2023 Roster Predictions Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He’s fighting Tolbert for WR#4 .
I mean I don't think Duece even needs to play special teams to be the #2 RB. Right now that is clearly what he should be. Turpin has supposedly been really good at WR at camp, so it's certainly possibly he earns a roster spot on that alone. Bonus is both guys can return. Although that fumble against the Jags from Turpin was not good.

ZeroClub

UFA
Right, Turpin has been getting a lot of good reps at WR this camp. I've heard a few like Stanback (not the reporters who barely know what to look at) say he's at least the 4th WR. He did have the 4th and 13 conversion Saturday.
They are giving Turpin a great opportunity to make this team. He's an interesting player. A downside with him is ball security / decision making. The team has to question whether they can trust him to avoid negative plays.
It got old watching Beasley safely fair catch punt after punt for those years under Garrett, but at least he was reliable. One of the only ways to score against the current Dallas defense is by getting the ball on a short field after a turnover / mistake. Maybe Turpin's speed and quickness aren't worth Turpin's ball security issues. I'm guessing that if Parcells were head coach now, given the strength of the defense, Parcells would take a reliable Beasley-type over Turpin.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Agree. Beasley is, or was, simply a better player than Turpin. No question.

And I have to say, I heard Eatman say that Turpin had a couple of mental errors on offense Saturday, so that's not good.

But that raw speed makes it worth it to try to get him the ball.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He’s fighting Tolbert for WR#4 .
If the camp reports are true and based on how Tolbert looked, I don’t think it is close. He may be a “Pro Bowl” returner, but he is tremendously overrated. His last couple of returns saw him get tackled in the open field by a kicker and a long snapper stripped him of the football the other night.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If the camp reports are true and based on how Tolbert looked, I don’t think it is close. He may be a “Pro Bowl” returner, but he is tremendously overrated. His last couple of returns saw him get tackled in the open field by a kicker and a long snapper stripped him of the football the other night.
For the game, Tolbert's receiving stat line was better actually. Then theres the dipshit fumble rooskie.

ZeroClub

UFA
Stephens reminds me of De'Runnya Wilson, who played WR at Mississippi State. Dak and Wilson had a real chemistry when they played together. Wilson was a tall, physical receiver with a large catch radius, soft hands, who typically won contested catches. Wilson lacked NFL WR speed so he never really got a shot at the next level, but he was a very productive college player. He played some SEC basketball too. Dak had real success with him. It was a thing. Sadly, Wilson died a few years ago in a shooting. Anyway, it isn't difficult to imagine Dak developing a connection with Stephens given some of his similarities to Wilson.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'd put Bass and Bell ahead of Ball and Davis, maybe Stephens also.
Yes but Mike loves him some BallS. I don't see the value of Ball or Davis. Like the play of Bell and the unknown of Stephens and Bass better.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It definitely feels like the novelty of Turpin has worn off. We also have to acknowledge that draft status pays a huge part in this as well. Which is why I think Tolbert has a leg up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seriously doubt Hendershot's job is on the line. The Cowboys like him too much. John Stephens may push his way onto the roster but I don't think they dump Hendershot either. At that point I'm guessing we keep 4 TEs. Of course if Hendershot has trade value at all, I may be in the market to trade him. Still seems a bit risky to roll with 2 rookie TE's and a second year TE. I mean talk about a young position group.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, I don't see why Hendershot's job would be at risk when you have McKeon below him.

I guess that would be unless McKeon were some special teams demon and Hendershot were terrible at them, but I remember Hendershot playing plenty on ST last year.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Keep Bell and Stephens every day over Davis and Ball. Mediocre RBs and O linemen are a dime a dozen. A safety and TE with upside potential are keepers. I love the idea of a defense having to cover Stephens with a safety. A lineup with two TEs, 2 WRs, Vaughn in the backfield. Run or pass? What's a DC to do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep Bell and Stephens every day over Davis and Ball. Mediocre RBs and O linemen are a dime a dozen. A safety and TE with upside potential are keepers. I love the idea of a defense having to cover Stephens with a safety. A lineup with two TEs, 2 WRs, Vaughn in the backfield. Run or pass? What's a DC to do.
I mean I doubt Stephens sees the field much as a rookie. But he has enough raw talent to make it worth keeping him around because I think he could develop into a real weapon at TE.

Not sure what Davis has to do with any of this. We will need to keep 3 RBs. Pollard and Vaughn are given in my opinion. The third guy is going to be Davis, Dowdle or someone off another team. Of course Ronald Jones doesn't count against the roster for the first couple of weeks but after the suspension we will then have another decision to make.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
QB - Dak, Cooper (how does the emergency 3rd QB work?)
RB - TP, Deuce, Leupke
WR - Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Brooks, Tolbert
TE - Ferguson, Hendershot, Schoonmaker, Stephens
OL - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Bass, Hoffman, Richards, Wellletsgo
DL - Micah, Lawrence, Sam, Armstrong, Fowler, Gholston, Hankins, Mazi, Odiggy,
LB - LVE, Clark, Harper, Overshown, Cox
CB - Gilmore, Diggs, Bland, Scott, Wright, Goodwin, Lewis
S - Wilson, Hooker, Kearse, Muku, Bell, Thomas
K - Some dude off the shkreet
P - Anger
LS - Sieg

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
QB - Dak, Cooper (how does the emergency 3rd QB work?)
RB - TP, Deuce, Leupke
WR - Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Brooks, Tolbert
TE - Ferguson, Hendershot, Schoonmaker, Stephens
OL - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Bass, Hoffman, Richards, Wellletsgo
DL - Micah, Lawrence, Sam, Armstrong, Fowler, Gholston, Hankins, Mazi, Odiggy,
LB - LVE, Clark, Harper, Overshown, Cox
CB - Gilmore, Diggs, Bland, Scott, Wright, Goodwin, Lewis
S - Wilson, Hooker, Kearse, Muku, Bell, Thomas
K - Some dude off the shkreet
P - Anger
LS - Sieg
I don’t see us rolling with just 4 WRs unless you are considering Stephens as a slash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom