2023 Cowboys Preseason Week 1 Gameday Chatter Thread | Jaguars @ Cowboys | 08/12/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yes, he was doubled a lot, however you must have a different definition of "win".

He had a couple of plays, but all in all, I expected more, especially for how much he played.

I did not expect him to either draw or lose often to the likes of Darryl Williams, Blake Hance, Chandler Brewer, Josh Wells and Cooper Hodges. If you take into account that talent sustained the same results as the starters like Schreff, Walker Little and Luke Fortner did early in the game.

I am not in full blown panic mode and when he is in there with Parsons, Lawrence and Hankins, his role could be different. That stated, at the very least I expect him to step change improve against Seattle.
That video posted by p1 does a good job of breaking down some of the reps he won, not all of the ones I saw were on there, and I didn't agree with all of the ones he considered "wins", but I definitely saw some subtle wins in the run game in particular.

Some of them came after it looked like he lost a rep, and I think my lack of concern mostly comes down to the "losses" not being purely physical, in my opinion of course. A lot of it was technique and awareness/processing, and some of it was just that he's going to lose against doubles sometimes.

I agree that I expect to see improvement throughout the rest of preseason but I'm already seeing flashes of what I expected in the run game.

It's not always going to look pretty, remember last year that people were freaking out over Tyler having like 5 penalties in preseason?

Shit happens along the learning curve.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shit happens along the learning curve.
That is completely understandable. He really did not appear to be sure of himself because I did not see a lot of aggression. Again, that could change as there will be more opportunities with the improved personnel around him.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Smith should just go by the wise words of Jason Garrett, who so often said, "We'll have to look at the tape and learn from it."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That is completely understandable. He really did not appear to be sure of himself because I did not see a lot of aggression. Again, that could change as there will be more opportunities with the improved personnel around him.
On some of the doubles where he got washed down it looked like he was just wanting to attack the guy in front of him without being aware of what was going on around him. So I agree that he was probably thinking too much and not just playing, which is something that should be easily improved after a few games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a little disconcerting. They should probably have him practicing pass protection. Hopefully it was just a coincidence and not by design to try and avoid it with him. He can't be any worse than Davis was at it.

Also, I'd have liked a designed screen or two with him. Maybe they don't want to show it.
Could be part of the strategy. I mean you can either have your back picking up a blitz or going into a pattern. My guess is they view his impact as far greater running a pattern than picking up a blitz. It's a numbers game, if you keep him in to pick up the blitz you're basically saying we will let you take our RB out of the play by bringing an extra guy. Alternatively you could say, hey bring the extra guy, our RB is going to be out there to catch a pass and you'll have one less defender out there to cover it.

Not saying he will never need to chip or things like that but I also think as an offense you sort of make a choice. If you want your RB to block, you take away your QBs quick passing options to deal with that blitz.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Could be part of the strategy. I mean you can either have your back picking up a blitz or going into a pattern. My guess is they view his impact as far greater running a pattern than picking up a blitz. It's a numbers game, if you keep him in to pick up the blitz you're basically saying we will let you take our RB out of the play by bringing an extra guy. Alternatively you could say, hey bring the extra guy, our RB is going to be out there to catch a pass and you'll have one less defender out there to cover it.

Not saying he will never need to chip or things like that but I also think as an offense you sort of make a choice. If you want your RB to block, you take away your QBs quick passing options to deal with that blitz.

He needs to be able to do it at times and given that it's preseason they should be taking a look at him doing it a couple times to see where he's at in live action. You also don't want to telegraph or be predictable to the.defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

After watching the game twice, I did not see Deuce Vaughn in pass protection once.

I am not going back to disprove this, but it is kind of annoying.

I have no fucking idea where and how they gave him a pass pro grade.

Once he kinda hung out on the backfield, then grazed a guy then ran upfield once the ball was released.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm just glad that McCarthy is smarter than Jason Garrett.
:lol

That is a kind of grim thing to be glad for. We should never have been subjected to that fuck for a decade.

Anyways, I was pleased with how the team looked overall.

The penalties were not a factor.

The offense didn't have problems with the clock nor did they look like they didn't know where they were supposed to be. A lot of our issues were OL execution and honestly, some decisions that both Rush and Grier made to hold onto the ball.

I like the way the passing game is heading. There were a lot of crossing patterns and more action to the middle of the field which I like. Slants from the WRs, designed routes for the backs.

Defensively, they did okay. Early on, you could see some scheming and design, but overall it was a very simple gameplan constructed to evaluate.

ZeroClub

UFA
Yes. And for me, I'm thankful that McCarthy isn't expecting Deuce to pass protect like Zeke. That's the kind of mistake that Garrett was entirely capable of. Round peg, square hole. McCarthy is better than that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes. And for me, I'm thankful that McCarthy isn't expecting Deuce to pass protect like Zeke. That's the kind of mistake that Garrett was entirely capable of. Round peg, square hole. McCarthy is better than that.
I don’t think if Garrett was around we would have drafted Deuce.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target

After watching the game twice, I did not see Deuce Vaughn in pass protection once.

I am not going back to disprove this, but it is kind of annoying.

I have no fucking idea where and how they gave him a pass pro grade.

Once he kinda hung out on the backfield, then grazed a guy then ran upfield once the ball was released.
Proof that Leupke could convert to OL.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maliek Davis is on notice.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
So... first half is in the books, and the biggest thing I've taken away so far?

Game threads are going to suck. With everyone on different streams, very few people are on the same time. So either you're behind with your comments, or you comment before others have seen it and spoil what's about to happen.
It's absurd.

I follow the team pretty closely as we all do and even from the beginning of the game there were guys playing that I'd never heard of.

Who the frick is Redwine for example?

There's no reason for these scrubs to be playing in the first drive of the game.

Even vets need some practice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maliek Davis is on notice.
He had some mental errors and miscues. But I don’t think it was horrific. I would downgrade Dowdle big time for the fumble, but they probably don’t.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It still bugs me they didn't play Davis last year when Pollard got hurt. And he missed that key block which might be why. I almost expect him to be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom