2024 3rd Round Pick - Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
One thing I will say watching the draft video, Zimmer told him, "You sold me when you were here and told me what everyone on the defense was doing."

Maybe they (Zimmer) think we have a bunch of mistake-prone dipshits on defense and this guy has the intelligence we lack?

Not that it justifies the pick, but I'd bet that's at least a positive he brings.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
One thing I will say watching the draft video, Zimmer told him, "You sold me when you were here and told me what everyone on the defense was doing."

Maybe they (Zimmer) think we have a bunch of mistake-prone dipshits on defense and this guy has the intelligence we lack?

Not that it justifies the pick, but I'd bet that's at least a positive he brings.
It's a Schoonmaker type pick, he'll probably be a very solid rotational guy who maybe becomes a starter one day. If we got him 50 picks later you'd love it, but it was a reach and kind of unbelievable considering our RB situation.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

That's interesting because it seems the opposite of writeups I've seen about him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

He is a pretty decent tackler, so maybe that is it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Loofa LBer.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Really... Did they say he wasn't smart or something?

"Liufau has average instincts that are moderately disappointing, and they are really the big issue that is holding him back from being special. His lack of instinctiveness can be seen with how slowly he reads his keys. As a pro, Liufau will really need to study and learn to improve his reaction time...

However, he needs to improve his recognition because he will take false steps in coverage that put him in a tough spot of having to close separation."

I do think this part is interesting because it might be what Zimmer sees in him:

"What Liufau does best in the passing game is blitz. He is very fast off the edge, using his speed to dart by blockers. He is adept at generating pressure on the quarterback.

As a pro, Liufau’s best fit would come as a Sam – strongside – linebacker who does a lot of edge rushing. It would help Liufau if his pro team keeps things simple and utilizes him as a designated pass rusher."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"Liufau has average instincts that are moderately disappointing, and they are really the big issue that is holding him back from being special. His lack of instinctiveness can be seen with how slowly he reads his keys. As a pro, Liufau will really need to study and learn to improve his reaction time...

However, he needs to improve his recognition because he will take false steps in coverage that put him in a tough spot of having to close separation."

I do think this part is interesting because it might be what Zimmer sees in him:

"What Liufau does best in the passing game is blitz. He is very fast off the edge, using his speed to dart by blockers. He is adept at generating pressure on the quarterback.

As a pro, Liufau’s best fit would come as a Sam – strongside – linebacker who does a lot of edge rushing. It would help Liufau if his pro team keeps things simple and utilizes him as a designated pass rusher."

The Senior Bowl roster initially had him listed as an edge.

Top Bottom