**2023 Cowboys Pre-Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless someone reaches on him in the Top 10, I just don't see it.

I went with each team with each pick that made sense. I cannot be responsible for insanity.

And there will be some trades in little pockets.
No Porter?

Gosh I don't want a corner but that would be hard to pass up. Kancey would be high for me. I'm not a big Murphy fan but like Porter it may be hard to pass up at that point. Van Ness too.

I feel like you're intentionally tempting me with two positions I don't want with players that may be too good to pass up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No Porter?

Gosh I don't want a corner but that would be hard to pass up. Kancey would be high for me. I'm not a big Murphy fan but like Porter it may be hard to pass up at that point. Van Ness too.

I feel like you're intentionally tempting me with two positions I don't want with players that may be too good to pass up.
That is the point of this exercise.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Cowboys could target a defensive tackle early — it’s an impressive but short supply

By Bob Sturm
6h ago
In the interest of full disclosure, I decided to change my own rules here in our ninth Draft Digest. To this point, they have all been six players, but in this edition, I wanted to give you the best five defensive tackles and then allow myself an extra cornerback for the 10th edition next week.

There is no doubt that the Cowboys fancy help at defensive tackle, but the issue there is that the drop-off from the top bunch to the rest is substantial and with only one pick the top 57 selections, the supply will not meet the demand. Average defensive tackles do grow on trees in the later rounds, but these are the best of the best and won’t have to wait very long.
ADVERTISEMENT

As you know, The Athletic’s Dane Brugler has been supplying our prospects through his amazing work and his latest Top 100 list can be found here.

Without any further build-up, let’s look – in alphabetical order – what we believe are the top five defensive tackles in this class.

Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin: 6-4, 309, senior, age 21
Keeanu Benton is a very interesting player who emerged at the Senior Bowl as a force to consider. He is a three-star Wisconsin kid who was ranked the 85th-best defensive tackle in his recruiting class, but after his last two years of All-Big Ten play, it would seem that he has done a lot of growing in Madison.

Career stats
YEAR
SCHOOL
CLASS
SNAPS
TACKLES
SACKS
TFL
PFF GRADE
2019WisconsinFR245122472.8
2020WisconsinSO17390063.7
2021WisconsinJR472242.5561.7
2022WisconsinSR428364.51073.6
Totals1,31888919

Strengths: You have to love the exceptional size and arm length on a player who also features this level of quickness and explosion off the snap. He is a big man in the center of your defense who appears position versatile in that he can line up in your 3-tech or 1-tech, although we assume he will make more plays outside the guards than he might in the A-gaps. At Wisconsin, he was able to hold up well in the run game and make plays in the backfield against QBs in the pass game. This, of course, is pretty rare. His hands are gifted and he is very powerful.

Concerns: His anchor may not make him a complete 1-technique or nose tackle so then you fall into the questions about whether he might be more of a tweener than a standout that would push him into the top rounds. Either way, he is useful, but our valuation depends on him being excellent at something as a starter. While a good pass rusher for a run defender, is he a legitimate good pass rusher or will you take him off in pass situations?

Overview: This is probably a safer bet than Mazi Smith at No. 26 if you can nab him in the second round, but the trick is for him to be available when the Cowboys make that second pick. I think the more you can find guys in the 310- to 315-pound range who can really move and play with attitude, the better. Of course, that is easier said than done because they are in large demand. I like him plenty as a SECOND-ROUND grade, but I suspect he gets pushed into the league’s top-50 picks.

Bryan Bresee, Clemson: 6-5, 298, rs-sophomore, age 21
Bryan Bresee was actually the No. 1 recruit in America in the Class of 2020 and pursued by pretty much every college football powerhouse. Upon his arrival at Clemson he immediately won the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year as a freshman. Since then, however, he has been hit hard by an ACL injury to his left knee and a shoulder injury in the last two years and arrives at the draft with a fair amount of questions.

Career stats
YEAR
SCHOOL
CLASS
SNAPS
TACKLES
SACKS
TFL
PFF GRADE
2020ClemsonFR4302346.568.2
2021ClemsonSO152131.5369.4
2022ClemsonRS-SO330153.55.573.5
Totals91251915

Strengths: You can definitely see his upside, the quickness and power that can make him a menace in the backfield. He is tall and has great speed for a defensive tackle and Clemson moved him all over the place including time out on the edge. He can be very explosive and really uses his hands well to win reps in both the run and pass. His motor will not be an issue.
Concerns: The biggest concern is that his best tape was from before his injury and with that comes the conclusion that he is not currently the guy he was before the ACL. He is not as explosive and his lateral quickness is simply not the same. The good news is that we see this all the time one year after an ACL and it almost always gets better. The bad news is that you will have to project that and pick him before you see it. The medicals are going to be imperative and so will his future durability as the past two seasons were abbreviated.
Overview: Bresee is a very nice player and you see that he has a rare skill set of traits and ability. But, the issues are there and the risk factors for a DT that high are pretty significant. Also, I think he is best as a 3-technique inside and from a Cowboys’ standpoint, that position does not need as much help. For me, I would place a FIRST-SECOND ROUND grade on him, provided the medicals look good.

Jalen Carter, Georgia: 6-3, 314, junior, age 22

Jalen Carter is absolutely one of the household names from this draft who emerged as a top prospect over his three seasons as a man among men on that Georgia defense that has won back-to-back national championships, largely because the defense was absurd. He is a five-star from the 2020 class who did some of his best work as he saw more teammates leave for the NFL.
Career stats
YEAR
SCHOOL
CLASS
SNAPS
TACKLES
SACKS
TFL
PFF GRADE
2020GeorgiaFR287140371.4
2021GeorgiaSO3963738.585.3
2022GeorgiaJR392323792.3
Totals1,07583618.5

Strengths: He is a terrifying player to deal with in that his size and quickness combination are as rare as they get and he will immediately be the centerpiece of whatever defense he joins. He is constantly double-teamed but never slows down. If his initial move doesn’t fully work, he activates a bullrush that jolts larger men right back into the QB. Players of this size seldom affect the pass rush the way he does and can also boss a run game. Understand the impact that a player like this has had at Georgia, with every other member of the group getting better opportunities because opponents are trying to keep Carter from wrecking their day.

Concerns: Clearly, his offseason has not helped his stock as his role in the street-racing tragedy will not make this an easy evaluation and he also did not have the best pro day ever. He has limited experience with a snap count barely over 1,000 in three years at Georgia, but that can actually be a positive to many. His stats and production are modest, but we all know that eating double teams makes the defense better without statistical credit. He definitely needs to refine his skills and continue to develop, but he is the real deal.

Overview: He could be considered the best football prospect in this entire draft, but the arrest and the fact he is not a quarterback is going to probably slide him down a fair bit. But make no mistake, turning on the tape shows the rarest of prospects: a defensive tackle who seems to impact the entire game plan. Teams will be hoping and praying nobody from their division takes him so they don’t have to deal with him twice a year. He is that good. HIGH FIRST-ROUND GRADE for his tape.

Calijah Kancey, Pittsburgh: 6-1, 281, rs-junior, age 22

Calijah Kancey is one of the most interesting players in this draft because he is one of the smallest at his position. Yet, his rise from three-star recruit to potential first-rounder is based on production, technique and a skill set that simply defies his limitations at a high level. Yes, his college uniform makes people compare him to Aaron Donald, but we don’t believe in uniform scouting here. He has to have it himself — and, it seems he might.

Career stats
YEAR
SCHOOL
CLASS
SNAPS
TACKLES
SACKS
TFL
PFF GRADE
2020PittsburghRS FR398271.5780.4
2021PittsburghRS SO5773371384.6
2022PittsburghRS JR454317.514.591.8
Totals1,429911634.5

Strengths: I entered my study of Kancey extremely cynical in that I really get concerned with size outliers in the trenches. But, he is consistently so explosive out of his stance and so polished with his hand techniques and pass-rush skills that he is in the backfield in a flash. He causes chaos and attracts attention and is a real high end twitch player who knows what he is doing. He wins with speed and with surprising power. He would be great in a stunting 40 front and his quickness will be a problem.

Concerns: He is small: 2 percentile in height, 4 percentile in weight, 1 percentile in arm length. He is not scheme diverse in that 30 fronts will not have interest and probably not position diverse. He is a straight 3-technique, for me. His play in the run game is acceptable at the college level, but he will be attacked weekly in the NFL to prove he can survive there. He does play low and stands his ground, but, there are many questions to answer.

Overview: Sometimes, you have to focus on what a guy can do and he can make plays. He will not be for everyone, but there are many places he could go that will fit his style and situation that might allow him to be a featured member of their front. Dallas could conceivably be in that group. I had to be convinced and a morning with his tape, did it. He is going in the first round and should receive a FIRST-ROUND grade. I have been won over.

Mazi Smith, Michigan: 6-3, 323, rs-junior, age 21

Mazi Smith was the No. 1 freak in our Bruce Feldman’s 2022 Freak List. Here is the opening paragraph: ” The 6-foot-3, 337-pound senior has rare power and agility. So rare, in fact, it’s hard to find the right superlative to begin with. But let’s start with this: Smith does 22 reps on the bench press, but that’s with 325 (not 225). He close-grip benched 550 pounds. He vertical-jumps 33 inches. He broad-jumped 9-4 1/2. Smith, who had 37 tackles last season, has clocked a 4.41 shuttle time, which would’ve tied the best by any defensive tackle at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, and it would’ve been better than any defensive tackle weighing 310 pounds or more in the past decade. His 6.95 3-cone time would’ve been by far the fastest among defensive tackles in Indianapolis. The fastest was 7.33. “

Career stats
YEAR
SCHOOL
CLASS
SNAPS
TACKLES
SACKS
TFL
PFF GRADE
2019MichiganFR70000
2020MichiganRS FR5130161.4
2021MichiganRS SO5443702.575.6
2022MichiganRS JR632480.52.579.9
Totals1,234880.56

Strengths: As you can see, he has few — if any — physical limitations. For a man his size, he should not be able to move as he does. So often, we look at nose tackles and 1-techniques as players you should get later in the draft because they are so limited physically. They cannot move. Smith is a real exception in that he moves very well. Dominant player vs. the run. He has an anchor against double teams, but can run down the line and mirror someone like C.J. Stroud on a rollout. It is a sight to behold. He can also play a high volume of snaps and remain effective.

Concerns: Well, he is a 1-technique and for all of his wonderful attributes, still totaled just a half-sack in more than 1,200 snaps at Michigan. He is limited as a pass rusher, but can really push the pocket. He had felony charges dismissed for a concealed handgun without a license that will require some work from teams, but by all accounts seems a solid man.

Overview: This one comes down to valuation of the position. I think he is exactly what the Cowboys need, but I also wonder if No. 26 overall is a bit too rich for a guy who might not play on nickel downs. That said, I don’t think he would make it to No. 58, so do you try to trade back to somewhere in the middle? He is impressive and I like him. FIRST-SECOND ROUND grade for me. He is a cut above.

With 53 players done, we have one group — the cornerbacks to go. Of course, I will cheat again and offer a bonus look at the QBs after that. But, for now, here is the Sturm 60 with grades.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
DT IMO is clearly our biggest need and if the fit is right you go get them

I'm glad I don't have to make the call on Kancey. So hit or miss, really a gamble with both amazing upside and bust potential.

DT > WR > OL > RB > TE

Those are the needs

shoop

Semi-contributing member

I'm glad I don't have to make the call on Kancey. So hit or miss, really a gamble with both amazing upside and bust potential.

DT > WR > OL > RB > TE

Those are the needs
Agreed but I would probably flip OT and WR just because I don’t have faith in Tyron any longer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed but I would probably flip OT and WR just because I don’t have faith in Tyron any longer.
I would agree with that. Interestingly enough OL and DT are sort of counterparts to each other. You need the big strong guard to blow holes open for your RB and protect guys from being right in your QB's face. We need the DT to stuff the run and to get in the face of the QB to make his job and sight lines difficult. I at least think the Cowboys view O-line as a priority. I'm still a big baffled by our lack of interest at DT. I like Osa and I think Hankins is a nice run defender. But Hankins is mostly a sub run defender for most NFL teams. The rest of the DT depth chart is Golston, Bohanna and Gallimore. Gallimore just looks like trash at this point. He will be lucky to have a job at the start of the season. Golston and Bohanna while both young still haven't shown capable of doing a hole lot other than playing a few snaps here or there.

The position just feels extremely thin and lacking any top end talent. I'm hoping that our draft picks reflect a different attitude about the position than our 30 visits.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I have faith in Tyron when he's on the field playing LT or with a full offseason preparing for RT.

I have less faith in Gallup rn and am concerned Lamb is our only true weapon short of bringing Tony Pollard into the passing game. Especially with less depth and top-end talent at TE.

I can't assume Gallup is going to come all the way back, and he was always more of a 3rd option kind of player anyway who we keep projecting to be a number 2 but never consistently achieved that status.

I agree the OL is aging, and I'm a firm believer in drafting OL depth every draft

bleedsblue42021117

DCC 4Life
Did Brandin Cooks die?
they are underestimating Cooks because one he was with the Texans and been traded so much and we didnt pay much to get him(umm same as cooper to browns) but if they took the time they would realize Cooks has had career that very much mirrored Coopers and can be plus for this offense. the guy can still pay 2 of his last 3seaosn were over 1k with scrubs at QB..
Unproven in our offense maybe but for sure cooks could be weapon.. so could Ferguson or hendershot, one could arrive on the 2023 scene with a boom..

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I have faith in Tyron when he's on the field playing LT or with a full offseason preparing for RT.

I have less faith in Gallup rn and am concerned Lamb is our only true weapon short of bringing Tony Pollard into the passing game. Especially with less depth and top-end talent at TE.

I can't assume Gallup is going to come all the way back, and he was always more of a 3rd option kind of player anyway who we keep projecting to be a number 2 but never consistently achieved that status.

I agree the OL is aging, and I'm a firm believer in drafting OL depth every draft
When he is on the field I love Tyron. He just hasn’t been able to stay there consistently. I would prefer to have the backup plan in place for guard because Tyler has proven he can handle left tackle.

bleedsblue42021117

DCC 4Life
I would agree with that. Interestingly enough OL and DT are sort of counterparts to each other. You need the big strong guard to blow holes open for your RB and protect guys from being right in your QB's face. We need the DT to stuff the run and to get in the face of the QB to make his job and sight lines difficult. I at least think the Cowboys view O-line as a priority. I'm still a big baffled by our lack of interest at DT. I like Osa and I think Hankins is a nice run defender. But Hankins is mostly a sub run defender for most NFL teams. The rest of the DT depth chart is Golston, Bohanna and Gallimore. Gallimore just looks like trash at this point. He will be lucky to have a job at the start of the season. Golston and Bohanna while both young still haven't shown capable of doing a hole lot other than playing a few snaps here or there.

The position just feels extremely thin and lacking any top end talent. I'm hoping that our draft picks reflect a different attitude about the position than our 30 visits.
I wouldn't call what our group at DT was last year as scrubs or trash.. sure the right NT/DT1 come up grab him But,

we were top 7 last year on defense, even with all those injuries and ended up graded better then then the eagles in the run game. Our run defense was 4.4 YPC, theirs was 4.6, we gave up 9 rushing tds, they gave up 14, yards about the same.

I realize the need but we had a very good defense against the run at time especially the playoffs.

the eagles value the DT so much it keeps being talked about, but our D ended up closely ranked EVEN with some of those bad games in the middle of the season.

we will be top 5 without a premier dt this year, the d improved already IMO. Book it.

BTW this used to be narrative about Safety, they finally got a safety group that is very good. thank god this place wanted berry, Thomas and Jamal Adams and those would have been mistakes, they did the right thing..

they have not ignored DT, they just not picked the correct ones, yet...

p1_

DCC 4Life

DT > WR > OL > RB > TE

Those are the needs
Give me Mazi.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Should the DCC create a Bradie Bottle Lock Thread to keep tabs of all the guarantees, book it, and bottle locks?
This actually might not be a bad idea.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Does @Genghis Khan accept the latest lingo trend of keeping receipts?

Should the DCC create a Bradie Bottle Lock Thread to keep tabs of all the guarantees, book it, and bottle locks?
Keeping receipts is not acceptable jargon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom