2023 Season | Week 4 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Patriots @ Cowboys | 10/1/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Watched the all-22 of the OL, and Steele in particular, and while he was mostly fine the extension is an overpay if he continues playing like this. I'm guessing he still isn't truly 100% coming off the ACL so I'm not freaking out, and he still looks really good against the run mostly, but it'll be interesting to track. He got away with a few blatant shots to the opponent's facemask in pass protection so hopefully he doesn't fuck up a big play in a big moment here in the next few games.

One interesting thing was Martin looked kind of inconsistent and got beat way more than I'm used to seeing. He was still very good for the most part but the bar is so high for him it's surprising to see him get beaten more than 1-2 times a game, and he got whipped pretty good a handful of times. I'm assuming that's mostly a function of the ankle and maybe not truly being 100%, but something else to keep an eye on.

Edoga simply looking competent from time to time is a huge win. He'll be a massive liability against a pass rush like the 49ers or Eagles but there's nothing you can do about that, the fact that he can get us through a game at LT against a team like the Patriots is a clear win.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Watched the all-22 of the OL, and Steele in particular, and while he was mostly fine the extension is an overpay if he continues playing like this. I'm guessing he still isn't truly 100% coming off the ACL so I'm not freaking out, and he still looks really good against the run mostly, but it'll be interesting to track. He got away with a few blatant shots to the opponent's facemask in pass protection so hopefully he doesn't fuck up a big play in a big moment here in the next few games.

One interesting thing was Martin looked kind of inconsistent and got beat way more than I'm used to seeing. He was still very good for the most part but the bar is so high for him it's surprising to see him get beaten more than 1-2 times a game, and he got whipped pretty good a handful of times. I'm assuming that's mostly a function of the ankle and maybe not truly being 100%, but something else to keep an eye on.

Edoga simply looking competent from time to time is a huge win. He'll be a massive liability against a pass rush like the 49ers or Eagles but there's nothing you can do about that, the fact that he can get us through a game at LT against a team like the Patriots is a clear win.
Did you get the feeling of improvement from Steele over the course of four games, or is he playing hurt and not healing?

Also, is Tyler rusty too, that is does he ever flash dominance

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Did you get the feeling of improvement from Steele over the course of four games, or is he playing hurt and not healing?

Steele looked terrible against the Jets in pass protection and I think he's gotten better since then, but he's still looking rusty with his footwork and hand placement. I'm keeping an eye on him specifically for that reason, to see to what extent he improves as the year goes on.

He's been pretty solid overall in the run game throughout.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Tyler killed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I made my last pass yesterday on the offense only and you are absolutely correct. Steele had some really really sloppy moments and he is shaky in his lower body. Even on a EXP he got messed up with his leverage and couldn't push off when he got stood up (why he is on that unit, I have no idea). Martin also looked underpowered, although guys like Wise and Guy are both very strong. He had a weird chance to send their MLB Bentley into hell and instead pushed him to where he was set up for a PD.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I made my last pass yesterday on the offense only and you are absolutely correct. Steele had some really really sloppy moments and he is shaky in his lower body. Even on a EXP he got messed up with his leverage and couldn't push off when he got stood up (why he is on that unit, I have no idea). Martin also looked underpowered, although guys like Wise and Guy are both very strong. He had a weird chance to send their MLB Bentley into hell and instead pushed him to where he was set up for a PD.
Yea I don't think it's bad enough to really be concerned yet but it's something to keep an eye on. Steele doesn't look amazing but he's definitely not as bad as Gallup was last year coming off the injury.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wondering about the extension being an overpay though. The saving grace is he's an extremely hard worker by all accounts, so whatever room for improvement is there, he'll reach it.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea I don't think it's bad enough to really be concerned yet but it's something to keep an eye on. Steele doesn't look amazing but he's definitely not as bad as Gallup was last year coming off the injury.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wondering about the extension being an overpay though. The saving grace is he's an extremely hard worker by all accounts, so whatever room for improvement is there, he'll reach it.
But if we look at the Tylers as the highest performers on this edition of the oline, that might not bode so well for this coming game against a premier defense. The right side is kinda suspect/shaky, while Edoga mans the LT spot. I didnt mention Tyron on purpose.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I do hope they understand and see his limitations.

I realize Solari is a grizzled vet, but people at his age can miss details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom