**2023 Cowboys Pre-Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, Mayer and Kincaid I get, they're going in the first and either of them are arguably the BPA if available. I don't like the health risk on Kincaid but it sounds like he's fully cleared and it's not an issue, we'll see.

But the point is that Mayer or Kincaid at 26 are logical enough, Musgrave or LaPorta is simply pure nonsense, just trade down 10-15 spots for literally anything and still get one of the two.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, Mayer and Kincaid I get, they're going in the first and either of them are arguably the BPA if available. I don't like the health risk on Kincaid but it sounds like he's fully cleared and it's not an issue, we'll see.

But the point is that Mayer or Kincaid at 26 are logical enough, Musgrave or LaPorta is simply pure nonsense, just trade down 10-15 spots for literally anything and still get one of the two.
I don't know why you're throwing LaPorta in with Musgrave!!!

But I mean if anyone is suggesting we take LaPorta in the first I agree. And god forbid you miss out on LaPorta and you really feel like you have to get a TE, Kraft is a killer consolation prize. I honestly think he would have been the best TE in last years draft. This is not a draft to fear that there is a run on TE's and you can't get one though. So there is really zero reason to panic in the first and take one.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't know why you're throwing LaPorta in with Musgrave!!!

But I mean if anyone is suggesting we take LaPorta in the first I agree. And god forbid you miss out on LaPorta and you really feel like you have to get a TE, Kraft is a killer consolation prize. I honestly think he would have been the best TE in last years draft. This is not a draft to fear that there is a run on TE's and you can't get one though. So there is really zero reason to panic in the first and take one.
That's what I'm saying with LaPorta, you just can't square taking him at 26.

I like him plenty, he might even be my top choice in the 2nd depending on the board, but taking him at 26 would just be pure laziness.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The interesting part of this is that we're right on the verge of being arguably the favorite in the NFC to make the Super Bowl, so with that in mind how much does that impact who they draft over the next few days?
You've mentioned this a couple of times and I'm not so sure. Yes we've won 12 games back to back and that has been a solid achievement reflecting what's been a mostly solid roster, but a lot could be different...

- Our pass rush has been nearly 100% contingent on Parsons creating something, either himself or through accounting for him enabling another. There's a role player here or there, but as his 6 sacks attest DLaw is finished as a lead pass rusher. Such over-dependence on one man-- and a LB at that for such a critical part of the game is not a good place to be.

- Our rushing game relied on Zeke eating up tough carries clearing the way for Pollard to excel. He gained over 4.5 per carry in 5 of the first 8 games and was a great pass blocker throughout. Then he fell off the map and we went 3-2 down the stretch and were terrible vs SF. Who has replaced Zeke's tough carries from the start of the year?

- Our receiving corps is one guy and through a nice trade, MAYBE another guy. Frankly, I'm not sure about Cooks. Gallup sucks-- honestly until proven otherwise. It would be one thing if he gave us even a glimmer, but he was statistically nearly the worst NFL starter at WR. Tolbert-- that's a laugher. We definitely lack the steady possession guy and that is exacerbated by...

- We have very average TE's, and we just lost Dalton Schultz. Who replaces that production?

- Our OL has some promise, but Tyron Smith and Zach Martin are not young guys, McGovern is gone, and Terence Steele is still really hurt. Versus the physical SF pass rush last year we struggled to establish the LOS and worse Dak played harried. How do we maintain a high standard in January up front (besides avoiding SF in the playoffs)?

- And of course the elephant in the room... there is no DT truly worth a damn in Dallas and that is a position all champions have well-represented on their team. We are not a great run-stopping team and are terrible at rushing from the interior. This is as good a year as any for Quinn's smoke and mirrors to stop working.

@Simpleton you asked how this one draft will be impacted by our perceived strengths, but I don't exactly perceive them as incredibly strong. I think if we don't address at least some of these concerns in this draft we will have a much, much lower chance of getting another 12+ win season.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll agree on DT and TE, those are the two spots where a 1st rounder would have a clear/direct path to significant playing time, as well as the OL simply because of the shuffling chairs and Tyron's inevitable injuries.

As for the rest; edge rusher, WR and RB, I think you're fretting over depth. We definitely need a 2nd RB but that can be easily had in the 3rd/4th, we could use another WR or edge rusher but it's nowhere near a glaring need for a number of reasons and anybody we take high would likely just be a rotational guy as a rookie.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I'll agree on DT and TE, those are the two spots where a 1st rounder would have a clear/direct path to significant playing time, as well as the OL simply because of the shuffling chairs and Tyron's inevitable injuries.

As for the rest; edge rusher, WR and RB, I think you're fretting over depth. We definitely need a 2nd RB but that can be easily had in the 3rd/4th, we could use another WR or edge rusher but it's nowhere near a glaring need for a number of reasons and anybody we take high would likely just be a rotational guy as a rookie.
I think RB is a bigger need than people think. I still wouldn’t take one until the third unless they were the overwhelming BPA. Then I would not be upset if we ended up with two of them in the last 4 rounds.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's what I'm saying with LaPorta, you just can't square taking him at 26.

I like him plenty, he might even be my top choice in the 2nd depending on the board, but taking him at 26 would just be pure laziness.
I have been pretty clear about LaPorta how I view him as a player. But value in a deep class, it is negligent to ignore that. If the class were thin, I could see it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I'm not fretting as much as realizing we almost have to nail this draft to maintain much hope of status quo, let alone getting better.

Too many weaknesses here and there that need buttoning up.

For example, we're saying we can replace what Zeke did in the first half of the year with a 3rd/4th round guy. Suppose we choose Zach Charbonnet and he ends up a complete bust? It's possible, maybe even likely that he won't be great.

But we're kind of counting on that pick (or for Pollard to stay incredibly healthy).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not fretting as much as realizing we almost have to nail this draft to maintain much hope of status quo, let alone getting better.

Too many weaknesses here and there that need buttoning up.

For example, we're saying we can replace what Zeke did in the first half of the year with a 3rd/4th round guy. Suppose we choose Zach Charbonnet and he ends up a complete bust? It's possible, maybe even likely that he won't be great.

But we're kind of counting on that pick (or for Pollard to stay incredibly healthy).
You really think what Zeke did the first half of the year was "great"? 124 carries, 485 yards and 3.9 yards per carry in his first 8 games of the season. Those are some low standards for greatness at RB?

Yes, I think another RB can produce that for 8 games. Probably like 10+ guys in this draft. But yes RB is absolutely a need. You can't expect Pollard to shoulder a heavy load and Ronald Jones got benched for fumbling, so that's not going to give anyone warm and fuzzy feelings. But you just need to get someone who can be solid and hit the hole and get the yards there. Shouldn't be that hard.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Kincaid, I would be ok with. If we draft Mayer or any other TE in the first it’s a bad pick. Stay on the lines with a DT,DE, or OL. We seem to do best with those picks.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Guys, we’re getting a guy most likely with a 2nd round grade at 26 and we all know need positions get bumped up near the top in the rankings of each round. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are multiple TE’s near the top of our second round list. Our only saving grace is a 1st round slip.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What do you bet the plan is a small trade back to recoup the 5th we traded for Cooks, then take LaPorta.

They get that pick back (they love thinking like that) plus we feel a little better if 26 is a bit rich for LaPorta.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you bet the plan is a small trade back to recoup the 5th we traded for Cooks, then take LaPorta.

They get that pick back (they love thinking like that) plus we feel a little better if 26 is a bit rich for LaPorta.
With a TE the fifth year option isn't as big of a deal. TE contracts are cheap.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Kincaid, I would be ok with. If we draft Mayer or any other TE in the first it’s a bad pick. Stay on the lines with a DT,DE, or OL. We seem to do best with those picks.
Part of me thinks the TE talk is a red herring and we draft either a G or a DT. They've been very clear that your first rounder has to start right away, and there's a clear path there. Plus Mike has said repeatedly that he wants as many good big men as possible on both sides of the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Mazi or Avila or even Wright (if he lasts that long).

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
Part of me thinks the TE talk is a red herring and we draft either a G or a DT. They've been very clear that your first rounder has to start right away, and there's a clear path there. Plus Mike has said repeatedly that he wants as many good big men as possible on both sides of the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Mazi or Avila or even Wright (if he lasts that long).
A good OL or DT would be ideal.

data

Forbes #1
1 hour before Carolina is on the clock. Time to shut this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom