2022 Season | Week 4 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Redskins at Cowboys | 10/02/2022

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Armstrong both times as an interior rusher, this is the type of versatility/flexibility Gregory didn't have.

We already have one race car edge rusher in Parsons, and while in absolute terms Gregory is better than Armstrong, we are more in need of an interior rush who can push the middle of the pocket to complement that, and at half the price and able to give us about the same statistical performance, Armstrong is the better value.

data

Forbes #1
The no good double-doinker FG by the Saints reminded me of our 1996 loss against Colts, with Jim Harbaugh yelling How about Dem Colts

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don’t think Brown has been a 1:1 replacement of Cedrick Wilson but he has certainly been better than we had any right to expect after the first half decade of his career.
He has always been fine, and it's mostly a testament to the depth we have had at the position since Cooper joined the team that he's not really had his chances. The rest I attest to his chemistry with Dak, as in there is none. Dak throws at this guy's feet when he's open or won't throw a contested intermediate pass.

I agree he lacks the extra gear Wilson has, but Brown's a much stronger short-intermediate target. He's also proved on occasion he can get deep too like with his 45 yard catch and drawn PI in recent games.

Overall, Brown is averaging more YPC (15.2) than Wilson in 2021 (13.4) and if you project even 75% of his current pace he still finishes the year with 58 catches for over 880 yards, well past 2021 Wilson (45/602).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's literally inconceivable that they gave Elliott 19 carries to 8 or whatever for Pollard, with mose of those being telegraphed pitches.

Pollard can run up the gut too, and generally when a play is blocked for Elliott where he gets 2-4, Pollard is getting 4-6.

He's just the better runner now and yet they keep pounding their heads against the wall with Elliott.
When Pollard is on the field they almost can't sell pass pre-snap anymore. Dude can not block.

Pollard was getting jumped out of the gate, mostly because of that.

The more film teams get on us the worse this gets.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
When Pollard is on the field they almost can't sell pass pre-snap anymore. Dude can not block.

Pollard was getting jumped out of the gate, mostly because of that.

The more film teams get on us the worse this gets.
Sure, but there are ways around that and if Moore can't figure it out schematically then that's on him. Figuring out how to use an explosive back who isn't a great blocker isn't some fancy new riddle the league is trying to figure out, it's been a thing for years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sure, but there are ways around that and if Moore can't figure it out schematically then that's on him. Figuring out how to use an explosive back who isn't a great blocker isn't some fancy new riddle the league is trying to figure out, it's been a thing for years.
Of course. I think it caught up with them this game and they will work on it moving forward.

Traditionally you solve this by getting him a lead run blocker who can also pass block and catch. This way Pollard can go out into a pattern and the lead can stay in and block on pass plays.

This is the problem with Zeke and Pollard on the field as neither are lead blockers. Also if both are on the field, neither can rest.

As we don't have a fullback on the roster, we might see something like Ferguson at H-back.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think McCarthy is doing way more than people think.
Yep. But it's easy to point fingers at the guy at the top when things aren't going the way you want.

If Quinn is made HC next year, he'll end up being shit on too. Guaranteed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yep. But it's easy to point fingers at the guy at the top when things aren't going the way you want.

If Quinn is made HC next year, he'll end up being shit on too. Guaranteed.
Let's say we go 10-7 or even 11-6 on the back of a top 3 defense that puts up about 45-50 sacks, Parsons and Diggs are both 1st team All Pro again, roleplayers like Armstrong make a big leap putting up 6-8 sacks in the process, Parsons maybe even wins DPoY.

In the meantime the offense is generally fine, a bit inconsistent week to week, plays well against average and worse teams but still uneven against top teams, maybe statistically hovering around 8th-12th best in the league.

Most importantly, we go one and done in the playoffs again.

If Quinn is gone to where ever unless we make him the HC, would you rather keep McCarthy and lose Quinn (and potentially at least half or more of the defensive staff), while hiring Zimmer to be DC or just promoting someone internally like Whitt/Edwards, or would you rather get rid of McCarthy, hire Quinn and more or less keep the rest of the staff in place?

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Yea he's not blameless, but that was such a flukey set of circumstances that kept them from a SB that I'm not worried about him being a Wade Phillips.
And the thing I always hate is this guy failed doing this before, etc. Just because someone failed somewhere doesn't mean they don't learn from that and also continue to get better as a head guy or as a coordinator. Guys can evolve and improve as they move forward in their careers. You would hope that's the case. Many examples of guys who struggled their first go round.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And the thing I always hate is this guy failed doing this before, etc. Just because someone failed somewhere doesn't mean they don't learn from that and also continue to get better as a head guy or as a coordinator. Guys can evolve and improve as they move forward in their careers. You would hope that's the case. Many examples of guys who struggled their first go round.
True.

For that matter, look at how different Quinn's defense is from what he ran before. He totally revamped everything to the point that what we run now looks a lot like a 34 much of the time. Of course that fit perfectly with MM emphatically saying he didn't want a one-call defense and that we had to be multiple.

Maybe we should just win the whole thing this year before all these changes have to take place. :rock

Top Bottom