2022 Senior Bowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea the way Winfrey looked in practice he seems to play on the edge.
Like I said, there is some crazy to him.

I still can't help but hold that program against him.

Been there done that with Tapper. Now doing it again with Gallimore.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Notes:

-They are trying too hard with some of these interior OLs. Some of them are not meant to be centers. Cole Strange, for example.
-The QBs are meh. Howell can't do much else but run. Carson Strong is way overrated. Pickett is going to make some GM unemployed soon. And Willis is doing his best Russell Wilson impression.
-Christian Watson is pretty good.
-The Longhorns mascot is an asshole, but effective.
-The Doubs kid from Nevada is sneaky good. Does all the little things.
-DeAngelo Malone...I dunno what he can do in the NFL, but he's a weapon.
-I really wikey Luketa now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cincinnati's Desmond Ridder leads National team to 20-10 win over American team in Senior Bowl
6:02 PM ET
  • Associated Press
MOBILE, Ala. -- The pass rushers did their best to steal the show from quarterbacks Desmond Ridder and Kenny Pickett in the Senior Bowl.
Cincinnati's Ridder threw two touchdown passes and the National team had eight sacks in a 20-10 victory over the American team Saturday.

"We didn't come out here to lollygag through it," Minnesota defensive lineman Boye Mafe said. "We told each other to go out and have our best games and play our best football. This was our last time to get to represent our schools so why not go out on a good note.

Ridder helped finish off a job started by Pittsburgh's Pickett, a Heisman Trophy finalist who was 6-of-6 passing for 89 yards and a touchdown despite only playing the first quarter.

The National pass rushers made it a tough afternoon for their quarterback counterparts polishing off the weeklong showcase for top senior and graduated junior NFL prospects.

Oklahoma's Perrion Winfrey, Penn State's Jesse Luketa and Mafe each had two sacks. Luketa and Mafe also both forced a fumble on sacks of North Carolina quarterback Sam Howell.

Winfrey was the overall game MVP, while Mafe was the National player of the game and Western Kentucky defensive lineman DeAngelo Malone was picked as the top American team player.

Winfrey wore a jersey signed by teammates and got to follow in the Senior Bowl footsteps of Los Angeles Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald, a 2014 alum of the game.

"I've been dreaming about being in the Senior Bowl since I was a little kid," Winfrey said. "I saw Aaron Donald dominate the Senior Bowl and I wanted to be the next to do that."

Pickett and Liberty's Malik Willis were among the Senior Bowl passers vying with Mississippi's Matt Corral to be the first quarterback picked.

Willis started for the American team and mainly flashed his running and scrambling ability. He passed for just 11 yards but ran for a game-high 54 on four carries in the first quarter, flirting with a touchdown on a 27-yard scamper to end the first quarter.

Teams started each quarter with fresh possessions.

Ridder completed 4 of 6 passes for 68 yards to finish up with another win. He led Cincinnati to 44 wins in his career and to the College Football Playoffs this season, ending with a semifinal loss to Alabama.

The National team delivered most of the big plays, culminating with Ridder's 25-yard touchdown to Wisconsin tight end Jake Ferguson in the fourth quarter.

Pickett, who led Pitt to its first ACC championship, capped his performance with a 20-yard touchdown to Baylor running back Abram Smith late in the first quarter.

Pickett spent the rest of the game as a spectator. But he's hoping the week's performance impressed NFL teams after making a huge leap as a player and a prospect in his senior season.

"Everyone was saying it was a flash in the pan season," Pickett said. "Thirteen games playing at areally high level, I don't think it is.
"So I wanted to come down here and continue on that, being a consistent player."

Howell, who had teammates recover both of his fumbles, scrambled and passed the American team to its first score. He collected a wide snap and ran left for a 2-yard touchdown late in the third quarter.

Howell's one completion on the drive was a 19-yarder to Utah running back TJ Pledger, a late sub who only arrived in time for Thursday's practice and also had a 23-yard run.

North Dakota State's Christian Watson caught an underthrown ball going to the ground and quickly popped up for a 38-yarder to set up the touchdown.

Then Ridder rolled right and hit Colorado State tight end Trey McBride for a 6-yard touchdown late in the second.

Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky passed for a game-high 103 yards with an interception. Howell was 6 of 9 for 67 yards. Nevada's Carson strong also passed for 67 yards but threw an interception.

Winfrey got a trophy filled with peanut butter cups from sponsor Reese's but had no plans to enjoy them.

"I'm not going to eat one of these," he said.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Notes:

-They are trying too hard with some of these interior OLs. Some of them are not meant to be centers. Cole Strange, for example.
-The QBs are meh. Howell can't do much else but run. Carson Strong is way overrated. Pickett is going to make some GM unemployed soon. And Willis is doing his best Russell Wilson impression.
-Christian Watson is pretty good.
-The Longhorns mascot is an asshole, but effective.
-The Doubs kid from Nevada is sneaky good. Does all the little things.
-DeAngelo Malone...I dunno what he can do in the NFL, but he's a weapon.
-I really wikey Luketa now.
Luketa stood out at PSU against the run particularly. I don't think he has the juice to be a double digit sack guy but he'll probably be a really good rotational type for a long time, and if we could scoop him in the 4th that'd be pretty awesome.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't watch the game but recorded it. It was my 3 year olds birthday party. But it sounds like Winfrey had a game. I wonder how much stock teams will put into his week of practice. I'm starting to get a Chris Jones vibe from him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also don't know what Olineman they were up against. There are a few really good ones at the Senior Bowl and then a bunch of feh.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I didn't watch the game but recorded it. It was my 3 year olds birthday party. But it sounds like Winfrey had a game. I wonder how much stock teams will put into his week of practice. I'm starting to get a Chris Jones vibe from him.
He measured 6-4, 303 with 35+ inch arms and completely dominated the entire week if practice and the game, and he was reasonably productive at Oklahoma although I haven't watched him closely yet.

I'll have to watch him a bit closer but he may end up going closer to 24 than 56 or whatever our 2nd is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He measured 6-4, 303 with 35+ inch arms and completely dominated the entire week if practice and the game, and he was reasonably productive at Oklahoma although I haven't watched him closely yet.

I'll have to watch him a bit closer but he may end up going closer to 24 than 56 or whatever our 2nd is.
He looks like a legit pass rushing DT to me. I really like the guy. I think he would fit in great with Osa, Golston and Gallimore. I just hope Bohanna can make that next step because I really would like that monster in the middle. NTs take time.

I haven't watched much Oklahoma either. His stats don't look bad but not all stats are the same with Dlineman. Chris Jones for example only had like 2 sacks his last year in college. Karlaftis looks like a beast to me but only had like 4 sacks last year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's a good comp.

You won't see a lot of production at OU, at least his last year. I guess he was doubled a lot because he looked so good in 20. Watch 20 and you'll be very impressed. Especially because he was a JC transfer who hadn't played against major college OL before.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally not important for us but I saw 3 QBs in this game that could be NFL players. Ridder, Willis and Pickett. Not sure any are starters but they have skills I like. Willis mostly because his scrambling ability looks excellent. The rest I don't think are going to do much of anything in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good comp.

You won't see a lot of production at OU, at least his last year. I guess he was doubled a lot because he looked so good in 20. Watch 20 and you'll be very impressed. Especially because he was a JC transfer who hadn't played against major college OL before.
I know some may scoff but I'd put him in the mix at 24. I think you'll see him climb now and wouldn't be shocked to see him go late first or early second round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Howell by the way looks like utter garbage. So much worse than I expected. Maybe worth a sixth round flier. But I doubt he ever does anything in the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Howell by the way looks like utter garbage. So much worse than I expected. Maybe worth a sixth round flier. But I doubt he ever does anything in the NFL.
I don't think any of the QBs that played in this game are worth a first round pick. Some not even Rounds 2-3.

But we know there are going to be three-four QBs in the first no matter what. Most teams don't know how to evaluate the position to begin with and there will be reaches.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think any of the QBs that played in this game are worth a first round pick. Some not even Rounds 2-3.

But we know there are going to be three-four QBs in the first no matter what. Most teams don't know how to evaluate the position to begin with and there will be reaches.
Yeah there are about 3 or 4 guys I'd consider in the second. Probably none in the first in my opinion.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Like I said, there is some crazy to him.

I still can't help but hold that program against him.

Been there done that with Tapper. Now doing it again with Gallimore.
That's fair.

But he was a JUCO transfer who only spent 2 seasons at Oklahoma. Therefore he was was never exposed to the pre-2020 crap defenses that were tainted by Mike Stoops'.

Does that earn him a little more benefit of the doubt in your eyes?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boye Mafe is an interesting dude. Not sure how high I'd take him but I wouldn't be upset at all if he was drafted by the Cowboys. Just not sure how high I would put him yet. I don't want him in the first for example. Too rich for my blood.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Boye Mafe is an interesting dude. Not sure how high I'd take him but I wouldn't be upset at all if he was drafted by the Cowboys. Just not sure how high I would put him yet. I don't want him in the first for example. Too rich for my blood.
3rd seems right to me, I'd be ok with him as like a worst case scenario in the 2nd I feel like we should be able to do better there with the depth along the DL.

Like, there's about a 80% chance that someone like Travis Jones, Logan Hall, Phidarian Mathis, Myjai Sanders, etc. will be there, so that's the hope.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
3rd seems right to me, I'd be ok with him as like a worst case scenario in the 2nd I feel like we should be able to do better there with the depth along the DL.

Like, there's about a 80% chance that someone like Travis Jones, Logan Hall or Arnold Ebiketie will be there, so that's the hope.
I agree and if Winfrey is there in the second I'd be all over it at this point.

I also don't know what we are doing in the first. I'd love to draft lineman in this draft. But if the first pick is a LBer or something else than it really puts the squeez on in the second to find a legit starting lineman. Depending on which O-lineman are there I'm in the market for a starting LG in the second round.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree and if Winfrey is there in the second I'd be all over it at this point.

I also don't know what we are doing in the first. I'd love to draft lineman in this draft. But if the first pick is a LBer or something else than it really puts the squeez on in the second to find a legit starting lineman. Depending on which O-lineman are there I'm in the market for a starting LG in the second round.
I love Ed Ingram from LSU but the 2nd would be a reach, he'd be ideal in the 3rd, although waiting until the 3rd to find a starting LG is quite a risk. I guess theoretically McGovern isn't a terrible fallback plan if you assume that he'll improve and be more comfortable at LG, but that's a huge unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom