2023 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He does jump around and move well for a guy that big. Really light on his feet.

But dude. Gotta lose that rack.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
“Defense”. LOL
That unit is a joke.
Lincoln Riley needs to admit he made a mistake with the Grinch hire and fire him after the season ends.

A low talent squad like San Jose State was giving their defense fits. Imagine what's going to happen once they hit the meat of their schedule and have to play teams who are significantly more talented.

It's going to be the same song and dance from their Oklahoma days. The offense is going to have to score 40 to even have a shot at winning.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Lincoln Riley needs to admit he made a mistake with the Grinch hire and fire him after the season ends.

A low talent squad like San Jose State was giving their defense fits. Imagine what's going to happen once they hit the meat of their schedule and have to play teams who are significantly more talented.

It's going to be the same song and dance from their Oklahoma days. The offense is going to have to score 40 to even have a shot at winning.
That’s what I told my friends who are USC fans. There’s no excuse to openly ignore defense the way that Riley does. Having a collection of seriously undersized nobodies whose jobs are to just stand in the way won’t allow them to win anything. My Wolverines are likely salivating to play them, because USC would lose by at least 3 TDs.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
In all seriousness, I think Grinch may get a bit of a bad rap because I put a lot of that on the head coach. I think all those Air Raid guys structure their practices to focus on passing and not physicality. And running a bunch of plays always puts your defense in a bad spot.

So I don't think changing DCs is going to magically change their defense that much.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
In all seriousness, I think Grinch may get a bit of a bad rap because I put a lot of that on the head coach. I think all those Air Raid guys structure their practices to focus on passing and not physicality. And running a bunch of plays always puts your defense in a bad spot.

So I don't think changing DCs is going to magically change their defense that much.
There could be some truth to this. But I will point out that in Grinch's one year at Ohio State their defense was pretty bad.

They were consistently a top 5-10 defense the few years before he showed up in 2018. Once they brought him in as co-defensive coordinator they dropped to 68th in defensive rankings.

After he left to Oklahoma they're right back to fielding top 10ish defenses.

So what I'm saying is, you might have a point about the Air Raid effect, but in this case the problem is him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom