2022 Season | Week 5 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Rams | 10/09/2022

Tony D

DCC 4Life
In this case though Jones landed on Carr.

The refs are not yet allowed to judge intent, and landing on someone's torso is the trigger for the call.

Aikman believes the refs should be allowed to gauge intent before making a call, and I think he's right.

But right now the refs had no choice but to call Jones on that play.

The Brady play though was completely WTF. I mean, he got tackled. It's a rough game.
But if you brace the fall with your arm that comes into play they say. And Jones did with his left hand while he had the ball in his right!

What's he supposed to do here? Not take possession of the ball because he might land on the QB with his body weight? And even then he tried to brace his fall with his left hand so not all his body weight landed on Carr.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But if you brace the fall with your arm that comes into play they say. And Jones did with his left hand while he had the ball in his right!

What's he supposed to do here? Not take possession of the ball because he might land on the QB with his body weight? And even then he tried to brace his fall with his left hand so not all his body weight landed on Carr.
I agree he has to land somewhere, and what they are saying is that it can be anywhere but the QB's head and torso, accident or not.

Jones totally lost track of where he was going to land. In that case he has to grab the ball and spin away before impacting.

You have to fight to be seen as not landing on the QB.

Just like the Cowboys defenders have been religiously coached to do. When I see the way this Cowboys defense has been coached defensively I come away more and more impressed.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wait until one of these BS roughing penalties affects the Cowboys. This board will implode.

data

Forbes #1
There are different kinds of penalties. Gameplay penalties to penalize unfair advantage - holding, illegal formation, pass interference, etc - to protect fair play. Then, there are player safety penalties.

Gameplay penalties should affect game outcomes. You want to enforce safety, but you don’t want player safety penalties to affect game outcomes.

It’s amazing, and a shame, that somehow the state of the game has reached a point where player safety penalties too often ruin the integrity of game outcomes.

I’m not saying don’t throw flags at critical moments and I don’t have a fail proof solution to offer, but just remarking that it’s a shame that this is where the state of the game is at.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
It may be time to go to tag football.
Virtual football. All the action of executing a gameplay, but nobody physically gets touched. Run as fast as you want and virtually hit a QB as hard as you want.

Top Bottom