2023 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroClub

UFA
When your wife gets her haircut, you are expected to A) notice and B) say something complimentary.
If she changes her hairstyle, you are expected to A) notice and B) say something complimentary.
These rules apply no matter how often your wife does the above.

But football is different. Who the fuck decided that football should become Project Runway?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Steve & Barry's > Nike

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Now, we get to play Deion every year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Wow.

I've always said the Pac-12 is doomed because people out there simply don't love football like they do in the south and midwest, and it's really happening now.

The real shame is that the original Big 12 with A&M and Nebraska and Mizzou and CU broke up. I loved that league. If they'd stayed together, OU and Texas probably never go to the SEC.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
The real shame is that the original Big 12 with A&M and Nebraska and Mizzou and CU broke up. I loved that league. If they'd stayed together, OU and Texas probably never go to the SEC.
I don't believe that. Loyalty only goes so far these days and the money associated with college athletics as a whole (and football in particular) is just insane. Those teams don't really move the needle for tv contracts like the SEC I think OU and Texas still get the opportunity and bolt. Greed will win out every time.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Wow.

I've always said the Pac-12 is doomed because people out there simply don't love football like they do in the south and midwest, and it's really happening now.

The big 10 would likely give Nebraska back if you ask nicely.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The big 10 would likely give Nebraska back if you ask nicely.
I bet if they were honest, a bunch of their fans wish they'd never made that move.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't believe that. Loyalty only goes so far these days and the money associated with college athletics as a whole (and football in particular) is just insane. Those teams don't really move the needle for tv contracts like the SEC I think OU and Texas still get the opportunity and bolt. Greed will win out every time.
As big as the SEC has become, maybe. But I think that original B12 would be closer to the Big Ten today and the commensurate huge TV contact. Maybe close enough for the big two to stay.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
As big as the SEC has become, maybe. But I think that original B12 would be closer to the Big Ten today and the commensurate huge TV contact. Maybe close enough for the big two to stay.
I just don't see it. The TV contracts are too focused on market size and the original Big 12 just didn't have many. They owned the state of Texas, but not much outside that. A large region of the country for sure, but not as many TV sets. It's the sole reason the conference expanded to Orlando, Cincinnati and a national brand in BYU.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't know. When those teams left they Big 12 they were still considered quality top 25 programs. Even Missouri was making Big 12 title games and fielding top 10 teams that won 10+ games per year.

Once they left to other conferences they fell through the cracks. They all secured more money but the moves haven't benefitted any of them on the field. The one program that's seen the most success is Texas A&M. And that "success" is basically them just holding serve and going 8-5 like they've always done.

If the original Big 12 stayed together historical rivalries would have stayed in tact and TV money would have flowed. Definitely not to the level of the SEC but I'd argue that they had enough momentum to at least be on the same level as the Big 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom