2023 Rookie Camp Thread…

tnt

Whoa An Active DCCer
Yeah it was bad. Other guys would be talking about one prospect and she would think it's an entirely different player on an entirely different team. She had no idea at times about prospects that were obviously ranked highly enough that she should have known about them. Anyway, maybe she just needs experience and she will get there. But when Broaddus sounds like he knows more that's not good at all.
She even stated, during one of the draft shows, that she was laying on her couch just last year. So very new.

• Picard
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys rookie minicamp: Mazi Smith’s expanding skill set, rookie TE watches Witten
Dallas Cowboys first-round draft pick defensive tackle Mazi Smith participates in the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Frisco, Texas, Saturday, May 13, 2023. (AP Photo/Sam Hodde)

By Jon Machota
5h ago

FRISCO, Texas — Mazi Smith and the rest of the Cowboys’ rookie class got their first taste of life as an NFL player over the weekend as rookie minicamp took place at The Star.

The eight draft picks and 13 undrafted rookie free agents weren’t in full pads, but they got a chance to go through drills and meetings, showing them how the 2023 Cowboys will be preparing for organized team activities, minicamp, training camp and then the season.

“It wants to be fast and furious, but I don’t play that,” Smith said when asked about things coming at him quickly since being drafted. “I be telling folks, ‘Slow your roll. I’m gonna slow down, too.’ I’m just here to mind my business and get better as a player, and be the best nose/D-tackle that the Cowboys can have.”

Dallas’ first-round pick is expected to play a significant role at defensive tackle. He insists that he has only scratched the surface in his career. He was an outstanding run stopper in college and expects to do the same in the NFL, while also adding more pass rush than he showcased at Michigan.

“A lot of people talk about my pass rush in college, but I never had a pass-rush plan,” said Smith, who only had a half sack in 35 college games. “We’re gonna get a plan and see what I can do. I was a run stopper. If we were going to win the game, I was gonna have to stop the run. And that’s what I focused on. That’s what I’m still focused on. … I wanted to win games and win the Big Ten championship. I knew if we were gonna do that, we were gonna have to stop the run.”
https://theathletic.com/4511843/2023/05/11/dallas-cowboys-schedule-2023/
Rookies and the team’s three coordinators were made available during the two days open to reporters. Highlights from offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and special teams coordinator John Fassel can be found here.

Deuce Vaughn was the first of the group to speak in the locker room on Friday. At only 5-5, 180 pounds, the former Kansas State standout running back has to prove he can hold up at the professional level. His father, Chris Vaughn, is the Cowboys’ assistant director of college scouting. Picking Deuce in the sixth round quickly became one of the best stories of this year’s draft. But he’s now trying to put that behind him.

“I’m trying to clear it out of my head as fast as possible and get ready to work,” Deuce said, “gain the respect of everybody in this building, the coaches, not only my rookie class but the (veterans), letting it be known that it’s not just a good story. I’m coming here to work and play football.

“You get to college and guys kind of question and doubt your abilities because of your size. It just adds to the chip on my shoulder. That’s why I’m the hardest working guy that you’ll ever meet.”

Here are other highlights from over the weekend.

Second-round pick Luke Schoonmaker said he’s been watching a lot of film of Jason Witten. The former Michigan TE has reached out and is hoping to meet Witten in the near future. “As a player, of course, he’s spectacular. He’s a Hall of Famer. But him as person, as a teammate, he’s such a leader. He’d be such a great person to talk to.”
https://theathletic.com/4477645/2023/05/02/cowboys-luke-schoonmaker-nfl-draft-analysis/
Third-round pick DeMarvion Overshown said Quinn has started him out at weakside linebacker. The Cowboys liked the versatility he showed at Texas and believe he can play multiple spots in their defensive scheme and make an immediate impact on special teams. “(My helmet) is missing the star, but I’m OK with it. I’m going to earn it,” Overshown said of rookies not having the Cowboys’ star logo on their helmets. “That’s what I want to do. I want to be able to know that the vets trust me. Whatever I got to do to get that star on my helmet, that’s what I’m going to do.”

“Based off his college tape,” Fassel said of Overshown, “I feel like I can put him anywhere on kickoff and he’ll run down and make some plays and cause some hell on the back end. I think on the kickoff return you put him on the frontline, like the (Luke) Gifford spot, and single him up on one of their best guys. I think he’ll be outstanding on punt and protection and cover because he did that in college. He’ll be outstanding somewhere on punt return.”

Fourth-round pick Viliami Fehoko said he thought he’d be drafted by either the Cowboys or Bengals because those two showed by far the most interest. He said Quinn’s plan for him is to immediately “hit the ground running.” Fehoko thinks he will play on the edge and also at three-technique defensive tackle. He might need to gain 5 to 10 pounds, but that shouldn’t be a problem. Fehoko said he went from 225 to 275 in a sixth-month period in college by lifting weights and eating a lot of pork, beef and tacos.

Fifth-round pick Asim Richards played left tackle at North Carolina but believes he’s versatile enough to play multiple positions along the offensive line. He could also get some work at left guard. What will it take for him to have a long NFL career? “Just take care of my body and knowing what to do,” he said. “Performing, it’s going to come. This is the highest level. People are good. It’s really just knowing what you’re doing and taking care of your body.”
https://theathletic.com/4498065/2023/05/08/cowboys-53-man-roster-projection/
Undrafted rookie free agents

Two of the more notable players the Cowboys signed after the draft were Florida A&M edge rusher Isaiah Land and Oregon offensive guard T.J. Bass.

Quinn said he’s been monitoring Land since last season while watching tape of current Cowboys safety Markquese Bell, who played with Land in college.

“He had a fantastic junior year, over 20 sacks and really lit it up,” Quinn said. “I was like, ‘Who is this guy?’ … I’ve always had my vision on him, the size, the length, could this defensive end play linebacker, could he go down? I know he can rush. So, I was just trying to add, one of the examples of what else can they do? He’s somebody that I’m excited to see, and there is no timeline on that. Like, development takes time. You’re not going to get there in one day or two days.”

The starting left guard spot is arguably the biggest hole on the Cowboys’ roster, so The Athletic caught up with Bass, who Dane Brugler had ranked as the 14th-best guard in this year’s draft with a fifth-sixth round grade.

Bass said he started hearing from the Cowboys midway through the sixth round. He didn’t have much pre-draft contact with them. The team met with him on an unofficial visit at the combine. The possible playing time at left guard played a role in Bass signing with Dallas. Another reason was the chance to play alongside and learn from Tyron Smith and Zack Martin.

“I have shown that I have versatility,” Bass said. “I’m a pretty physical player and I’m also a pretty smart player. … I played tackle in college. I didn’t play any center but I think I could play center. (Guard) is where I started my college career and then things just worked out to where I was playing left tackle the majority of my career at Oregon. I’m comfortable there. I think it fits my play style.”

Bass said he had been training all offseason with Bengals guard Alex Cappa. His goal for his rookie season?

“Try to (be on the roster) and travel all year,” Bass said. “I want to take this first year, especially, learning, watching how the vets do it, how they (watch) film, how they show up to practice, how they take care of their bodies. Learn everything, the ins and outs of the game.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“Based off his college tape,” Fassel said of Overshown, “I feel like I can put him anywhere on kickoff and he’ll run down and make some plays and cause some hell on the back end. I think on the kickoff return you put him on the frontline, like the (Luke) Gifford spot, and single him up on one of their best guys. I think he’ll be outstanding on punt and protection and cover because he did that in college. He’ll be outstanding somewhere on punt return.”
So…we just had to draft a ST LBer?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I already hate Brian Schottenheimer.
I just think he is weak and very unimaginative. Hopefully Fat Mike pulls some brilliance out of his own ass or I could see this offense stepping back if things aren’t perfect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just think he is weak and very unimaginative. Hopefully Fat Mike pulls some brilliance out of his own ass or I could see this offense stepping back if things aren’t perfect.
I don't know about it stepping back. But I wouldn't be shocked if it's boring. Which probably means less points but more time of possession.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Russell Wilson went from putting up production similar to Mahomes and Rodgers under Schottenheimer to doing whatever the fuck last year was, so there's that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm not saying he's going to run this offense, but the Kubiak/Shanahan Sr. offense I've been wanting isn't particularly imaginative or spectacular, it's just very well structured and executed.

I'm hoping the new offense is much better at one play or series of plays setting up future ones, where Kellen's just seemed at times like random plays thrown together with no overall plan.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I'm not saying he's going to run this offense, but the Kubiak/Shanahan Sr. offense I've been wanting isn't particularly imaginative or spectacular, it's just very well structured and executed.

I'm hoping the new offense is much better at one play or series of plays setting up future ones, where Kellen's just seemed at times like random plays thrown together with no overall plan.
Kellen Moore’s genius. The opponent can’t figure out your game plan if you don’t have one!

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
When someone has bounced from team to team to team over 20-plus years, it's never a good sign. On three of those teams he was an assistant under his father.

Per Wikipedia: "On January 12, 2021, Schottenheimer was fired by the Seahawks following the Seahawks' Wild Card loss to the Los Angeles Rams due to "philosophical differences".[9] Despite a torrid start to the 2020 season which saw career highs for quarterback Russell Wilson in touchdowns and completion percentage, Seattle's offense struggled considerably during the final weeks, with Schottenheimer taking the brunt of the scrutiny due to lack of creativity in the offense and adjustments to the scheme."

From there he goes to Jax under Urban Meyer. There's a real endorsement. Lasts a year and gets uninvited to stay when Pederson takes over. Then Jerry goes dumpster diving and hires him as "consultant," whatever the fuck that means.

Now he's the OC. Granted, Fat Mike will be calling the plays, but still . . .

Anyone who wonders why the Cowboys join Cleveland, Miami, Detroit and Washington as the 5 sorry-ass teams with the longest absence from a conference championship game has only to look at who Jerry has hired over that 30 year drought.

The difference between Jerry and Jeffrey Lurie is that Lurie doesn't care whether anyone regards him as a "football guy." Lurie owns the team and signs the checks. He doesn't care if Sirianni or Roseman gets the credit.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
There are plenty of examples of Jerry being a meddling twat over the last 30 years. Hiring Brian Schottenheimer is not one of them.

Actually, letting the HC hire the guy he wants for OC is an example of doing it the right way. Mandating that the HC keep and watch Kellen Moore be the OC and call plays was the wrong way.

Top Bottom