**2023 Cowboys Pre-Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tyler Conklin. Did you know he played basketball in a small university.
I mean if Tyler MFer Conklin is so good, I feel ok about Ferguson and Hendershot. But I get it, teams with real needs aren't going to want to draft a TE in the first like Mayer. It's going to be a luxury type pick for a team that has all of their needs sort of buttoned up. Don't take that the wrong way, but teams like the Jets are looking for true difference makers. I don't think teams probably view Mayer as a true difference maker. If we take him I hope those teams are wrong.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I think this is why a lot of people don't see value in a first round TE.
But that's a top 5 TE in the NFL if you put those numbers up. If you get that for 10 years at TE with above average blocking that is worth a late first round pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd prefer no luxury picks and stick with the clear difference-maker, lineman, or maybe edge player.

Heck, I'd prefer a CB over these TE's, and that's saying something

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But that's a top 5 TE in the NFL if you put those numbers up. If you get that for 10 years at TE with above average blocking that is worth a late first round pick.
Question is would he earn it because he himself is great like Witten, or as a by-product of running the offense like Schultz?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean if Tyler MFer Conklin is so good, I feel ok about Ferguson and Hendershot. But I get it, teams with real needs aren't going to want to draft a TE in the first like Mayer. It's going to be a luxury type pick for a team that has all of their needs sort of buttoned up. Don't take that the wrong way, but teams like the Jets are looking for true difference makers. I don't think teams probably view Mayer as a true difference maker. If we take him I hope those teams are wrong.
The Jets have a much bigger need at LT, especially now that they have Rodgers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it make a big impact on offense to get numbers equal to or less than you'd expect from a third receiver? It's not that it's not a really good TE, it's a positional value thing. Do those types have a massive impact on an offense? You could have the best FB ever and you wouldn't take him in the first, because of positional value. With TE if you're not getting elite, you're probably not having a big impact on the offense. Or at least that's kind of the way a lot of people view TE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The real issue is not whether or not Meyer is a talent value per se, but man, every model I have done taking him ends up badly.

There are some real pain points in this draft. If you want an OL, you are going to have to take them in the first two rounds or be left in the cold. TEs? I think there is a supply. That is the luxury issue I don't care for.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The real issue is not whether or not Meyer is a talent value per se, but man, every model I have done taking him ends up badly.

There are some real pain points in this draft. If you want an OL, you are going to have to take them in the first two rounds or be left in the cold. TEs? I think there is a supply. That is the luxury issue I don't care for.
Yeah, that also does make it difficult. You're basically taking the deepest position in the draft in the first. So it leaves you struggling to fill less deep positions like Oline.

In an ideal world you take advantage of a really deep TE draft. Taking one in the first wastes that opportunity.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

This makes sense, their 2nd best WR is Romeo Doubs, that's a much bigger issue than not having a TE. Even if they miss out on Njigba I wouldn't be shocked if they took Addison, and if not him then probably a lineman.

There's a 0.0% chance they take a TE 13th overall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This makes sense, their 2nd best WR is Romeo Doubs, that's a much bigger issue than not having a TE. Even if they miss out on Njigba I wouldn't be shocked if they took Addison, and if not him then probably a lineman.

There's a 0.0% chance they take a TE 13th overall.
But the TEs are better than the WRs!

Yeah you're right though. They will just grab a TE later. Which is probably the logic of a lot of NFL teams. But someone has to take the first one.

Also that has to bug Rodgers a little if the Packers finally take a first round WR, after he leaves.

shoop

Semi-contributing member

Yep. Linemen and Big boy DTs are going to go quick. You might be able to talk me into taking Mazi Smith in the first or Iaki(sp?) in the second.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Green Bay isn't taking a TE at 13 and if you believe these mock drafts they're about the only team strongly interested in a TE ahead of us.
Something tells me you're not going to see the TEs really start going until the second round. I think Mayer goes round 1 but I'm not going to be shocked if he is the only one. But when they start going in the second I think you could see a quick run.

The Kincaids, Washington, Musgrave and a LaPorta or Kraft thrown in there. I could see them all going before our pick in the second round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Linemen and Big boy DTs are going to go quick. You might be able to talk me into taking Mazi Smith in the first or Iaki(sp?) in the second.
Yeah its a thin group of DTs. I kind of like Dexter and Pickens but I'm afraid if you don't take guys like that in the second they will be gone. I think both could go before Ika because I think they bring more disruptive ability.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Question to some of you guys... Not calling you out at all and I'm not saying I know better. But do you still like Avila at 26? I see him as the consensus third or fourth G on some sites... I think on the McGinn poll, the scouts had him as the fourth, with Mauch getting twice the score he got.

Do you just disagree with the those guys, or have you changed your opinion any?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Question to some of you guys... Not calling you out at all and I'm not saying I know better. But do you still like Avila at 26? I see him as the consensus third or fourth G on some sites... I think on the McGinn poll, the scouts had him as the fourth, with Mauch getting twice the score he got.

Do you just disagree with the those guys, or have you changed your opinion any?
Yes he's in my top 5 of guys I'd take at 26 once you realistically account for who will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom