2023 Season | Week 4 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Patriots @ Cowboys | 10/1/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I might be one of the few but I think Belichick, while he is a good coach, is vastly overrated. People say he's the GOAT. I don't think he even belongs in the discussion. He lucked into Tom Brady. He didn't do shit before Brady, and looks to be not doing much after. If Mo Lewis hadn't smashed Drew Bledsoe, maybe there never is a Tom Brady. Belichick went from falling into a pool of shit, to coming out smelling like a rose.

Hell, let's use the guy above. Pete Carroll. Like you said, look what he's accomplished both in college and in the NFL. What do you think he'd have done if he'd had Tom Brady fall into his lap?

The GOAT coach discussion should include not only guys that won, but guys that were innovators in the game. Guys like Lombardi. Landry. Walsh. Etc... Belichick was/is a very good defensive coach. So is Dan Quinn. Do you think he would have won that super bowl if he had Tom Brady playing for him instead of against him? How many would he have won with Brady?
You are correct. A lot of people could win in the same situation. Very good defensive mind and the GOAT at QB will get you a lot of wins.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are correct. A lot of people could win in the same situation. Very good defensive mind and the GOAT at QB will get you a lot of wins.
I think his biggest problem is that he wants to shop for his own groceries. The Pats just aren't very talented and a lot of it has to do with how they draft and build the team. It's not just Mac Jones. It's the talent on the Oline, its their weapons at WR. Even their defense doesn't really have dynamic players. And Bill can't complain that someone else is strapping him with lackluster talent.

And then on top of that I don't think he knows much about offense. His selection for offensive coaches is pretty lackluster. There is a reason why his offensive coordinators don't really do shit anywhere else.

We sort of saw some of that with Parcells. He didn't always know how to build the most talented team. But he could coach the hell out of Troy Hambrick and Quincy Carter who were dog shit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think his biggest problem is that he wants to shop for his own groceries. The Pats just aren't very talented and a lot of it has to do with how they draft and build the team. It's not just Mac Jones. It's the talent on the Oline, its their weapons at WR. Even their defense doesn't really have dynamic players. And Bill can't complain that someone else is strapping him with lackluster talent.

And then on top of that I don't think he knows much about offense. His selection for offensive coaches is pretty lackluster. There is a reason why his offensive coordinators don't really do shit anywhere else.

We sort of saw some of that with Parcells. He didn't always know how to build the most talented team. But he could coach the hell out of Troy Hambrick and Quincy Carter who were dog shit.

Heck, people try to knock Parcells for only winning his super bowls when he had bellichick.

But Parcells won with Phill Simms and Jeff Hostetler.

Winning with either of those guys is pretty impressive. I'm not sure Bellichick could have if he was HC.

In Bellichick's defense, I do think there's something to winning 6, even if you have the GOAT. And I also think there's something to the game passing certain coaches by, and we might be seeing that with Bellichick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I might be one of the few but I think Belichick, while he is a good coach, is vastly overrated. People say he's the GOAT. I don't think he even belongs in the discussion. He lucked into Tom Brady. He didn't do shit before Brady, and looks to be not doing much after. If Mo Lewis hadn't smashed Drew Bledsoe, maybe there never is a Tom Brady. Belichick went from falling into a pool of shit, to coming out smelling like a rose.

Hell, let's use the guy above. Pete Carroll. Like you said, look what he's accomplished both in college and in the NFL. What do you think he'd have done if he'd had Tom Brady fall into his lap?

The GOAT coach discussion should include not only guys that won, but guys that were innovators in the game. Guys like Lombardi. Landry. Walsh. Etc... Belichick was/is a very good defensive coach. So is Dan Quinn. Do you think he would have won that super bowl if he had Tom Brady playing for him instead of against him? How many would he have won with Brady?
This is what I wanted to see when/if Brady left New England. Which would survive without the other. Brady won another ring, Bellichik has been mediocre. Putting together great defenses with an all time QB will certainly win you rings.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This is what I wanted to see when/if Brady left New England. Which would survive without the other. Brady won another ring, Bellichik has been mediocre. Putting together great defenses with an all time QB will certainly win you rings.
He has struggled to replace Brady, and it seems he needs a Brady to win.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The Giants look to be about 2-3 more losses from completely quitting on Daboll. They already look undisciplined and out of control, but if they fall into a 1-6 or 1-7 hole that might be all she wrote for Daboll if they end up like 4-13 or some such.
I never was impressed with the Dabol hire, and then signing Retardo Jones is even a bigger mistake.

When I get totally pissed with Dak, I instantly feel better knowing at least we didn’t end up with Jones.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never was impressed with the Dabol hire, and then signing Retardo Jones is even a bigger mistake.

When I get totally pissed with Dak, I instantly feel better knowing at least we didn’t end up with Jones.
I mean I think Daboll is a pretty good offensive coordinator. I like what he did with Josh Allen. I think he did the best he could possibly do with that Giants team last year. But in the end the talent is what the talent is. The Giants have Daniel Jones at QB and when Barkley is out there offense really lacks any legitimate weapons. I just don't think there is much to work with there.

Which is funny because not too long ago Ravi was having a full on panic attack about them drafting the 2 best players in the draft. Luckily Kayvon and Neal have kind of been poop.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But in the end the talent is what the talent is.
Look no further than the Patriots. Arguably a GOAT coach, and they had no answers Sunday.

Daboll is now stuck with Jones

People will agree to anything to get/keep a HC job in the NFL.

McCarthy lied about wanting to keep Moore as OC and Daboll lied about being able to make Jones a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom