2024 Cowboys Draft Chatter thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If that's the case they should be pushing really hard to resign Gilmore. You don't need a long term solution, you need a really short term one. Gilmore makes a lot of sense for that.
I think they have given up on the Cowboys signing anybody.

They are definite fans of Gilmore and pushed for signing him earlier but the sitting around has soured them.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Dane Brugler never played football in in HS or college. He has never coached or scouted at any level—college or NFL. He is a self-proclaimed "draft expert." How he got that way is never made clear.

His bio claims that he spends "mind-numbing" hours looking at tape. I guess that makes you a "draft expert" — or, if you say you are a "draft expert" often enough and people start to believe it, like that fraud Mel Kyper.

The whole draft amateur-draft prognosis thing is the blind leading the blind, the best scam ever perpetrated on breathless fan-boy draft nerds.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dane Brugler never played football in in HS or college. He has never coached or scouted at any level—college or NFL. He is a self-proclaimed "draft expert." How he got that way is never made clear.

His bio claims that he spends "mind-numbing" hours looking at tape. I guess that makes you a "draft expert" — or, if you say you are a "draft expert" often enough and people start to believe it, like that fraud Mel Kyper.

The whole draft amateur-draft prognosis thing is the blind leading the blind, the best scam ever perpetrated on breathless fan-boy draft nerds.

I am not going to defend Brugler specifically - I don't follow him or read him at all and don't know the first thing about him. I'm not a particular fan of Kiper either.

But, I think it's silly to suggest that you need to have played the game to understand it or to evaluate talent. It's not rocket science.

In fact, there are instances of media draft guys like Mayock, Riddick, and Jeremiah who did play in college and the pros, and I don't think any of them are any better from what I can tell.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I doubt Kiper lettered in high school either.

And you saw "draft guys" like Mayock, who actually played, fail in epic fashion.

I guess you think you have a point, but you really do not.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The majority of the actual GM's and scouts just got to where they're at because of nepotism, friend of a friend bullshit to begin with.

I once heard a personnel executive from the Cardinals straight up say that he knows plenty of scouts who alter their opinions based on what they hear from guys like Kiper.

It's all kind of a farce honestly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The majority of the actual GM's and scouts just got to where they're at because of nepotism, friend of a friend bullshit to begin with.

I once heard a personnel executive from the Cardinals straight up say that he knows plenty of scouts who alter their opinions based on what they hear from guys like Kiper.

Let’s be honest, scouting is not a rewarding profession unless you are willing to schmooze and get in line.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
ESPN canned Todd McShay and he hasn't been heard from since.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I will say I probably have the most respect for Bruglar when it comes to player evaluations and where they will be picked. I do think he actually puts in a lot of work to find out about players and how teams feel about those players. I enjoy the beast.

Honestly I don't think he would do any worse running a draft than a number of NFL GMs. But this stuff isn't rocket science.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
SBK would come at your throat over this comment. I called him a hack once and damn near got banned.
People got banned over Taylor Hicks, you big baby.

But since you are acting all wounded, you banned a lot more folks in the history of the DCC for disagreeing with you than he ever did.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
you banned a lot more folks in the history of the DCC for disagreeing with you than he ever did.
That is fucking bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom