2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
JFC. Carlos Watkins leaving doesn't change anything. If he were here playing significant snaps, you'd still have the same need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
JFC. Carlos Watkins leaving doesn't change anything. If he were here playing significant snaps, you'd still have the same need.
Yeah it shouldn't change things but it does sort of open a roster spot. I'm sure there was the thought we could always fall back on Watkins.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah it shouldn't change things but it does sort of open a roster spot. I'm sure there was the thought we could always fall back on Watkins.
good that we cant fall back on him. Get another one, a good one.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

He doesn't change anything per se, but he was a nice fallback option that they now don't have. Watkins could fill a role. Now they need a guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Poona Ford or Mike Pennell would be nice pickups but DT should obviously be a focus either way in the draft.
I would be very pleased if they looked at Ford. But I don’t see it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He doesn't change anything per se, but he was a nice fallback option that they now don't have. Watkins could fill a role. Now they need a guy.
But we can get a guy off the street or even a cut next camp who is as good as Watkins. He didn't even make the team last year and made it through waivers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But we can get a guy off the street or even a cut next camp who is as good as Watkins. He didn't even make the team last year and made it through waivers.
True. But the guy did everything asked and he had to go to the poverty Cardinals for his deal.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hell I'm even ok if they pick another DT off the veteran scrap heap. That's all Watkins was and has been. It's time to draft a guy again though.
Right?! I say grab a FA ( watkins is an easy replaceable) and spend some valuable draft capital, at least round 2/3.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Watkins was a quality depth loss at our weakest position. We def lost out there.

Unfortunately that woefully disregarded position (nearly 3 decades) is also one of if not the most impactful an defense

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Right?! I say grab a FA ( watkins is an easy replaceable) and spend some valuable draft capital, at least round 2/3.
They have to think ahead to 2024. Right now there is one guy in Odighizuwa that I would feel comfortable starting that season.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But we can get a guy off the street or even a cut next camp who is as good as Watkins.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not saying Watkins is a pro bowler or anything, but I do believe he's better than Gallimore and much better than Bohanna. I feel like most guys you pull off the street are Gallimore/Bohanna level (or worse).

We certainly can find a competent guy, but not bringing back Watkins means we still need to do it.

And yes, we can draft a guy too. But keep in mind that we drafted in the middle rounds in recent years guys like Gallimore, Bohanna, Hill, Ridgeway, and Collins. It's not as easy as just drafting a guy.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm not so sure about that. I'm not saying Watkins is a pro bowler or anything, but I do believe he's better than Gallimore and much better than Bohanna. I feel like most guys you pull off the street are Gallimore/Bohanna level (or worse).

We certainly can find a competent guy, but not bringing back Watkins means we still need to do it.

And yes, we can draft a guy too. But keep in mind that we drafted in the middle rounds in recent years guys like Gallimore, Bohanna, Hill, Ridgeway, and Collins. It's not as easy as just drafting a guy.
I just don't think that much of him. I think our weakness at that position got him more attention than he deserved.

I bet Golston could do a similar job -- not a starter, not a true NT, more of an in-between, all-around player who can move and make some plays.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Ridgeway seemed to be the sort of nasty guy we'd like.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wonder what happened with him here.

I still say he was so bad in camp, though. He usually ran last team, or close, and even then barely ever showed anything. I wonder if his attitude wasn't right, or he was so out of shape he couldn't show what he could do. Wonder what the Skins did to get him going. Maybe being cut woke him up.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wonder what happened with him here.

I still say he was so bad in camp, though. He usually ran last team, or close, and even then barely ever showed anything. I wonder if his attitude wasn't right, or he was so out of shape he couldn't show what he could do. Wonder what the Skins did to get him going. Maybe being cut woke him up.
i seem to recall him getting pushed back/around a lot. Especially for a guy that came in barking alot, talking lots of trash.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He got bullied in the preseason pretty bad.

Maybe he was okay coming in and spotting for two Pro Bowl DTs when they had worn down their opposing interior OL for a whole game. The highlight of his season was performing a rasslin' move on Dameon Pierce.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He didn't do much in DC. I just hated cutting him for a shitty, no account receiver.

Top Bottom