2023 Cowboys Free Agency

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I wonder what happened to him in KC to be phased out to a trash back. I would have been more interested in McKinnon.

It does appear he can be more of a threat than Elliott was as a receiver and he complements Pollard much better.

When Big Head and the Nose Rings hit the field, everyone knew a pass to him was not a threat.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some people seem to be suggesting it had at least partially to do with pass protection.
They may have just had too many backs. Pacheco was really good as their lead rusher. McKinnon was their best third down back. Clyde Edwards was their first round pick that they wanted to give every opportunity to earn that draft status. Ronald Jones I think just got lost in the shuffle. Not a better receiver than McKinnon, not a top pick for them like Clyde Edwards and Pacheco just kind of earned what he got.

Seems like with that many backs he just didn't really get a shot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They may have just had too many backs. Pacheco was really good as their lead rusher. McKinnon was their best third down back. Clyde Edwards was their first round pick that they wanted to give every opportunity to earn that draft status. Ronald Jones I think just got lost in the shuffle. Not a better receiver than McKinnon, not a top pick for them like Clyde Edwards and Pacheco just kind of earned what he got.

Seems like with that many backs he just didn't really get a shot.
Perhaps. McKinnon was pretty good last year. That is the guy I would have gone after between the two.

But Jones is coming home and will get to eat Whataburger on the regular. So he might rebound.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps. McKinnon was pretty good last year. That is the guy I would have gone after between the two.

But Jones is coming home and will get to eat Whataburger on the regular. So he might rebound.
Yeah, I just wonder if they weren't looking at it as McKinnon is more of a receiver than RB at this point. Which is what Pollard is great at. They may have viewed Jones as a better compliment to Pollard. I think we will still take a RB but they are hedging their bets in case a third, fourth or fifth round RB isn't ready to split carries. Ronald Jones is the safety option basically.

Ultimately Pollard is your lead guy. It's about complimenting his game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Eh, I think he's just insurance in case the draft falls totally wrong for us for RBs.

Welp, stamped again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, I think he's just insurance in case the draft falls totally wrong for us for RBs.
Yep basically, we will still take a RB. And with Jones the running back we draft could be a battering ram or it could be a speedy dude. They have that ability because they know Ronald Jones can take some of those tough carries if needed.

Let's say you love Achane more than Charbonnet for example. Well now you don't feel like you have to take the big back. You can draft the smaller guy knowing that Pollard may be out the door after this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, I just wonder if they weren't looking at it as McKinnon is more of a receiver than RB at this point. Which is what Pollard is great at. They may have viewed Jones as a better compliment to Pollard. I think we will still take a RB but they are hedging their bets in case a third, fourth or fifth round RB isn't ready to split carries. Ronald Jones is the safety option basically.

Ultimately Pollard is your lead guy. It's about complimenting his game.
It is like backup QB. Sometimes the backup RB has to also do some of the things a RB1 does. Otherwise you telegraph what is happening when a guy is subbed in. That is what happened with Elliott.

p1_

DCC 4Life
both viable options that would improve our interior.

Top Bottom