door of the top 10.
They have higher ceilings only because they play a more premium position. If only we already had used a first round pick on a premium LT who is a premium player...

But in all seriousness Mims is a tough one for me. He is just so freakishly good. But so few starts and partly because of injury... The sample size is just hard. Other than that the guy could be absolutely dominant. Like Mims and Smith next to each other could be a badass run blocking combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom