2023 Season | Week 1 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Giants | 9/10/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am doing my last pass over the game and feel like I am homering out with the defense.

No question.
How long have I been telling you this defense had all timer potential?

Still a long shot but it's a top 3 defense in the league at the absolute least.

There will be bumps along the way but this is a special unit, similar to the OL we had from 2014-16.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But what the hell is with the 25 from ESPN? That can't possibly be right given the outcomes.
It’s BSPN. They are all over the Chiefs’ jocks with 100, despite the issues their OT’s had vs Detroit. 75 for Philly and 38 for LA— they probably didn’t even watch the games and submitted “ratings” based on reputation and what might draw clicks

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How long have I been telling you this defense had all timer potential?

Still a long shot but it's a top 3 defense in the league at the absolute least.

There will be bumps along the way but this is a special unit, similar to the OL we had from 2014-16.
Gotta get that run defense taken care of, but otherwise I can’t believe how ready this defense was to play.

Outside of that stupid late hit I guess they had to get out of their system, every player at nearly every position made the right plays, and the coaches really maximized the talent of a lot of decent but folks, like Diggy, Thomas, and Bell.

It reminded me of 2003 with Parcells or some of Landry’s prime defenses with savvy field leaders like White, Harris, and Waters. Everyone played right except maybe Hollywood Henderson, and his talent and teammates more than made up for it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Mazi NoTaco.
He'll be fine, expectations were just way too high for him. Admittedly I expected him to be a starter from day 1, so he's a bit disappointing from that perspective, but I think he's developing just fine.

The big thing with him is learning how to use his hands and how to properly diagnose and play his gap with the proper leverage. I think he's getting better in that regard while flashing the power/explosiveness that got him drafted as high as he went.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Meh, I'm sorry but that youtuber blew his credibility when he titled Mazi's first preseason game UNBLOCKABLE when he clearly was anything but.

I don't want to watch the whole video, but those first two reps aren't "wins" or "doing a nice job" IMO. The second one he tries to swim and gets pushed yards away... And by one man, BTW, not two. What's so good about that?

At least he admits he did terrible on the third play.

I don't hate Mazi, I was in the top 2 :toweling (with Cotton) when we drafted him. I hope he turns into a great player. He's literally one game into his pro career so I don't expect him to be an impact player yet. But please don't tell me how great he's doing on some of these plays when he's not.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Meh, I'm sorry but that youtuber blew his credibility when he titled Mazi's first preseason game UNBLOCKABLE when he clearly was anything but.

I don't want to watch the whole video, but those first two reps aren't "wins" or "doing a nice job" IMO. The second one he tries to swim and gets pushed yards away... And by one man, BTW, not two. What's so good about that?

At least he admits he did terrible on the third play.

I don't hate Mazi, I was in the top 2 :toweling (with Cotton) when we drafted him. I hope he turns into a great player. He's literally one game into his pro career so I don't expect him to be an impact player yet. But please don't tell me how great he's doing on some of these plays when he's not.
He will be fine. Adjusting to the speed and athletic ability in the NFL at that position takes a minute.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He will be fine. Adjusting to the speed and athletic ability in the NFL at that position takes a minute.
Yeah, he just needs reps in my opinion. You're not going to get better at snap anticipation unless you are out there doing it. There is a reason most NFL NT's, even first round picks, take time to adjust to the NFL. You can be big and strong but there is more to playing the position than just that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jordan Davis, who everyone absolutely loved during the 2022 draft and who went in the top 15, had a grand total of 1 TFL, 0 QB hits and 0 sacks over 224 snaps as a rookie.

Mazi already got a TFL in his first game.

He'll be fine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I saw Taco Mazi push Ben Breadeson into the backfield once.

We might be witnessing greatness blooming, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom