**2023 Cowboys Pre-Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
For posting Cowboys draft buildup content...

• Love
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most wonderful time of the year (once the inevitable disappointment of FA passes).
Yeah, I don't even look forward to free agency. The first 2 weeks of free agency are just the most frustrating. The sad thing is I don't remember it always being that way. I remember a time when free agency was exciting. We still for the most part sucked at it but we at least were willing to sign guys. We just often times targeted dumb players.

But the draft is like the one thing I still get excited about. I still spend my entire weekend focused on the draft. Call it stupid, call it a waste of time, call it whatever but I enjoy the shit out of it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I don't even look forward to free agency. The first 2 weeks of free agency are just the most frustrating. The sad thing is I don't remember it always being that way. I remember a time when free agency was exciting. We still for the most part sucked at it but we at least were willing to sign guys. We just often times targeted dumb players.

But the draft is like the one thing I still get excited about. I still spend my entire weekend focused on the draft. Call it stupid, call it a waste of time, call it whatever but I enjoy the shit out of it.
We've been one of the best regular season teams over the last 10 years in the NFC and that's mostly due to the draft, I'll take that over the slop shit we were in the late 90's/early 00's despite signing a few big name FA's.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've been one of the best regular season teams over the last 10 years in the NFC and that's mostly due to the draft, I'll take that over the slop shit we were in the late 90's/early 00's despite signing a few big name FA's.
I couldn't agree more. Just wish we could use some of our good draft evaluation skills on NFL free agents too. Let's face it, those 90's early 00's teams couldn't evaluate free agents or the draft for shit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Dan Quinn at the Combine:

I wanted Woolen early day 3 last year but they probably didn't take him because they thought dumbass Wright would develop.

I'd take Brents as early as round 3, if he's there in the 4th you take him no matter what basically.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wanted Woolen early day 3 last year but they probably didn't take him because they thought dumbass Wright would develop.

I'd take Brents as early as round 3, if he's there in the 4th you take him no matter what basically.
That is my spot for a corner. Not before.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Round 4/5/6 is the money area for DBs for us. I'm cool if we take all CBs and Safetys in those rounds.
It is only recently with Bland in terms of the cornerbacks.

Remember Reggie Robinson in 2020?

That was McClay's pet cat that is totally out of the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You're not going to bat 100. But if one of those guys turns out to be a Bland, Wilson or Brown I'm pretty happy. It's why I don't mind the shotgun approach. Take 3 of them. Hit on one or two. It's better than taking more Josh Balls. Plus I think we have a great secondary coach.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

That was pre-Quinn, though. Wright aside (and he's not complete shite, either) he seems to have a late round prototype he can get to play in the NFL.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

We have a history of hitting on day 3 CB's over the last 10-15 years though, Bland is just the most recent, but you also have Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown who were both long-term starters.

Finding a long-term starting CB on day 3 every 4-5 years is impressive, and that's not even including guys who went on to be players elsewhere like Michael Jackson and Charvarius Ward.

As far as the scouting evaluations are concerned those are hits, even if the bigger picture is that the organization wasn't patient enough with them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You're not going to bat 100. But if one of those guys turns out to be a Bland, Wilson or Brown I'm pretty happy. It's why I don't mind the shotgun approach. Take 3 of them. Hit on one or two. It's better than taking more Josh Balls. Plus I think we have a great secondary coach.
I think you meant 1000. :lol

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We have a history of hitting on day 3 CB's over the last 10-15 years though, Bland is just the most recent, but you also have Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown who were both long-term starters.

Finding a long-term starting CB on day 3 every 4-5 years is impressive, and that's not even including guys who went on to be players elsewhere like Michael Jackson and Charvarius Ward.

As far as the scouting evaluations are concerned those are hits, even if the bigger picture is that the organization wasn't patient enough with them.
Especially when you consider the high round whiffs in Morris Claiborne and Mike Jenkins.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Joseph also totally fucks our recent CB drafting record overall.

Early signs are he's a total bust in the 2nd round... ouch

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Joseph also totally fucks our recent CB drafting record overall.

Early signs are he's a total bust in the 2nd round... ouch
And Wright isn't much better. Imagine needing a corner and starting a guy off the streets like we did with Rhodes last year.

Maybe on this position at least, the coaches need to stay out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom